My problem with new video cards.

darealsoulless

I have fallen mostly out of touch with the PC hardware industry in the last two or so years, but have recently begun to research the newest, most "cutting-edge" hardware, and specifically with GPUs, I was not impressed.

First, let's give some background. The most recent PC I built was several years ago, and it packed an AMD FX processor and an R9 380. Performance at 1080p was very good on this machine. When looking at new cards, I began to notice that their performance at even 1080p is unimpressive, even for the top of the line models, such as Radeon VII and RTX 2080Ti. Much better than my old PC, but still not impressive. It seems like over the past 3 generations, the performance of video cards has plateaued, and with Nvidia's ridiculous pricing, it made me raise an eyebrow and ask, "What's the point of charging so much money for these cards?". Performance gains by generation seem to be very minimal, and to me buying a new Nvidia card at retail price is a massive rip, but don't be fooled to thinking I'm going to say "Buy a new AMD card, they're better" because quite honestly they aren't. I am aware that transistor density on a die is reaching/has reached the limits of what's possible with the technology we possess in today's world, but this holds no merit to me. The saying, "If there's a will, there's a way" should apply here, and they should have found outside-the-box ways to make the new generations of cards push their predecessors into obsolescence, but this just isn't the case. To me, buying a 980Ti would be much more worth it than RTX 2080Ti, because 2080Ti doesn't offer performance gains that justify its enormous price tag. Seriously, 2080Ti costs one thousand dollars. What a ridiculous price for a product that offers little gains over previous models. Sure, you can say features such as ray tracing that are not present in previous models could justify the price, but I see no difference in image quality. I recently contemplated building myself a brand new machine, but seeing how little the tech industry has moved in the past few years, I'd rather spend a fraction of the money and get a used last-gen Nvidia card then spend my entire bank balance on the "Top of the line" model that still fails to impress me. I was expecting to come back to the tech industry and see leaps and bounds made by both companies, but neither of them have released anything that really catches my eye as innovative, bleeding edge technology. So, I will either build a PC with mostly last-gen hardware, or wait until hardware is released that trumps the performance of what we have now. I'd like to know everyone else's feelings with this subject, so comment away.

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

I agree that the pricing has gone out of hands, but those cards are not aimed at 1080p. At 1080p resolution the CPU will be the bottleneck, when going higher like 1440p or even 4K you see the big differences compared to the previous generations. How much performance can your R9 380 give compared to 2080Ti when running at 4K? That is the question and worthy comparison.

1 minute ago, Mholes said:

I agree that the pricing has gone out of hands, but those cards are not aimed at 1080p. At 1080p resolution the CPU will be the bottleneck, when going higher like 1440p or even 4K you see the big differences compared to the previous generations. How much performance can your R9 380 give compared to 2080Ti when running at 4K? That is the question and worthy comparison.

I was also unimpressed with 1440p and 4k performance numbers, just using 1080p as a reference point.

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

Understandably there is some difficulty when comparing different video cards when it comes to capabilities and features versus cost.  But the biggest problem that I have found when it comes to the new video cards is that I don't have one and I'm still plugging along with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 with 2gigs of video ram.  Hopefully this summer I will be able to fix that problem with something along the lines of an Nvidia RX580.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709 601296377 601323902

5 minutes ago, GR1MES said:

I was also unimpressed with 1440p and 4k performance numbers, just using 1080p as a reference point.

Well i am pretty impressed that 2080Ti can run majority of games at 4K over 60fps. I mean yea price/perf sucks, and all the new fancy features that the RTX cards offer are not worth it yet. But when it comes to raw performance in games, the ~75% uplift in perf over 3 generations, (R9 380 vs 2080Ti), is still pretty impressive. In my opinion anyways :D

Hmm I kinda agree but also not. I think performance gains have been sufficient, although the general increase in price is a bit much. You should also not forget that if you see a review about a card in 2019 getting 60fps in some title at 1080p, that this probably is still an improvement over a game that got 60fps in some title at 1080p since games get more complex, even if the resolution stays the same. 

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

I was impressed with Pascal, I don't think people can say that the gain from the 9 series to the 10 series was bad, because it wasn't. I am not impressed by Turing though. Gaining 30% this generation compared to 50+% last generation, it's pretty poor. Not to mention the pricing is crazy. The 2070 feels like an overclocked 2060 with 2gb more vram, it's awful for the price. The xx60 is supposed to be for those majority of gamers who are on that £750 budget. Instead people struggle to fit it in and at 350 it's 100 more expensive than Pascal's 60 card. That's nearly 50% more expensive, crazy stuff. For those who are on low budgets, it's unacceptable.

For those who say 'Oh well, the 2060 destroys the vega 56 and matches the vega 64 for a similar price'. That's last generation that it is competing with. Last generation's HIGH-END cards should not be priced the same and in some cases better than the current generation MID-RANGE. If it was 250 last generation, it should be 250 this generation. I don't care if it has a major improvement in performance than the 1060. It's still a xx60 card and it should therefore hold that standard of being affordable for the average gamer.

Then there's the 2080ti and rtx titan, both of which are an absolute joke. You can argue the 'inflation' thing, but surely you can't go from 700 for the flagship to 1000 for the new one in the space of 2 years. And you certainly can't make a case for the titan, which is almost DOUBLE the price than the previous generation. The titan wasn't made for gaming, yes you are correct. But that doesn't mean they should be taking advantage of the more well-off in society either. 1500 is acceptable, given that it has far more vram than last generation. That's fine, I can deal with that. But 2500? Absolutely not.

I hope Navi delivers the rumours that have been fuelling it. A 2070 level performer at half the price would give Nvidia something to think about.

My two cents.

You can't ... for an example... compare the 1080p performance of a R9-380 in BF3 at 1080p versus a RTX 2080Ti in BF5 at 1080p.

BF5 being a more demanding software, will be more difficult to achieve higher FPS.

Quick Anandtech R9-380 vs Vega 64 comparison:

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2304?vs=2143

It looks like a pretty significant difference in performance...

Capture.PNG

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Also, comparing top of the notch hardware makes it even harder to see any huge numbers of improvement over the last years, and thats the reason why im still running my 4790k. There is simply not enough improvement to justify those prices, especially from Team Blue and Green.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X | GPU: Vega 64   | RAM: 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z | Storage:  Samsung 850 / Corsair MP510  | Mainboard: ASUS X570 Prime Pro | Case: Fractal Define R6 | PSU: Corsair RM750i  | Cooling: Custom Waterloop

You could have summed that all up as 'I'm not impressed with the raw performance increase of graphics cards over the last few generations and feel that a used last-gen card is much better value for 1080p gaming' 

Thing is, computationally they are exponentially better in every way. As others have mentioned at 1080p (which is becoming a lower-end resolution in the gaming world) you will be cpu bottlenecked so it won't matter which generation of graphics card you're using if it is remotely modern. 

IMO if you can't see the increased detail of higher resolutions, and aren't able to visually detect the increased smoothness from higher framerates, just get a mid level card and monitor. If anything your less-acute vision will actually save you a ton of money since you don't benefit from higher detail or fps. 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse