Jump to content

Direct connecting desktop and laptop on the same network

WarmasterCain55

what is the proper way to connecting two computers to each other for file transferring? They are both on the same network and crossover cables are a thing of the past but i can't figure how to make the systems see each other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, WarmasterCain55 said:

what is the proper way to connecting two computers to each other for file transferring? They are both on the same network and crossover cables are a thing of the past but i can't figure how to make the systems see each other. 

Are they connected to the network via Ethernet?

Ryzen 7 1700X - Cryorig C7 - Gigabyte Gaming B450 Wifi - 16GB GSKILL Aegis DDR4-3000mghz - WD Black NVMe 250GB M.2 / WD Black 2.5 1TB HD - Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB - FD Node 202

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window."

— Steve Wozniak

PCPartPicker - Steam - GitHub

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, WarmasterCain55 said:

Yes.

Have you turned on network sharing in the file explorer?

Ryzen 7 1700X - Cryorig C7 - Gigabyte Gaming B450 Wifi - 16GB GSKILL Aegis DDR4-3000mghz - WD Black NVMe 250GB M.2 / WD Black 2.5 1TB HD - Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB - FD Node 202

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window."

— Steve Wozniak

PCPartPicker - Steam - GitHub

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LlamaFamah said:

Have you turned on network sharing in the file explorer?

Sorry for the late reply.  Network discovery is on on both devices.

 

Edit, ok i am a bit of an idiot.  My laptop can see my desktop but my desktop can't see the laptop?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, WarmasterCain55 said:

Sorry for the late reply.  Network discovery is on on both devices.

 

Edit, ok i am a bit of an idiot.  My laptop can see my desktop but my desktop can't see the laptop?

No idea why that is, but can you pull off whatever from the laptop to the desktop, or does that not fix the problem?

Ryzen 7 1700X - Cryorig C7 - Gigabyte Gaming B450 Wifi - 16GB GSKILL Aegis DDR4-3000mghz - WD Black NVMe 250GB M.2 / WD Black 2.5 1TB HD - Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB - FD Node 202

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window."

— Steve Wozniak

PCPartPicker - Steam - GitHub

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×