Issue with Ducky One 2 Mini (MacOS)

jslowik

Hey Guys,

I've recently hooked up my Ducky One 2 Mini to my system and I'm having a bit of an issue. I use a Macbook pro via an OWC thunderbolt 3 dock. At random times the keyboard will go unresponsive and only a single row of keys will be lit (I just have it on the default left to right wave pattern at the moment normally). Unplugging the cable and re-inserting it resolves the problem for a time. I have attempted to use multiple cables and the issue persists. Additionally I have a Ducky Pocket also connected which does not suffer from the same issue (and I've swapped the port that they are plugged into as well).

If anyone has some additional suggestions on things to try I'd be very grateful!

UPDATE September 5 

I emailed Ducky support, and they say they are working on a firmware update for the keyboard to address this problem, but they do not have an estimated date yet.

43 minutes ago, jslowik said:

Hey Guys,

I've recently hooked up my Ducky One 2 Mini to my system and I'm having a bit of an issue. I use a Macbook pro via an OWC thunderbolt 3 dock. At random times the keyboard will go unresponsive and only a single row of keys will be lit (I just have it on the default left to right wave pattern at the moment normally). Unplugging the cable and re-inserting it resolves the problem for a time. I have attempted to use multiple cables and the issue persists. Additionally I have a Ducky Pocket also connected which does not suffer from the same issue (and I've swapped the port that they are plugged into as well).

If anyone has some additional suggestions on things to try I'd be very grateful!

I've heard they were having some QC issues with the USB port on that particular model.

37 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I've heard they were having some QC issues with the USB port on that particular model. 

Interesting. I had not heard that. I'll follow up with MK then. Thanks!

EDIT -

Heard back from mechanicalkeyboards.com and they're informing me that the keyboard is "not designed" to work through the dock (powered OWC 12 port TB3 dock). Does that sound correct? I'm certainly not up to date on any of this.

41 minutes ago, jslowik said:

Interesting. I had not heard that. I'll follow up with MK then. Thanks!

EDIT -

Heard back from mechanicalkeyboards.com and they're informing me that the keyboard is "not designed" to work through the dock (powered OWC 12 port TB3 dock). Does that sound correct? I'm certainly not up to date on any of this.

I don't know much about MacOS or that doc, but It seems dumb that it wouldn't work. It's just a USB device, nothing special.

Kind of my thought. And it works fine 99% of the time (using it now). It's just the weird issue where it'll occasionally partially disconnect, display a single row of lights, and need to be plugged back in. I'll reinstall parallels and see if the firmware needs to be updated on the board while I await another response from MK.

Thanks for making me feel a bit less crazy ?

• 1 month later...

Did MK support ever get back to you? Or were you able to find a solution to this issue?

I've been experiencing the same thing. I have a Ducky One 2 Mini RGB plugged directly into a MacBook and it will occasionally just freeze with one row (sometimes none) lit up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, experiencing the same issue as well on a Mac. Updated the firmware but it still happens. Anyone find a fix yet? 

Thanks! 

On 2/19/2019 at 1:09 PM, jslowik said:

Hey Guys,

I have that same issue with my Ducky One.

Unsure what causes it, but seems to just be a thing with Ducky keyboards.

Which is a shame, because I love mine otherwise.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

On 2/19/2019 at 1:54 PM, geo3 said:

on the ducky one 2 mini?

I have exactly the same issue.  I switched off colors changing and keyboard is just backlit with one color.  Seems to make it last longer before it will crash.  Happens few times a day.  Funnily, my son is using keyboard on PS4 from time to time and he never experienced this issue.  

Also, I am on 

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

System Version: macOS 10.13.6 (17G6030)

Kernel Version: Darwin 17.7.0

Same issue here with the Ducky One 2 Mini on Mac, hopefully it's not a defect and a firmware update will fix it.

This has been happening to me as well, also MacOS... I'm glad to hear I'm not alone!

The frequency of this somewhat reduced since I upgraded to firmware 1.09, but it still happens every week or so...

Would be very glad if someone heard of a workaround or a fix...

Same issue, It triggers when I check for updates (system preferences -> software updates)

I have contacted ducky support to see if this is a known issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I just got a Ducky One 2 Mini with the latest firmware and am having the same exact problem. I've done some sleuthing and have discovered my keyboard only disconnects and lights up a random row when checking for software update in High Sierra (and previous) or going to System Preferences>Software Update. It seems to be directly tied to macOS asking the keyboard for information regarding updates. I've similarly had this problem, albeit unreliably, when going to "About this Mac" and clicking on the USB port the keyboard is connected to.

I've tried this on a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air, a Mac Pro, and a Mac Mini, all running various different operating systems.

An additional note, for some reason this keyboard also cannot be used to access other system partitions during the boot sequence (holding alt/option) or recovery mode. Basically, it seems nonfunctional for any part of the EFI boot process. So sadly, I need a different keyboard to do all that good stuff....

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2019 at 4:28 PM, oliverames said:

Hey all, I just got a Ducky One 2 Mini with the latest firmware and am having the same exact problem. I've done some sleuthing and have discovered my keyboard only disconnects and lights up a random row when checking for software update in High Sierra (and previous) or going to System Preferences>Software Update. It seems to be directly tied to macOS asking the keyboard for information regarding updates. I've similarly had this problem, albeit unreliably, when going to "About this Mac" and clicking on the USB port the keyboard is connected to.

I've tried this on a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air, a Mac Pro, and a Mac Mini, all running various different operating systems.

An additional note, for some reason this keyboard also cannot be used to access other system partitions during the boot sequence (holding alt/option) or recovery mode. Basically, it seems nonfunctional for any part of the EFI boot process. So sadly, I need a different keyboard to do all that good stuff....

Thank you for clarifying this! I am experiencing the exact same issue, also when trying to check for software updates on MacOS...

Hopefully someday there will be a fix, but I'm not betting on it. But at least now, I don't feel crazy. Still thinking about returning the keyboard, though. Has anyone had luck returning their keyboard because of this issue?

...By the way, I'm on MacOS Mojave 10.14.4.

**EDIT**

Karabiner gives this info:

[2019-05-14 03:03:41.287] [warning] [grabber] Ducky One2 Mini RGB (device_id:4310679480) is ungrabbable temporarily by a failure of accessing device.

i had issues with the newer Ducky keyboards, it was a simple power delivery issue because of backlights, pluggin into rear or a USB3 port solved my issues..

used the Monitor USB port, that was a big mistake.

14 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

i had issues with the newer Ducky keyboards, it was a simple power delivery issue because of backlights, pluggin into rear or a USB3 port solved my issues..

used the Monitor USB port, that was a big mistake. 

Forgot I posted this thread. I gave up and just went back to my Windows machine.

I can confirm in my use case the One 2 Mini was also unable to be used during boot. The Pocket was fine. Exact same behavior on multiple generations of MBP.

This wasn't the issue in my case as I attempted to use each of the individual Thunderbolt ports on the MBP I was using.

Apple support "submitted a ticket to engineering" but that was a while ago now. I'm certain they did no such thing. Googling around seems to indicate this sort of thing has happened for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: Didn't see that someone above had already mentioned this - please ignore!

On another forum someone had noted that the Ducky One 2 Mini locks up in MacOS when a system update check occurs.

I decided to test this and went to the Software Update section of System Preferences and immediately when opening it my keyboard locked up with just a single row of buttons lit up.

I suspect what we all thought was random is actually a result of OSX behind the scenes checking for system updates (I'm not sure how often it does this or when).

Anyways hope this helps eventually narrow down the issue.

• 4 weeks later...

*reposted below

Edited by tiggyd
accidentally posted twice

On 5/28/2019 at 7:15 AM, KB Guy said:

EDIT: Didn't see that someone above had already mentioned this - please ignore!

On another forum someone had noted that the Ducky One 2 Mini locks up in MacOS when a system update check occurs.

I decided to test this and went to the Software Update section of System Preferences and immediately when opening it my keyboard locked up with just a single row of buttons lit up.

I suspect what we all thought was random is actually a result of OSX behind the scenes checking for system updates (I'm not sure how often it does this or when).

Anyways hope this helps eventually narrow down the issue.

Thank you! I've disabled automatic update checks for now following these steps:

In Mojave:

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Click on Software Update.
  3. Deselect Automatically keep my Mac up to date

You can also click on Advanced and choose from:

• Check for updates
  • Download new updates when available
  • Install macOS updates
  • Install app updates from the App Store

In High Sierra:

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Click on App Store.
  3. Click on the box beside Automatically check for updates to deselect it.

Source: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-stop-annoying-macos-update-alerts-3681778/

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue here using a USB3 port on a monitor. Had to continuously re-plug in the keyboard every time I left my desk for more than an hour. Turning off automatic Mac OS updates does not seem to help.

Edited by augie4
Realized turning off macOS updates doesn't prevent the issue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Confirmed that if you just turn off the automatic update checkbox that it don't lock the keyboard. BTW use dop stwich 3 for the mini one 2 which i regret. shouldev done an 80%, that what i get for not doing my homework but this keyboard can launch a space ship and probably has more onboard computing power in the keyboard itself than the Apollo Modules.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:33 PM, OGProgrammer said:

Confirmed that if you just turn off the automatic update checkbox that it don't lock the keyboard. BTW use dop stwich 3 for the mini one 2 which i regret. shouldev done an 80%, that what i get for not doing my homework but this keyboard can launch a space ship and probably has more onboard computing power in the keyboard itself than the Apollo Modules.

I heard from a few people that disabling auto updates didn't work 100% of the time for whatever that's worth, and then obviously will disconnect when you go looking for an update. I spoke to Ducky a few weeks ago and they said they were still working on a firmware update.