[POLL] Do you use a Password Manager?

Do you use a Password Manager?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently use a Password Manager?

• YES
    • NO

Yes you should use one.

But do not use LastPass, which was hacked several times.

28 minutes ago, Geography said:

This should be pretty self explanatory:

- If you use a password manager, then answer "YES"

- If you don't use a password manager, then answer "NO"

I made this thread because I've been seriously thinking of setting up a password manager recently, but I'm not sure if it's a great idea (because of security concerns).

Thanks!

if you find a LOCAL one that isnt tied to the interwebs then it fine just keep it on your phone with a paper copy of them all.

I used to say, no way.... Because of security reasons. I've also kept a non discript book with all of my passwords and account names and the URL in a location in my house, in a section of the book that only the wife and I knew where it was. Then one of the forums that I used got hacked, and the hackers sent me 4 different emails with my password in the clear (happened in January 2019) along with a request, in each email, to send them like $900 to a bitcoin account! Yeah, you guessed it! I went into paranoia overdrive changing all of my passwords and reloading computers and the whole 9! THAT was a royal pain! 

Then I spoke with another SA friend of mine and he showed me a password manager, and how easy it is for it to come up with truly generic hardened complex passwords, that they generate, as well as their cross platform support. I also liked the fact that you can change the password length well as the passwords complexity. Do now ALL of my passwords are now truly random and that no two are exactly the same.

I used to generate a root password and then add on to it with made up word combinations in both the front and the back. Sometimes I'd have to do it multiple times because the site wouldn't allow the password or it simply didn't meet the criteria. What a damn pain that was! So I now have my one main hardened password to get into my password manager (which works with my fingerprint on my mobile devices), and my password manager manages the rest. 

Granted, they aren't for everyone, but when you've got to manage multiple passwords (my SA bud told me that he manages 70+ for both his personal accounts as well as company accounts, BTW), it just makes sense to use one (IMHO), along with an authenticator. At least it does for me. 

I have way too many (unique) passwords for way too many users on way too many services to remember them all, so yes, I use a password manager.

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

is Google password sync called password manager?

I use lastpass but it's sorta BS because you get the Password Manager feature for free, but everything else (including YubiKey use (!)) is like 10 bucks a month... Same with Dashlane

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

CPU: i5-8600K @Stock  GPU: RTX 2060 Zotac GAMING Amp  RAM: 4x4GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT  MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A  HDD: 4 TB 5400 RPM Seagate Barracuda, 2TB 7200 RPM Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Slim  SSD: Inland Professional 120 GB  Soundcard: built in  Case: NZXT H500i  Screen: HP 22cwa IPS

Server: Working on it (See https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1039535-server-build/)

Laptop : Microsoft Surface Pro 5:

CPU: i5-7300U  GPU: Intel HD 620  RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 1866 MHz  MOBO: Microsoft Custom  SSD: Internal M.2  Soundcard: built in  Case: lol its a laptop  Screen: see case: lol its a laptop

Phone: Google Pixel:

CPU: Qualcomm 821  GPU: Adreno 530  RAM: 4GB LPDDR4X  Storage: 32GB eMMC  Display: 5" 16:9 1080x1920p Corning Gorilla Glass 4

Dog: Shorty, Absolute Mutt:

Ears: Floppy  Tail: Long  Paws: Muddy  Fur: Brown

Cats: Chili and Cheddar (Don't Ask):

Cute: Yes  Fur: Soft  Tail: In front of you whacking your face

Cereal: 

Dry: NOPE  With Milk: Cinnamon Toast Crunch  Milk: Whole % Vitamin D  Hot: Quaker Instant Maple  Steel Cooked: Wegmans with Sweetened Condensed Milk

Coffee:

Type: Latte  Caffeinated: very much so  Milk: Yes

Game consoles:

PC ALL THE WAY

@LinusTech do you use a password manager (if you don't mind answering)?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones