Question about laptop charger

xVersed
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
3 minutes ago, xVersed said:

Apologies if this is not the correct sub-forum, I just thought it would be best to post here since I'm pretty sure a laptop charger is technically a PSU.

One of my good friends has an Acer Aspire E5-722 laptop and recently the charger that came with it game ended itself. I am helping them find a replacement and I found one at a local tech shop for a really good price but i am worried about the output amps being different and possibly causing damage. The unit that came with the computer is 2.37A output whereas the new one is 3.16A. Will this cause any issues? I would really like to be careful before pulling the trigger on anything since It's not my computer and i know jack about power supplies.

Thanks.

The higher amperage isn't a problem as the laptop will only take what it requires. Just make sure that you get a good quality adapter and not a no-name brand unit. 

Apologies if this is not the correct sub-forum, I just thought it would be best to post here since I'm pretty sure a laptop charger is technically a PSU.

One of my good friends has an Acer Aspire E5-722 laptop and recently the charger that came with it game ended itself. I am helping them find a replacement and I found one at a local tech shop for a really good price but i am worried about the output amps being different and possibly causing damage. The unit that came with the computer is 2.37A output whereas the new one is 3.16A. Will this cause any issues? I would really like to be careful before pulling the trigger on anything since It's not my computer and i know jack about power supplies.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, xVersed said:

Thanks.

The higher amperage isn't a problem as the laptop will only take what it requires. Just make sure that you get a good quality adapter and not a no-name brand unit.