i'm going crazy with this packet loss

Gal W

So i had this packet loss issue for a while now

and i tried EVERYTHING except one thing

so i have packet loss everywhere everytime i do a ping test

but if i restart my router it will suddenly work perfectly for the first like 30-60 minutes(idk exactly how long i didn't time it)

and then goes back to having packet loss

i tried everything switching isp checking the cable even doing the test on other computers, still same results

its driving me crazy and i feel it ingames when i play like really really frustrating

my last resort is to switch the router but when i ping the default gateway it has no packet loss, idk if that means the router is fine or not but i look over all the options i could find on the router and played with them to see if it changed anything and it seems like nothing helps

but i feel like its the router

i don't know what part of this name is the name of the router but it says on the back : "D-link dual band AC DSL-G256DG"
and i'm not sure when did this problem start

If anyone can help me with this or knows how something about it please i will be so thankful

3 minutes ago, Gal W said:

So i had this packet loss issue for a while now

and i tried EVERYTHING except one thing

so i have packet loss everywhere everytime i do a ping test

but if i restart my router it will suddenly work perfectly for the first like 30-60 minutes(idk exactly how long i didn't time it)

and then goes back to having packet loss

i tried everything switching isp checking the cable even doing the test on other computers, still same results

its driving me crazy and i feel it ingames when i play like really really frustrating

my last resort is to switch the router but when i ping the default gateway it has no packet loss, idk if that means the router is fine or not but i look over all the options i could find on the router and played with them to see if it changed anything and it seems like nothing helps

but i feel like its the router

i don't know what part of this name is the name of the router but it says on the back : "D-link dual band AC DSL-G256DG"
and i'm not sure when did this problem start

If anyone can help me with this or knows how something about it please i will be so thankful

Do you have people in your home that use the same network and could be using Netflix or any other service that can disrupt network speeds?

@Gal W

I had this problem using the 5Ghz option on my old router, I was forced to switch to the 2.4ghz to get stable wifi.

I never pinpointed the exact issue but I'm almost certain that other devices like phones, tablets, etc were causing signal interference on an already lower frequency signal.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

5 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

@Gal W

I had this problem using the 5Ghz option on my old router, I was forced to switch to the 2.4ghz to get stable wifi.

I never pinpointed the exact issue but I'm almost certain that other devices like phones, tablets, etc were causing signal interference.

i'm using an Ethernet cable, do you mean that the 5ghz cause issues to the whole router or the wifi?

because i have this issue with cable and with wifi too
and i'll mention that the cable is not faulty because i tried it on another computer with a different cable too same result

8 minutes ago, VinZie said:

Do you have people in your home that use the same network and could be using Netflix or any other service that can disrupt network speeds?

i tested it probably more then 20 times half them were when all of the other devices were shut off, router is a with a password and i've checked multiple times the list of devices nothing unusual

1 minute ago, Gal W said:

i'm using an Ethernet cable, do you mean that the 5ghz cause issues to the whole router or the wifi?

i tested it probably more then 20 times half them were when all of the other devices were shut off, router is a with a password and i've checked multiple times the list of devices nothing unusual

? On a wired connection!?

The only thing I can think of that you haven't listed is updating the router firmware.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

3 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

? On a wired connection!?

The only thing I can think of that you haven't listed is updating the router firmware.

mmm, yeah i tried but i didn't find how, there was no option on the router gateway, maybe i missed something?

maybe i'm stupid and this is not how you update a router xd

630510665_r1.PNG.b46c93811fded5908be485d101373b09.PNG
how do i do that?
i don't think the tech support at my isp will even know that routers can be updated

top right it says the firmware version, someone knows if its good or not?

nvm i checked online this router has no updates to get :/

38 minutes ago, VinZie said:

How much does your ISP push for traffic? 

i'm not sure what do you mean, my download and upload speeds? 100mbps download speed and around 2-3 mbps upload speed(had this for both the isps i used) which is pretty alright not supposed to effect a computer pinging an ip when everything else is not taking up network

also i don't have high ms in ping return its just packet loss

i'm 99% sure its not the isp since i had exactly the same issue on a different isp, and we changed isp to try to fix it but it still has the same issue

• 2 weeks later...

... i still have this issue, anyone?

Could you do a direct connect to the modem for a few hours to see if it is the router?