Help: PC fails to boot with display on GPU.

Go to solution Solved by AGoodSword,

thats so weird that shouldn't be happening... it could be a BIOS option i know on my board it'sa  older intel one they have option auto and i set that to The PCI-E lane or Nvidia it says one of that 

Hi guys,

My computer recently kept booting on to the on board built intel graphics instead of my 1080ti, until i press the reset button for once or twice, what could be the issue ? Should i switch my graphic card's PCIE Lane?

Build:

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390F

CPU: I7-9700K

SSD:SAMSUNG EVO860 M.2 256GB

RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 16GB 3000MHz Dual Channel

GPU: ZOTAC AMP EXTREME 1080Ti

Hard Drive: WD BLACK 2TB
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower RGB 850W(80+ Gold)

just saying i have never seen a pc that you can use your Intel hd with through your GPU Output makes 0 sense

Just now, Espire said:

Hi guys,

My computer recently kept booting on to the on board built intel graphics instead of my 1080ti, until i press the reset button for once or twice, what could be the issue ? Should i switch my graphic card's PCIE Lane?

Build:

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390F

CPU: I7-9700K

SSD:SAMSUNG EVO860 M.2 256GB

RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 16GB 3000MHz Dual Channel

GPU: ZOTAC AMP EXTREME 1080Ti

Hard Drive: WD BLACK 2TB

unless it's a laptop 

What do you mean booting on the onboard graphics? Have you connected your monitor to the back of the 1080ti?

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO

Just now, AGoodSword said:

just saying i have never seen a pc that you can use your Intel hd with through your GPU Output makes 0 sense

That my initial thoughts too but when it goes to windows and i check on the device management, it does not detect my GPU

Just now, Lemtea said:

What do you mean booting on the onboard graphics? Have you connected your monitor to the back of the 1080ti?

Yea onboard graphic I've connected my monitor to my gpu but it shows pitch black and nothing came on

thats so weird that shouldn't be happening... it could be a BIOS option i know on my board it'sa  older intel one they have option auto and i set that to The PCI-E lane or Nvidia it says one of that 

Just now, Espire said:

Yea onboard graphic I've connected my monitor to my gpu but it shows pitch black and nothing came on

Have you connected the pcie power cables to the gpu? Is the gpu in the top x16 pcie slot (closest large slot to cpu)?

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO

1 minute ago, AGoodSword said:

I shall try that anyways i just hate it when i need to plug another hdmi cable to check on my other monitor..

1 minute ago, Lemtea said:

Have you connected the pcie power cables to the gpu? Is the gpu in the top x16 pcie slot (closest large slot to cpu)?

Yes i have 

When the system turns on the rgb and fan on the gpu are working but jus no display

1 minute ago, Espire said:

Yes i have 

What psu do you have? Do you have another gpu and power supply that you could test?

PSU Tier List

4 minutes ago, Lemtea said:

What psu do you have? Do you have another gpu and power supply that you could test?

Im using a thermal take 850W modular(gold), unfortunately i dun have any spares available

Just now, Espire said:

Im using a thermal take 850W modular(gold), unfortunately i dun have any spares available

that should be more then enough

Whats more is that it doesn't work if i just restart the PC i have to Reset via the Reset button for it to post to the GPU...

15 minutes ago, Lemtea said:

is there anything else i can do before i could determine that this GPU is dead for sure?

59 minutes ago, Espire said:

is there anything else i can do before i could determine that this GPU is dead for sure?

Put the GPU in another system.

PSU Tier List

Ok, this is weird i went and swap out my Power Cable to another one reformated the PC and disable the Onboard GPU and its now working fine... Thanks though everyone for helping.