Jump to content

Replaced CPU, Mobo, and RAM. Issues

I changed my outdated FX 8350 to a Ryzeen 2600x, Gigabyte Aorus M, and Team Dark 8gb 2400mHz.

Luckily, Windows was recognized and all my data is still here.

Three problems occur:

The CPU fan seems to spin faster for no reason and then slow down. This cycle repeats

The computer will freeze for a few seconds, then resume tasks. The freezing seems to line up with the fan. I even crashed once.

Almost half of my ram is used at idle.

 

I did take off the cpu cooler off a few times and then put it back on because I was having trouble screwing it in. Maybe this has something to do with it? I don't have extra thermal paste.

 

Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to get into the BIOS.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, food158 said:

Almost half of my ram is used at idle

its only 8gb so i'd say this is unrelated

15 minutes ago, food158 said:

The CPU fan seems to spin faster for no reason and then slow down

check the cpu temp and see if it's consistently spiking. I've seen it happen with cpus that have a faulty temperature sensor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, emosun said:

its only 8gb so i'd say this is unrelated

check the cpu temp and see if it's consistently spiking. I've seen it happen with cpus that have a faulty temperature sensor

The cooler gets louder when the CPU goes into the 50's range. Temps aren't crazy though. I'll try out stability ingame.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, emosun said:

its only 8gb so i'd say this is unrelated

check the cpu temp and see if it's consistently spiking. I've seen it happen with cpus that have a faulty temperature sensor

Even at lowest volumes, the stock cooler seems to run louder than my hyper 212 evo.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, emosun said:

its only 8gb so i'd say this is unrelated

check the cpu temp and see if it's consistently spiking. I've seen it happen with cpus that have a faulty temperature sensor

Ok, now I'm seeing many spikes into the 60's.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would get you some thermal paste & get that remounted to be on the safe side when you can. Also, with new hardware redoing windows is always a good idea to ensure you don't have weird issues like those you're describing. 

 

Try a full CMOS clear and load optimized defaults then reprogram in your settings in bios, and see if that solves the issue. 

 

You should be able to just spam the Delete key after powering on the computer and BIOS should come up. 

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY

My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz CL14 RAM (14-15-15-35-1T at 1.45V)

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hybrid - Core @ 2160MHz @ 1068mV, VRAM +1000MHz

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, HoneyBadger84 said:

I would get you some thermal paste & get that remounted to be on the safe side when you can. Also, with new hardware redoing windows is always a good idea to ensure you don't have weird issues like those you're describing. 

 

Try a full CMOS clear and load optimized defaults then reprogram in your settings in bios, and see if that solves the issue. 

 

You should be able to just spam the Delete key after powering on the computer and BIOS should come up. 

Do you think that the freezes are due to Windows?

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, food158 said:

Do you think that the freezes are due to Windows?

There's always a chance it could be something in the registry or Windows files. Windows is dumb that way. 

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY

My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz CL14 RAM (14-15-15-35-1T at 1.45V)

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hybrid - Core @ 2160MHz @ 1068mV, VRAM +1000MHz

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/2/2019 at 10:27 PM, HoneyBadger84 said:

There's always a chance it could be something in the registry or Windows files. Windows is dumb that way. 

https://gyazo.com/95e5428bdad30429c8bbb0c29dcb61a5

Does this option affect the HDD? Windows is on a different device. I remember booting off a usb stick not deleting data on another drive.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2019 at 1:55 PM, food158 said:

My temperatures do not seem to get super high all the time, but the cpu fan speed keeps kicking up.

Are you watching temps when your maxing out your cpu load?

 

My buddy had a constant freezing issue and said his CPU is at 55C. I came over, brought a second monitor, we plugged it i and ran hwmonitor on it and then ran fortnite. The cpu jumped to 87 C and then crashed. Apparently the issue was his heatsink wasn't fully seated because the ASUS strix ITX motherboard M.2 heatsink interfered with the fins of his AR06 cpu heatsink (so the cpu cooler was in the air on one corner and not fully on the cpu itself). I am surprised the board did not snap from the stress lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, PrinnyExplodes said:

Are you watching temps when your maxing out your cpu load?

 

My buddy had a constant freezing issue and said his CPU is at 55C. I came over, brought a second monitor, we plugged it i and ran hwmonitor on it and then ran fortnite. The cpu jumped to 87 C and then crashed. Apparently the issue was his heatsink wasn't fully seated because the ASUS strix ITX motherboard M.2 heatsink interfered with the fins of his AR06 cpu heatsink (so the cpu cooler was in the air on one corner and not fully on the cpu itself). I am surprised the board did not snap from the stress lol. 

I could try to run furmark.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, food158 said:

I could try to run furmark.

 

Do it and post results so we can get a good idea :D. Also what video card you running?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, PrinnyExplodes said:

 

Do it and post results so we can get a good idea :D. Also what video card you running?

1060 6gb, might upgrade to 1660ti soon because I have a 1440p monitor.

 

I ran Furmark at QHD Preset for 5 minutes, no anti-aliasing. It hit 60C then slowly went up to 66C.

I also did CPU burner, which made my CPU stay at a constant 72C.

 

I know these are relatively short, but just wanted to put out results.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, food158 said:

1060 6gb, might upgrade to 1660ti soon because I have a 1440p monitor.

 

I ran Furmark at QHD Preset for 5 minutes, no anti-aliasing. It hit 60C then slowly went up to 66C.

I also did CPU burner, which made my CPU stay at a constant 72C.

 

I know these are relatively short, but just wanted to put out results.

Damn. Well at least I know it isn't heat for sure and everything is running properly. My only guess is windows 10 being a bastard then. If your not getting freezing during furmark or CPU burner, then Windows 10 itself is probably your issue (if I am a betting man). Might have to reformat and reinstall >.<

 

Edit: Do memtest64 for 10 mins if you want to check your ram too but chances of ram being an issue is like getting struck by lightning. But I bet you its just windows 10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2019 at 4:57 AM, PrinnyExplodes said:

Damn. Well at least I know it isn't heat for sure and everything is running properly. My only guess is windows 10 being a bastard then. If your not getting freezing during furmark or CPU burner, then Windows 10 itself is probably your issue (if I am a betting man). Might have to reformat and reinstall >.<

 

Edit: Do memtest64 for 10 mins if you want to check your ram too but chances of ram being an issue is like getting struck by lightning. But I bet you its just windows 10

I reinstalled windows, yet it seems to be persisting.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2019 at 8:52 PM, food158 said:

I changed my outdated FX 8350 to a Ryzeen 2600x, Gigabyte Aorus M, and Team Dark 8gb 2400mHz.

Luckily, Windows was recognized and all my data is still here.

Three problems occur:

The CPU fan seems to spin faster for no reason and then slow down. This cycle repeats

The computer will freeze for a few seconds, then resume tasks. The freezing seems to line up with the fan. I even crashed once.

Almost half of my ram is used at idle.

 

I did take off the cpu cooler off a few times and then put it back on because I was having trouble screwing it in. Maybe this has something to do with it? I don't have extra thermal paste.

 

Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to get into the BIOS.

Download hwinfo64 and check your fan speed at idle to see how it is,  and also check running prime 95 for 5-10 minutes

 

I read that idle fan speed was about 1010rpm on idle and prime 95 was about 1500rpm.

Check if fan speeds are pretty consistent on idle

 

To see fan speeds in hwinfo64 click on the sensors tab and expand it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, zFox said:

Download hwinfo64 and check your fan speed at idle to see how it is,  and also check running prime 95 for 5-10 minutes

 

I read that idle fan speed was about 1010rpm on idle and prime 95 was about 1500rpm.

Check if fan speeds are pretty consistent on idle

 

To see fan speeds in hwinfo64 click on the sensors tab and expand it

CPU fan? Mine is very far from 1010rpm on idle. 1600RPM if I'm lucky.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, food158 said:

CPU fan? Mine is very far from 1010rpm on idle.

You are running stock cooler?

Can you tell me the RPM number you get at idle please?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, food158 said:

I already said it. 1600RPM - high 1900

From your testing you did your cpu temps seem quite normal but your fan speed are way to high.  What that seems like to me is that the heatsink is not making proper contact with the cpu and the fan has to work extra hard to regulate the temperatures or there is something up with the thermal paste.

 

I would take the heatsink off,  wipe off all the thermal paste using a high percentage isopropyl alcohol,  and then reapply new thermal paste and put the heatsink back on.

 

I have a wrath spire cooler myself and I had alot of trouble putting in on correctly the first time. What you need to do is center the heatsink to the 4 bolt holes and then screw one corner in just enough so it won't slip out and then get the opposite corner in and from there screw the rest it.  You have to apply quite a bit of pressure to get this done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zFox said:

From your testing you did your cpu temps seem quite normal but your fan speed are way to high.  What that seems like to me is that the heatsink is not making proper contact with the cpu and the fan has to work extra hard to regulate the temperatures or there is something up with the thermal paste.

 

I would take the heatsink off,  wipe off all the thermal paste using a high percentage isopropyl alcohol,  and then reapply new thermal paste and put the heatsink back on.

 

I have a wrath spire cooler myself and I had alot of trouble putting in on correctly the first time. What you need to do is center the heatsink to the 4 bolt holes and then screw one corner in just enough so it won't slip out and then get the opposite corner in and from there screw the rest it.  You have to apply quite a bit of pressure to get this done.

While, it's true the fan speeds are insanely high(I will reapply try to get some thermal paste), would this be a factor in my consistent freezes? The CPU temps are normal as stated.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, food158 said:

While, it's true the fan speeds are insanely high(I will reapply try to get some thermal paste), would this be a factor in my consistent freezes? The CPU temps are normal as stated.

You did not do a new fresh Windows install when switching cpu,  motherboard,  and ram?

Did you at least try to uninstall the old motherboard drivers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, zFox said:

You did not do a new fresh Windows install when switching cpu,  motherboard,  and ram?

Did you at least try to uninstall the old motherboard drivers?

No I did, but it did not do anything to resolve the issue. I also noticed that my C drive kicks up to max load when I freeze.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, food158 said:

No I did, but it did not do anything to resolve the issue. I also noticed that my C drive kicks up to max load when I freeze.

I would try to reset all bios values to default if you already didn't,  there should be a option to do all of them in one option,  like another user said.

 

Did you buy your motherboard brand new or used?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×