A GPU suggestion for my very old i7 3770

Hey, I'm not new to the channel LTT but definitely new to this forum. So, hi!

Now this is the scene. (PS - if you are out of time, you can ignore the story and move straight ahead..Thenks)

I had a very old system which I built in 2014.

It consisted of an i3 3220 with 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM clocked at 1333 MHz

Initially the PC was only used for academic purposes so I thought why waste money on a GPU when I can play decent titles like CS GO on very low settings.

But then came 2018 where PUBG was all over the scenes and many and I mean MANY games launched which nailed my eyes. I entered into gaming late 2017 or early 2018 where I started following many gaming channels on YouTube and I started viewing LTT because of that.

So basically because of the craze of Gaming, I ended up learning a lot about tech and a lot of credits go to LTT because I have seen many many videos which helped me doing so. Heck, who says no one can learn without a book?

Anyway that's old story. Now I want a gaming PC and I want to get into streaming. But hey, life is bad..I am on a serious budget. Those of you who live in India know that the Dollar to Rupee conversion is not 70/69/71 ; it is rather 100. That's how expensive the hardware is. I was so low on budget that I didn't have money to upgrade my Mobo.

Ultimately I ended up deciding to buy an i7 3770, I threw an 8 gig RAM stick and I upgraded the PSU, HDD and threw an SSD too. Sweet until now, but now I'm into some trouble because now I need to buy a GPU but I don't know which GPU to buy. Now many of my friends criticized me of this decision and said that I could have rather bought an i3 8100 and a H310 series motherboard which I had actually considered as my first choice, but due to the budget I wanted to save up money for the GPU, I ended up doing this.

So guys, please help me select a decent GPU for my old (actually VERY VERY OLD) i7 3770; the options I consider to be in my budget are ATM - RX 570 4 GB; RX 480 8 GB; GTX 1050 Ti; GTX 1060 3GB ; RX 580 8 GB OR if possible, GTX 1060 GB

I want to know and make sure that my CPU doesn't end up bottlenecking the GPU (IDK how it works. I assume it'd be the CPU terribly not able to use the GPU efficiently) 

Thanks and have a great day

A budget PC 

CPU - i7 3770 @3.4 Ghz  ; Cooler-  Antec A30 

Mobo - MSI H-61m P20(G3) ; RAM - 12 GB DDR3 ( 1x4 + 1x8 Dual Channel)

PSU - Corsair VS 450(grey label) ; GPU - Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini

Storage - 120 GB SATA SSD for Windows and PUBG; 500 GB HDD for other games

Case - Cheap ATX case

Oh and just in case, I want to stream modern titles like PUBG and Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 720p'60 FPS (AT LEAST)

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

RX 570. best value, at under 150$, it will easily crush the 1050 ti, and can compete with the 1060 3gb. 

IMO, the 580 isn't worth the 50$ upgrade, its 33% more expensive for 10-15% better.

RX 570 all the way.

Also drop the very very old BS, they're still plenty competent because of how little Intel has really innovated.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

10 minutes ago, Mr.Genuine said:

Now many of my friends criticized me of this decision and said that I could have rather bought an i3 8100 and a H310 series motherboard which I had actually considered as my first choice, but due to the budget I wanted to save up money for the GPU, I ended up doing this.

I don't see why, that's just more money than you need to spend (and it's still only a quad core, I know PUBG plays well with 8 threads).

Just like everyone else, I'll confirm that the RX 570 indeed has uncontested value for a new graphics card. An RX 580 would be neat and if you're considering that then don't consider the 1060 because more often than not it's just more money for the same performance.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Genuine said:

Oh and just in case, I want to stream modern titles like PUBG and Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 720p'60 FPS (AT LEAST)

The CPU is what's important for that, I think you'd be well equipped enough to do so.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, ConceptConnor said:

https://thebottlenecker.com/calculator

I wouldn't go above a 580

Please don't recommend the bogus Bottleneck calculator. It's a vary unreliable source.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I don't see why, that's just more money than you need to spend (and it's still only a quad core, I know PUBG plays well with 8 threads).

Just like everyone else, I'll confirm that the RX 570 indeed has uncontested value for a new graphics card. An RX 580 would be neat and if you're considering that then don't consider the 1060 because more often than not it's just more money for the same performance.

The CPU is what's important for that, I think you'd be well equipped enough to do so.

5 minutes ago, ConceptConnor said:

https://thebottlenecker.com/calculator

I wouldn't go above a 580

15 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

RX 570. best value, at under 150$, it will easily crush the 1050 ti, and can compete with the 1060 3gb. 

IMO, the 580 isn't worth the 50$ upgrade, its 33% more expensive for 10-15% better.

Please don't recommend the bogus Bottleneck calculator. It's a vary unreliable source.

Love the quick response guys, even I think an RX 570 4 GB would be a good choice for the price, especially where it has an offer where you get 2 free games, so that's cool.

Talking about streaming, I think I'd rather stream on the GPU encoder because the performance drops are much lesser than x.264 and I don't think there is a difference one can find in quality between the two at 4500/4000 bitrate, if I'm not wrong

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

A 3770 isn't old :(

I mean I'm running an i7 950 and have an i7 920 too so yeah, 3770 is pretty fricken new by comparison. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, mikat said:

an i7-3770 is still pretty good, I'm running a 1070ti with my 4790k (850 cb score, vs 3770's 670) without bottlenecking :D

you can probably go up to a 1070

If I had that much money why would I stay with a 3770, I'd rather buy an i5 8400 right? It's really nice to know that old Intel CPUs are sticking with new cards :D

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

5 minutes ago, Mr.Genuine said:

If I had that much money why would I stay with a 3770, I'd rather buy an i5 8400 right? It's really nice to know that old Intel CPUs are sticking with new cards :D

well no, if you had that much money it would still be wise to spend it on a new gpu instead of a cpu because that would benefit your gaming experience more

dont knock your system, the 3770 is still perfectly adequate. my old system ran one since it was new and i only recently upgraded (i'm now selling the system)

i ran it with a GTX970 and it was nowhere near CPU bound. When i upgraded to 1 1080ti was where it started to show the limitations of the CPU. i mean dont get me wrong, it ran like a dream, i just couldnt push the GPU as hard as it could go.

i then gave the system to my son running a 1050ti and was disappointed with the performance as the GPU was really holding the system back.

i would agree that if a 1060 (or AMD equivalent) is in your budget then this would be a good combination and you'd enjoy good 1080p AAA gaming. Also since DDR3 prices have dropped dramaticallty i'd look into seeing if you can upgrade to more than 8GB RAM. i noticed a good jump when going from 8GB to 16GB on that system, especially as a PUBG player who didnt want to close all my backgound apps.

38 minutes ago, Mr.Genuine said:

Hey, I'm not new to the channel LTT but definitely new to this forum. So, hi!

Now this is the scene. (PS - if you are out of time, you can ignore the story and move straight ahead..Thenks)

Reveal hidden contents

I had a very old system which I built in 2014.

It consisted of an i3 3220 with 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM clocked at 1333 MHz

Initially the PC was only used for academic purposes so I thought why waste money on a GPU when I can play decent titles like CS GO on very low settings.

But then came 2018 where PUBG was all over the scenes and many and I mean MANY games launched which nailed my eyes. I entered into gaming late 2017 or early 2018 where I started following many gaming channels on YouTube and I started viewing LTT because of that.

So basically because of the craze of Gaming, I ended up learning a lot about tech and a lot of credits go to LTT because I have seen many many videos which helped me doing so. Heck, who says no one can learn without a book?

Anyway that's old story. Now I want a gaming PC and I want to get into streaming. But hey, life is bad..I am on a serious budget. Those of you who live in India know that the Dollar to Rupee conversion is not 70/69/71 ; it is rather 100. That's how expensive the hardware is. I was so low on budget that I didn't have money to upgrade my Mobo.

Ultimately I ended up deciding to buy an i7 3770, I threw an 8 gig RAM stick and I upgraded the PSU, HDD and threw an SSD too. Sweet until now, but now I'm into some trouble because now I need to buy a GPU but I don't know which GPU to buy. Now many of my friends criticized me of this decision and said that I could have rather bought an i3 8100 and a H310 series motherboard which I had actually considered as my first choice, but due to the budget I wanted to save up money for the GPU, I ended up doing this.

So guys, please help me select a decent GPU for my old (actually VERY VERY OLD) i7 3770; the options I consider to be in my budget are ATM - RX 570 4 GB; RX 480 8 GB; GTX 1050 Ti; GTX 1060 3GB ; RX 580 8 GB OR if possible, GTX 1060 GB

I want to know and make sure that my CPU doesn't end up bottlenecking the GPU (IDK how it works. I assume it'd be the CPU terribly not able to use the GPU efficiently) 

Thanks and have a great day

get an rx 580

if you cant do that then get a 480 and flash a 580 bios on it(its better than the 1060)

GTX 1060.

Less driver overhead on an older CPU will make it faster than the RX 580.

RX 570 if you are looking for the absolute best performance per dollar.  Its much cheaper, but relatively close in performance.

42 minutes ago, Mr.Genuine said:

At 720p you will get goo results.  Also your CPU isn't that bad; if you can overclock it, then you really wont have much of a bottleneck with a RX 580

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

3 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

At 720p you will get goo results.  Also your CPU isn't that bad; if you can overclock it, then you really wont have much of a bottleneck with a RX 580

what do you mean by goo?

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

14 minutes ago, mikat said:

well no, if you had that much money it would still be wise to spend it on a new gpu instead of a cpu because that would benefit your gaming experience more

But I cannot forget that I have to stream too, and many games today need good CPU like Battlefield V, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, etc.

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

12 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

GTX 1060.

Less driver overhead on an older CPU will make it faster than the RX 580.

RX 570 if you are looking for the absolute best performance per dollar.  Its much cheaper, but relatively close in performance.

GTX 1060 is faster than RX 580 in most cases I assume. 

14 minutes ago, Jay Deah said:

dont knock your system, the 3770 is still perfectly adequate. my old system ran one since it was new and i only recently upgraded (i'm now selling the system)

i ran it with a GTX970 and it was nowhere near CPU bound. When i upgraded to 1 1080ti was where it started to show the limitations of the CPU. i mean dont get me wrong, it ran like a dream, i just couldnt push the GPU as hard as it could go.

i then gave the system to my son running a 1050ti and was disappointed with the performance as the GPU was really holding the system back.

i would agree that if a 1060 (or AMD equivalent) is in your budget then this would be a good combination and you'd enjoy good 1080p AAA gaming. Also since DDR3 prices have dropped dramaticallty i'd look into seeing if you can upgrade to more than 8GB RAM. i noticed a good jump when going from 8GB to 16GB on that system, especially as a PUBG player who didnt want to close all my backgound apps.

I'll be streaming on the GPU encoder and I think the VRAM of the GPU too, matters. And you're right RAM matters. I have 12 GB RAM now. Maybe I'll swap the 4 gig stick with an 8 GB one. I'm feeling relieved after reading this. Thanks

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

4 minutes ago, Mr.Genuine said:

GTX 1060 is faster than RX 580 in most cases I assume.

The difference grows as you move down into slower CPU's.

With a new CPU the difference is pretty minimal, with lower end or older CPUs the difference widens a bit in favor of the GTX 1060.

49 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

can you give it a try and link me some bogus results? I'm not finding any :c

1 minute ago, ConceptConnor said:

can you give it a try and link me some bogus results? I'm not finding any :c

Any figure obtained from the site is a bogus result

Primary PC:

Any figure obtained from the site is a bogus result

So quad 2080ti's wouldn't be bottle-necked by a Pentium? That's what the site tells me so it must be bogus?

2 minutes ago, ConceptConnor said:

So quad 2080ti's wouldn't be bottle-necked by a Pentium? That's what the site tells me so it must be bogus?

The SITE is bogus, and you cant quad SLI 280ti's so you just look like a wanker now.

CPU limitation depends on resolution and the game being played.

Higher resolution = less CPU bottleneck.  Civ 5 is ALWAYS CPU bottlenecked.