Power Outlets PISSES LINUS OFF. [Discussion]

SesMoge

We should take all the plug standards today, throw them all in a big crock pot, an cook up a plug that has all the benefits.

While we are at it, we might as well make it so easy to plug in, even a blind person could do it.

It shouldn’t be too hard if EVERYONE  agrees to replace all standards with something better. I mean, we did it with USB, and are currently doing it with USB-C. Can’t be that hard with power outlets, right?

43A49351-D8F0-4F91-BC6C-9BABC295D7BA.jpeg

Edited by SesMoge

It's not difficult at all though. 

Yes, because it making adapters for "pre-unifying" shit and overhauling all the outlets everywhere isn't a pain in the ass at all.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

5 minutes ago, SesMoge said:

PS: the picture; a student who designed a new wall thing for the europe standard:

https://www.dn.no/grundervirksomhet/design/kan-tjene-20-millioner-pa-skoleoppgaven-sin/1-1-5219583

That's pretty cool. Is the ground around the outside?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Yes, because it's making adapters for "pre-unifying" shit and overhauling all the outlets everywhere isn't a pain in the ass at all.

^^^. Is replacing every single outlet on the entire planet a better option than carrying some adapters? Cause if you don't replace 100% of them you'll need an adapter sometime. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

15 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

That's pretty cool. Is the ground around the outside?

Not sure how or if they solved ground. I guess a ground ring, or contact point, or something would do the trick. 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^. Is replacing every single outlet on the entire planet a better option than carrying some adapters? Cause if you don't replace 100% of them you'll need an adapter sometime. 

Yes, because the things in your wall you're probably gonna replace once every 5-10 years, maybe less often.

Think of how much waste you have making all those adapters.

I think the easiest path would be to simply make legislation to require any new home or any update of electrical stuff in a home to install 220..240v outlets at least in places that would benefit from them (kitchen, for electric plates, heaters etc and near bathroom for washing machines, dryers etc, and garages for charging cars, unless there's an option to use tri-phase 380v or some alternative)

This way you could install the EU style plugs in US (as they're the most common and well known) and continue to use the old plugs for 110-130v only.

Gradually, houses would end up having 230v-ish plugs everywhere.

The EU plugs aren't the best (for example they're not keyed, which in rare cases can cause problems if a device has fuse only on the live wire

The UK plugs are much better, keyed, child proof, big earth prong, designed to have live and neutral wires break off before earth wire breaks if you pull hard on the cable to rip it out, have built in fuse, killer pain if you step on them ... but I don't expect to see both US and Europe switch to them.

8 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I can only imagine the process would take a very, very, very long time. Like, the new plug would be standard in new houses, and leave the old houses alone.

At least there would hopefully be one and only standard for when we populate other planets. 

11 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

In comes the GO GREEN'ers to lynch you, should they ever decide to do this.  I mean even I can agree this would be a 100% waste of time and literal energy.

The amount of ENERGY spent to dig the precious metals, the materials for plastics etc... just because?

Its nothing like USB, or USB C - there is zero benefit beyond...cords.

Sorry Bob quoted you but agreeing with you 100% lol

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 minute ago, SesMoge said:

I can only imagine the process would take a very, very, very long time. Like, the new plug would be standard in new houses, and leave the old houses alone.

At least there would hopefully be one and only standard for when we populate other planets. 

There's a minuscule benefit to having everyone switch to a single unifying plug. Only a handful of people travel around enough for this to be a problem and even then, most times an adapter gets these people by since many electronics are now universal with regards to AC input.

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

There is benefit ... higher voltage means less current.  You can have products which use more than 1600w (you're limited to 110v 15a or something like that, so you could have 230v 16A or around 2400w), like let's say induction cookers, electric plates, electric ovens, various kitchen devices.

Also switching power supplies are more efficient when running at higher voltages, like let's say 90% efficiency on 110v vs 92% efficiency on 230v

Other things that come to mind... it may make sense to come up with a standard to have 24v or 48v DC in the house. With more and more LED based lightning, pretty much every led bulb comes with either a cheap but poor efficiency capacitive dropper power supply or a switching power supply / led driver ...

We could have 24v or 48v DC for lightning, and that would make conversion more efficient and less problematic (less flickering etc)

There would be a problem with losses in cables but when we have 10-20w led bulbs vs 100w incadescent bulbs ...

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yes, because the things in your wall you're probably gonna replace once every 5-10 years, maybe less often.

And the waste of all old electronics and outlets is somehow better than adapters that really only a handful of people on this planet will use?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

6 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

In comes the GO GREEN'ers to lynch you, should they ever decide to do this.  I mean even I can agree this would be a 100% waste of time and literal energy.

The amount of ENERGY spent to dig the precious metals, the materials for plastics etc... just because?

Energy and resources, precius metals, isn’t this just a question of producing less of one and more of the other? Like, the amount of resources dug out is constant, regardless what is made? Them new houses will be built anyways.

Although it is true for those who travel little. And then when travelling, you already probably have an adapter.

Yeah, I don’t think worldwide standard power plug is an urgent problem these days. 

While it's true you could make 240V flow through a plug/outlet that is 110V you certainly wouldn't be able to draw the same amount of current because its wires are probably thinner.

Also what SesMoge said, switching from one standard to another would take years, for example my house has outlets with round holes but new houses have outlets with flat holes (chinese model) and both are still in use except stuff that comes from China already have a plug with flat pins installed and are not compatible with the other type which sucks. 

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

8 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

And the waste of all old electronics and outlets is somehow better than adapters that really only a handful of people on this planet will use?

Few devices are truly 110v only - most manufacturers use same power supplies for multiple territories, just the cable changes.

So if your device has a removable power cable, then it's worth looking on the label on the back and if it says something like 80v .. 250v ac, then that device would work by simply changing the power cable.

If you have some vintage device that really only has 110v, then you could simply buy a 230v to 110v AC power converter, which can be something as simple as a plain old linear isolation transformer that converts 230v AC into 2 x 115v AC...

The outlets .. really, you only change them once every several years, 5-10 maybe even more years. The 110v ones in US are crappy design, they lack modern features, child safety, sometimes earthing, the benefits of changing those outlets would outweigh the costs.

And let's keep it real ... an outlet is like 100-200g (3.5-7 ounces) of plastic and metal - you have maybe 10-20 outlets in a regular apartment / house etc ... there's loads of other products that use loads more plastic and metal, like cars for example. 

31 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Not unless you're pushing well past what they're rated for.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

And let's keep it real ... an outlet is like 100-200g (3.5-7 ounces) of plastic and metal - you have maybe 10-20 outlets in a regular apartment / house etc ... there's loads of other products that use loads more plastic and metal, like cars for example. 

Hey ?️ig ?️rain gang, this is a weak argument considering its more material than an adapter, considerably more in fact because the unification BS would require replacing every outlet that there is.

And then this argon-brain material...

really, you only change them once every several years, 5-10 maybe even more years.

The hell are you doing? Plugging in a car and letting it hang off the outlet?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Been using those cool guys (Type L) since I was born and I got surprised to see how other countries outlets are strange when I first travelled abroad

image.png.04dd62f03de93c6e90d08a9e61c75cd1.png

Even if the european CEI standard (not schuko) is similar to this and it's compatible, but without ground

wtf is this?
image.png.e37013ec742b91abd595bab64bbe48e6.png

42 minutes ago, mariushm said:

In my grandma house the outlets are 40 years old and they still work properly, the standard is still the same here and the grip has not loosen up during time

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, flibberdipper said:

Hey ?️ig ?️rain gang, this is a weak argument considering its more material than an adapter, considerably more in fact because the unification BS would require replacing every outlet that thre is.

And then this argon-brain material...

The hell are you doing? Plugging in a car and letting it hang off the outlet?

The outlet may have more plastic and metal than an adapter, but a person would buy an adapter for every device here's gonna have, because most people can't be bothered to unplug one device, remove the adapter, put the adapter on the other device he/she wants to use and so on..

Anyway, you could make legislation and stuff that would not force everyone to switch right away, but only require to ADD outlets besides existing ones, or upgrade outlets only for some purposes (as I explained) or for some usage scenarios (if user wants solar panels for example, tesla power wall and the likes, if user wants a car charge in garage etc)

This way people would slowly upgrade over the course of years.

As for your question.. outlets don't have to be replaced often, I agree. I was simply accounting for scenarios like people wanting to paint the walls in a room to another color and want to match the color of the outlets to the new color, so they'll probably replace the outlets as well.

Also, if I buy a house, I wouldn't trust the outlets, I would call an electrician and have him replace the outlets with new ones, and test the grounding at the same time. So assuming houses are bought and sold every decade or so ... you could have outlets replaced that often in SOME houses.

1 minute ago, Lukyp said:

Been using those cool guys (Type L) since I was born and I got surprised to see how other countries outlets are strange when I first travelled abroad

image.png.04dd62f03de93c6e90d08a9e61c75cd1.png

The problem with those is the pins can bend... let's say the outlet is  1 meter from the ground or at some height (not near the bottom) and a device falls down and pulls down on the cable.

Or you have a kid that can't reach the outlet but pulls sideways on the cable ... the plug could come out with the pins bent.

And another flaw with that design ... how are your power strips designed? Can you break the middle earth pin or use a version with no earth pin to insert the plug between two sockets/outlets?

I mean.. you probably have to pretty much use such splitters

image.png.59bdf3c4400685f13f06c259bbc8e625.png

and not this design which may make it possible to connect a plug between two sockets:

image.png.59b06e0e1de350c31f6562b8d08dc43a.png

and this design makes it difficult to have power strips where each socket is at 45 degrees because then the bus bars inside may be too close to each other, so you could have sparks and arcs between them

With regular EU sockets, you can have power strips which have the sockets at 45 degree, which increases the density and makes room for cables coming out the plugs at 90 degree angle.  And you can plug things from either direction Here's an example:

image.png.ad1765f276471b1155e7d0c6475cd7a3.png

38 minutes ago, SesMoge said:

Energy and resources, precius metals, isn’t this just a question of producing less of one and more of the other? Like, the amount of resources dug out is constant, regardless what is made? Them new houses will be built anyways.

Although it is true for those who travel little. And then when travelling, you already probably have an adapter.

Yeah, I don’t think worldwide standard power plug is an urgent problem these days. 

Have you calculated the amount of "energy" is used running a lightbulb in todays standard, for lets say 100 years...versus replacing just 1 receptacle.  

I haven't done the math, this is your idea so I challenge you to do so, to support your claims - how much energy in watts is consumed in a lightbulb running 5 years in current standard (we will say, US perhaps?) and then the amount of energy required to "create" a single receptacle.  

Convince me with facts that this is the way to pave forward.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

USB C as the benchmark is actually horrible. It's not nearly as reliable as Type A, and still a pain to plug in. I'll keep my type A ports.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

48 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

for things like this it doesn't need to be a sudden switch forcing an unusual spike in production and sales of a new product, but rather a gradual change over as new buildings are built. Also (probably not affected by outlet standards but...) if a new standard increases power use efficiency, then the benefits have the potential to outweight the negative costs of a new production.

1 hour ago, SesMoge said:

We should take all the plug standards today, throw them all in a big crock pot, an cook up a plug that has all the benefits.

While we are at it, we might as well make it so easy to plug in, even a blind person could do it.

It shouldn’t be too hard if EVERYONE  agrees to replace all standards with something better. I mean, we did it with USB, and are currently doing it with USB-C. Can’t be that hard with power outlets, right?

for standardization sake, we don't need more than use of the three prong design shown a few comments above this. If a focus on blind or handicapped is given, then little more than an angle is needed.

I've got two hole designs here that can apply to the three pronged center ground design above

image.png.3b92192a907aa79154e89aa94c76d960.png

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Since someone mentioned the UK plugs, I figured I'd post this:

The multi-adapters are terrifying as well. The one that Linus actually showed in the video is __amazing__ because it includes a feature that most people didn't even know about! In the UK or parts of Europe, it turns into a free lamp tester! The ever wonderful Big Clive talks about them here:

One of the safety things that we in the US are more and more commonly seeing (and something that to this day saves lives and eliminates those nasty shocks that Linus so hates) are RCD devices. They've been part of the US National Electric Code for some time now and are super cool, and Technology Connections has a wonderful video on how they work over here: