Looking for new PSU

thenicktg
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
21 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

The "newness" of the newest RMx platform has zero bearing on performance, quality, longevity, etc.

The actual difference between RMx and RMi should be that the RMi has an FDB fan (as opposed to rifle) an has the Link power monitoring.

All of the RMi units are multi-rail as well, aren't they? (with the ability to toggle between multi-rail and single rail in Corsair Link?). That's also one of the differences between the RMi & RMx series.

13 hours ago, NickWolf said:

Hello guys,so I want bo buy a new PSU and my budget is around 100-150 euros. My specs are R7 1700,Gtx 1060 3gb,1 SSD,1HDD,

Your system is only going to consume about 250W under heavy load. No need to spend 150 euros on a 750W PSU.
Why not spend 80 euros or so on a good quality 450-550W unit like an RM550x, Whisper M or Straight Power... Then you can put the money you save towards getting a better graphics card than the 3GB 1060.

Though, if you're looking at the RM750x White because you are planning a white build and want it for the aesthetics, then the value is pretty good compared to buying a cheaper PSU and then separately buying a custom white cable kit. Since you're comparing it to the non-white RM750i, I'm going to assume that isn't the case, but just thought I would mention it anyway.

Hello guys,so I want bo buy a new PSU and my budget is around 100-150 euros. My specs are R7 1700,Gtx 1060 3gb,1 SSD,1HDD,

I am between those two:

Corsair RMx White RM750X  

Corsair RMI Series RM750i.

What do you think guys?Are those PSUs good?Which one should I buy?

Thank you.

20180320142622_corsair_rmi_series_rm750i.jpeg20170904124941_corsair_rmx_rm750x.jpeg

those are good and are internally not that different, but i would choose the rmx because it's a bit newer, but you don't really need 750 watts, you're better off spending less and investing it into your system (or just snakcs)

country?

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

those are good and are internally not that different, but i would choose the rmx because it's a bit newer, but you don't really need 750 watts, you're better off spending less and investing it into your system (or just snakcs)

country?

Hey and thanks for replying.First of all I live in Greece :P,secondly I want to buy a 750w psu because I'll probably buy a new GPU as well(probably 1070 or 2060 or maybe 580 idk yet)and I wan to have that extra headroom.

6 minutes ago, NickWolf said:

I am between those two:

Corsair RMx White RM750X  

Corsair RMI Series RM750i.

What do you think guys?Are those PSUs good?Which one should I buy?

Thank you.

20180320142622_corsair_rmi_series_rm750i.jpeg20170904124941_corsair_rmx_rm750x.jpeg

well if it doesnt cost that much more i would recommend going with the 750i since you can view power consumption through corsair's program

2 minutes ago, NickWolf said:

Hey and thanks for replying.First of all I live in Greece :P,secondly I want to buy a 750w psu because I'll probably buy a new GPU as well(probably 1070 or 2060 or maybe 580 idk yet)and I wan to have that extra headroom.

then you really don't need that much. i run my 1070 ti overclocked on 550 watts. on 750 i can run a 9900k with a 2080 ti and still have headroom

something like a pure pwer 11. supernova g2, rmx, focus, formula, whisper and many more

look into the psu tier list down my signature, and select at least a tier c, then you'll be fine

I'd check out the season focus series as well. 650w should be optimal for reaching peak efficiency i think maths is hard.

Steve

27 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

I'd check out the season focus series as well. 650w should be optimal for reaching peak efficiency i think maths is hard.

650? with like 250 watts use

math is easy in that case...

46 minutes ago, NickWolf said:

I want to buy a 750w psu because I'll probably buy a new GPU as well(probably 1070 or 2060 or maybe 580 idk yet

well all of these options have very similar power consumption so getting a 750W is still overkill, and also a 580 is not an upgrade.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Hey thank you guys for your help.I checked the Tier list and I saw that both RMI/RMX are Tier A so I should be ok with either of those.Thanks again :)

44 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

well if it doesnt cost that much more i would recommend going with the 750i since you can view power consumption through corsair's program

Yep. But like @LukeSavenije said, no need for that wattage in the first place. My overclocked X58 Xeon (when I'm pumping 1.4-1.45v through it, consumption is much lower now that I have it at 4.2Ghz/1.306v) and Gaming X 1080 Ti will pull 550W when under the highest synthetic load I could give it, in gaming usage was around 450-500W. Measured using my RM1000i, which is overkill but I have and plan to get more power hungry hardware. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

10 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

650? with like 250 watts use

math is easy in that case...

Well no because a power supply reaches peak efficiency at a certain percentage of load 

Steve

I'd get a SEASONIC PRIME ULTRA; pretty much a cheap AX or HX and it goes down to 550W, plus it costs less.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

5 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

Well no because a power supply reaches peak efficiency at a certain percentage of load 

yes, but you shouldn't aim for it

and the peak would be with like a 300-350 watt psu, which isn't a good idea...

14 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yes, but you shouldn't aim for it

and the peak would be with like a 300-350 watt psu, which isn't a good idea...

No the peak is around 50-60% load. Having around 200w headroom is i'd the optimal amount.

Related image

Steve

29 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yep. But like @LukeSavenije said, no need for that wattage in the first place. My overclocked X58 Xeon (when I'm pumping 1.4-1.45v through it, consumption is much lower now that I have it at 4.2Ghz/1.306v) and Gaming X 1080 Ti will pull 550W when under the highest synthetic load I could give it, in gaming usage was around 450-500W. Measured using my RM1000i, which is overkill but I have and plan to get more power hungry hardware. 

yeah thats true i was just talking about the i part

8 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

No the peak is around 50-60% load. Having around 200w headroom is i'd the optimal amount.

on a g3...

but that aside, you just said i'm right with recommending a 550 watt, thanks

8 hours ago, Laputacake said:

Related image

The graph literally shows about peak efficiency at 30 to 40%.

And it’s useless talking about peak efficiency. Because loads in a computer change.

At idle, your system may be consuming 60w. Running a program might be 150w. Heavy gaming could be 300w. And generally the higher the PSU wattage, the lower the efficiency at idle loads. Not to mention the initial price difference between the wattages.

When you factor all this in, the impact of wattage on your bill is negligible, and won’t pay back.

Adding some overhead is fine. OP’s System would consume <300w while gaming. Add 200w, you end with a 500w psu, which is already more than enough.

12 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

those are good and are internally not that different, but i would choose the rmx because it's a bit newer...

The "newness" of the newest RMx platform has zero bearing on performance, quality, longevity, etc.

The actual difference between RMx and RMi should be that the RMi has an FDB fan (as opposed to rifle) an has the Link power monitoring.

21 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

All of the RMi units are multi-rail as well, aren't they? (with the ability to toggle between multi-rail and single rail in Corsair Link?). That's also one of the differences between the RMi & RMx series.

13 hours ago, NickWolf said:

Your system is only going to consume about 250W under heavy load. No need to spend 150 euros on a 750W PSU.
Why not spend 80 euros or so on a good quality 450-550W unit like an RM550x, Whisper M or Straight Power... Then you can put the money you save towards getting a better graphics card than the 3GB 1060.

Though, if you're looking at the RM750x White because you are planning a white build and want it for the aesthetics, then the value is pretty good compared to buying a cheaper PSU and then separately buying a custom white cable kit. Since you're comparing it to the non-white RM750i, I'm going to assume that isn't the case, but just thought I would mention it anyway.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

Correct.