Overclocking

VitalBlindFury

I just got my XFX Double Dissipation HD 7970 card and I want to get a little more performance out of it. What programs do I use to overclock and how do I actually overclock it? Do I just use a program or do I have to do some practical stuff.

Thanks,

AMD has their own control panel and there's also MSI Afterburner which is probably the easiest off all the programs I've used. You can also manually tweak your settings in the BIOS.

Intel 2600k @ 4.5 GHz | CoolerMaster 212 Evo | ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe | XFX 7950 Black Ed. Corsair Vengeance RAM (4x4GB)NZXT Phantom 820 | Rosewill 1000w Bronze

ASUS VN248H-P IPS | LG E2742 | Logitech Z623 | Logitech G600 |Steelseries QcK Heavy | Corsair K90 MX Red | Ducky Shine Year of the Goat MX RedErgotech Freedom Arm

you have to use the drivers, as far as over clocking it up the memory bit by bit seeing how much you can get away with. if it gets to a point that it crashes up the voltage and make sure that you have your fans running at a good speed eg 75%-100% because over clocking will sadly make a bit of noise and will get a bit hot. best of luck 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Is there a tutorial I can go through to help me overclock?

my last post will help 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

To be honest it's really just a couple of sliders left and right. You wanna drag it toward the higher number for more of a performance boost.

Intel 2600k @ 4.5 GHz | CoolerMaster 212 Evo | ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe | XFX 7950 Black Ed. Corsair Vengeance RAM (4x4GB)NZXT Phantom 820 | Rosewill 1000w Bronze

ASUS VN248H-P IPS | LG E2742 | Logitech Z623 | Logitech G600 |Steelseries QcK Heavy | Corsair K90 MX Red | Ducky Shine Year of the Goat MX RedErgotech Freedom Arm

Right click desktop -> Catalyst Control Center -> Performance -> AMD Overdrive -> Enable Graphics Overdrive -> Start tweaking the settings.

Make sure you download all the latest drivers as mentioned above to get the most performance out of all your games.

I would recommend using MSi Afterburner, but you can use CCC

My guide as always is:

• Increase core clock by 10-20MHz
  • Test for stability by using either Unigin Heaven or a graphics heavy game (Metro: Last Light, Battlefield 4, Crysis 3 ect)
  • If stable, repeat
  • If unstable, increase core voltage with 5Mv (Might not be an option for your graphics card)
  • Repeat untill you hit a temeprature of 90C on the GPU
  • If you want to you can overclock the memory, but it doesnøt really make any difference
  • Increase the memory clock with 25-50MHz
  • Test for stability (See step 2),
  • Repeat untill you hit instability, and then scale back to the last stable setting 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

If you want to do fine tweaking I would say MSI Afterburner, but the AMD Catalyst Control Center overclocking would do fine, up to you of course thought. I would personally use MSI Afterburner for the voltage tweak as well.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1