YouTube Kids App Shows Suicide Video

Suicide video appears on YouTube Kids app

Source: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/2019/02/suicide-video-appears-on-youtube-kids-app.html?fbclid=IwAR1ZOSNqxrLGlrVvjuZb2URoZXHP0gPn19nXk996GHs4DYB4Pz36MXRwIAM

Videos showing kids how to kill themselves have been found on Google's YouTube Kids app.

CBS News reports at least two have been featured on the supposedly child-friendly app since July, discovered by a paediatrician in the US.

A man in one of the videos is a YouTuber known as Filthy Frank who has more than six million subscribers and calls himself "the embodiment of everything a person should not be".

In the clip he's seen making cutting motions on his arm, telling viewers to "end it" and explaining the best way to ensure a suicide attempt works, CBS News reports. The clip was edited to appear in the middle of a kids' cartoon.

"Looking at the comments, it had been up for a while, and people had even reported it eight months prior," Florida paediatrician Free Hess said

Whilst I know Filthy Frank to be satirical, it is quite inappropriate to have his content on the Kids side of YouTube. 8 months is a total joke for any report. 

After she blogged about it, YouTube removed the clip. It's not clear if Filthy Frank knew his clip had been used in the offending video. It was originally a part of a video about a One Direction fan committing suicide.

Another version of the same clip was spotted last year, but reportedly wasn't removed until a parent directly contacted a Google employee.

The controversy comes a year after Google had to scrub the YouTube Kids app clean of disturbing 'Elsagate' videos, which often featured people dressed as popular cartoon characters taking part in violent and sexual activities.

"Once you start looking into it, things get darker and weirder," said Dr Hess. "I don't understand how it's not getting caught."

I know some people might dismiss it, but its pretty unacceptable to have this on YouTube for Kids. It's like letting your kids watch the morning cartoons on a Saturday and this video pops up, not exactly full of the stuff you want your kids to see. 

Spoiler

It is quite inappropriate for YouTube to detect videos suitable for kids using their algorithm and not curate the Kids all altogether. You'd have to have your head in a sandpit to think this is alright - especially dismissing the reports for 8 months. 

[EDIT]

This may be a sensitive topic for some people, so I encourage you if you feel distressed about this topic to reach out to your peers or access the suicide hotlines. It is quite a heavy topic in NZ and the NZ hotlines are in the article. 

A man in one of the videos is a YouTuber known as Filthy Frank.

LMAO! I wasn't expecting this shit at all lol! from the title it seemed too far of an  idea of suicide from this!

Pappa frankru what have you doneuru!

Details separate people.

*Filthy Frank video gets approved for YouTube Kids*

YouTube, your algorithm is an f-ing disgrace!  Your coders should be embarrassed!

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

5 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Pappa frankru what have you doneuru!

He made the video, but he's not the one who put it on YouTube Kids.  An automated system did that...

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666

• i7-7700K
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Lately it seems Google itself is trying to commit suicide. Nothing but awful things have hit Google recently, I wonder how they'll cope. It's way too big to fall, but it's big enough to make a change. Let's hope that at least happens. Kids, nor adults for that matter, should ever be exposed to shit like that. I'm surprised a content bot of some sort didn't catch the original video, let alone what one would think is an even more rigorously moderated portion of the site (being for kids). Nothing makes sense anymore.

If you knew what else makes the cut for YT Kids ahead of times, this isn't news to you.

You poor bastards.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If you knew what else makes the cut for YT Kids ahead of times, this isn't news to you.

You poor bastards.

who does then?

All i can see when searching up is the youtube channel cut

✨FNIGE✨

13 minutes ago, Arika S said:

youtube has really dropped the ball despite not having held it for about 5 years

It's like they walked over to pick the ball up but as they bent down they kicked it with their foot by mistake rolling the ball yet further away again.

There was this great TED Talk on children's content on YouTube and how kids really shouldn't use YouTube at all. Check it out if you're interested.

YouTube really dropped the ball on this one. It seems the larger their platform gets the less control and stability it has and that's been very apparent the last few weeks.

19 minutes ago, Arika S said:

youtube has really dropped the ball despite not having held it for about 5 years

They dropped it 5 years ago, and then in 2018-19, they stepped on it, tripping over it, and falling flat on their faces.

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666

• i7-7700K
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

It's been broken for a few weeks tbh.  First the false flagging of other channels and shit like this.  Google really needs to look into this crap.

Maybe google is blind and cant look into this crap... Maybe that's why so much has been messing up, They're doing this blind

✨FNIGE✨

inb4 media blames filthly frank like it was his intention for it to be a kids video and google didn't catch him sneaking it to kids

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

inb4 media blames filthly frank like it was his intention for it to be a kids video and google didn't catch him sneaking it to kids

I'm surprised they haven't already, honestly.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

TBH, they probably do what a lot of developers do.  They make it "work" then say "good enough!"

✨FNIGE✨

REMEMBER KIDS, SIDEWAYS FOR ATTENTION, LONG WAYS FOR RESULTS!

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

23 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

REMEMBER KIDS, SIDEWAYS FOR ATTENTION, LONG WAYS FOR RESULTS!

I always thought the exit bag the best choice if you don't want to leave a mess. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

"Hey guys! We made a new YouTube for Adults app! Now you can watch all of those slooty shows you enjoy!"

Title of Blog that Sounds Really Deep but Actually Doesn't ...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Honestly stuff like this, the recent video of kids thing and the whole set of issues with false copyright strikes really make the point obvious. Youtube is so big and has so much stuff on it that there's literally no way to properly police it. They get currently somthing like 300 hours of video every minute. Accounting for a bit of growth that means it would take 20,000 people working round the clock to personally check every single bit of video uploaded. Thats, (using my countries minimum wage and converting to USD), the equivalent of just under 2 billion USD a year in wages alone, never mind the workplace costs for the infrastructure.

It can't be done. That isn't really google's fault. the issue is both the law an ordinary people are expecting Google to do a job that they aren't really capable of doing.