MSI vs. ASUS z390m

The Cow

So, which would you choose?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119161&ignorebbr=1

or

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813144214

I am partial to the MSI due to the rear IO but I can't get past the negative feedback MSI usually garners. The lame thing is, they are the same price and no current bundle deals with a 8700k.

Side note, anyone have significantly higher thermals with a 8700k at stock speeds when compared to the 8700 non K?

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Yes ASUS Z390 turned out to not be that great unlike some of their other high end boards like HEDT.  The Gigabyte is proven and will OC the CPU to its max it can go.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

15 minutes ago, The Cow said:

What would make you choose this over the MSI and ASUS boards?

Extremely better VRM design, cooling and performance along side with more reliable power phases and IMC support.

Only 2 Micro-ATX boards are worth buying if you're planning to overclock an Intel 8th/9th processor, that Gigabyte Z390M Gaming or go full out break the bank on an ASUS Maximums XI GENE Micro-ATX.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

What would be your suggestion in a non overclock, 8700 non k, situation. sticking with z390 for the WiFi and BT 5.0.

27 minutes ago, The Cow said:

What would be your suggestion in a non overclock, 8700 non k, situation. sticking with z390 for the WiFi and BT 5.0.

a motherboard without wifi and bluetooth and getting a separate dongle or pcie solution

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

a motherboard without wifi and bluetooth and getting a separate dongle or pcie solution

Lol, fair enough. I guess i'm stuck on not using dongles as i'm sick of laptops.

1 minute ago, The Cow said:

Lol, fair enough. I guess i'm stuck on not using dongles as i'm sick of laptops.

just so we're on the same page, i mean like these

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor pcie wifi card

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor usb wifi

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

just so we're on the same page, i mean like these

Yeah, we are.

Not asking about it like i'm getting it, I think z390 is not necessary for my case, but is there any issue with that MSI board? Not a lot of info or reviews. 

Just now, The Cow said:

Yeah, we are.

Not asking about it like i'm getting it, I think z390 is not necessary for my case, but is there any issue with that MSI board? Not a lot of info or reviews. 

there's nothing really wrong with it, but there are better alternatives, that's why i don't recommend it.

that gigabyte would technically be enough to run a 9900k on those vrm's