Critical Linux Kernel network vulnerability found affecting all systems since Linux 2.6

Go to solution Solved by suicidalfranco,
9 hours ago, Lukyp said:

So basically worse than windows automatic updates xD?

No. I could raise my hand over the mouse, drag it to the top left corner, click the dash icon, search for software update, click on it, and let it do it's thing

But i prefer simply typing ctrl+alt+t, sys, tab, enter

Summary:

Apparently an Huawei developer has found with KASAN, a dynamic memory error detector builtin in the linux kernel itself, and fixed, a very severe network vulnerability which is present in all linux systems that's been around since Linux 2.6 which was found only today.
the CVSS v3.0 Severity and Metrics gives it a score of 9.8 CRITICAL

It consists in a use-after-free vulnerability, was found in the networking subsystem's sockfs code and looks like it could lead to arbitrary code execution as a result.

In the Linux kernel through 4.20.10, af_alg_release() in crypto/af_alg.c neglects to set a NULL value for a certain structure member, which leads to a use-after-free in sockfs_setattr.

A fix is already released and will come to all Linux distributions in a couple of days, and will probably be backported to any supported linux kernel versions.

I don't know if this affects androids too... I hope not. Because that would not be that fun, but, if I scared you too much, I think this is bug can be exploitable only from the physical machine itself

Source code:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/crypto/af_alg.c  this is the code
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/9060cb719e61b685ec0102574e10337fa5f445ea this is the fix

(It's funny because it requires like... 4 lines of code?)

Article Source:
https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-8912

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=KASAN-CVE-2019-8912

Edited by Guest

wow. Time to update some stuff at work, lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

OH BOI

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

wow. Time to update some stuff at work, lol

4 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

OH BOI

I think this is exploitable only from the physical machine itself... I didn't want this to become some clickbaiting cr*p xD

You can go to sleep peacefully today

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

I think this is exploitable only from the physical machine itself... I didn't want this to become some clickbaiting cr*p xD

You can go to sleep peacefully today

Yes, physical machine exploits should not be particularly concerning for the average person, but those are still serious liabilities and problems to make sure are fixed in corporate and government systems.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

@Lukyp It help put it in perspective for normal non-linux users and those too lazy. It'd be a good idea to note that Linux Kernel 2.6 came out in Dec 2003. So all linux releases since Dec 2003 are affected.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

time to run the good ol "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade" or just type "system-update" as i have set it up in my bashrc file

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just gona do the casual press the newest kernel and restart once I get home and be done with this one

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

This is why you always set a pointer to NULL after releasing it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

10 hours ago, Lukyp said:

(It's funny because it requires like... 4 lines of code?)

Do not forget that on mac os it required BLANK password to enter the machine as root user LOL

This kind of bugs that need physical interaction with the machine is less harmfull, because if an attacker/hacker already has your machine there well your screwed. Not that mac os bug. That's exceptional LOL :D Some programmer was VERY lazy checking password.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Right now they find a ton of "old" security attacks...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

28 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Right now they find a ton of "old" security attacks...

I'm more worried about what we do not know until now, and how much of those kind of vulnerabilities are used from security agencies

Just now, Lukyp said:

I'm more worried about what we do not know until now, and how much of those kind of vulnerabilities are used from security agencies

Yeah, that is a possibility as well, sadly.

But we will see more of this stuff because the infrastructure (=OS and so) is based on really old code. And we need to burn it all down and start fresh with what we know today and make a better product.

Problem is that might be incompatible with old Software and thus a hard sell, sadly.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

13 hours ago, Lukyp said:

I scared you too much, I think this is bug can be exploitable only from the physical machine itself

According to the NIST vulnerability report, it only requires network access - by clicking the 9.8 Critical part, it takes you to an explanation of the vulnerability categories, https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln-metrics/cvss/v3-calculator?name=CVE-2019-8912&amp;vector=AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H.

Kernel 4.20.10 is the latest version available for me on Fedora, though 4.20.11 (containing this fix) is in testing at the moment.

The vulnerability was found using an address sanitiser, so I'm not sure it anyone has actually managed to make it exploitable, or whether it's just a potential issue. In the Fedora tracker, it's marked as severity medium, so there are worse bugs around.

HTTP/2 203

6 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

time to run the good ol "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade" or just type "system-update" as i have set it up in my bashrc file

5 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

According to the NIST vulnerability report, it only requires network access - by clicking the 9.8 Critical part, it takes you to an explanation of the vulnerability categories, https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln-metrics/cvss/v3-calculator?name=CVE-2019-8912&amp;vector=AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H.

Kernel 4.20.10 is the latest version available for me on Fedora, though 4.20.11 (containing this fix) is in testing at the moment.

The vulnerability was found using an address sanitiser, so I'm not sure it anyone has actually managed to make it exploitable, or whether it's just a potential issue. In the Fedora tracker, it's marked as severity medium, so there are worse bugs around.

I do not know how CVSSv3 gives it a score of 9.8/10-critical though, the v2 7.5-high

And since it's an upstream bug Fedora may give it medium importance since it was not reported before, but it's rather a system update request, but idk honestly, what do they say in it?

Btw I'm just glad they fixed it immediately

20 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Nope(go over to the linux section if you want to know more why), there is a gui for it but some members like to throw around the CLI method instead :D .

Edited by jagdtigger

Thats why we need open source found and fixed and kernel being released, since 1 small code change there is no need for heavy testing this should be rolled out to all LTS and latest kernel.

Thats why i like distro's like arch and manjaro, you can easily install new kernel without breaking anything, unlike ubuntu and others that start having issues if you use the latest kernel and you dont benefit from ubuntu patches from the standard kernel.

9 hours ago, Lukyp said:

No. I could raise my hand over the mouse, drag it to the top left corner, click the dash icon, search for software update, click on it, and let it do it's thing

But i prefer simply typing ctrl+alt+t, sys, tab, enter

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>