What is the difference between a quadro and a gtx video card

thexplosivemuffin

hello I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what is the difference and when is it appropriate to use for animations, video editing, and graphic design?

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

You need a quadro if you want to use 10 bit color in adobe programs and they have more video memory to store large models, the rest is explained in the video

btw, thats not for everything, thats pretty solidworks specific, for autocad, there is virtually no difference.

OP: drivers, and clock speed, and ram.

1 minute ago, mikat said:

In addition to this, both cards will do gaming or production work. The difference is that one card will be better at one task than the other.

Quadros can definitely run games well, so they're nice to have in workstations that you occasionally play games on. GeForce cards are better for straight gaming rigs.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

btw, thats not for everything, thats pretty solidworks specific, for autocad, there is virtually no difference.

OP: drivers, and clock speed, and ram.

in some programs you can get 10 bit color to work (hdr in games) but most professional applications don't work with 10 bit unless you've got a quadro :/

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

In addition to this, both cards will do gaming or production work. The difference is that one card will be better at one task than the other.

Quadros can definitely run games well, so they're nice to have in workstations that you occasionally play games on. GeForce cards are better for straight gaming rigs.

geforce cards aren't that much better for gaming with the same gpu, but a $700 quadro vs a $700 geforce card is going to have very different specs so that's why it looks to the average consumer like quadros can't game at all :) 

Just now, mikat said:

geforce cards aren't that much better for gaming with the same gpu, but a $700 quadro vs a $700 geforce card is going to have very different specs so that's why it looks to the average consumer like quadros can't game at all :) 

Quadros aren't the best for gaming, but they can still manage it really well.

To be fair, any card that supports the API can game. It's just a matter of what experience you'll have with it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, mikat said:

in some programs you can get 10 bit color to work (hdr in games) but most professional applications don't work with 10 bit unless you've got a quadro :/

what do you mean by 10 bit color