what headphones to get

yadinmere

ok so after so much research I got it down to aether the akg k7xx or the hd6xx now pls keep in mind that these headphones are going to be used for mostly gaming and a little of music listening and also a fair bit of youtube and content consumption so witch one so you guys think will suit me better especially talking soundstage and imaging. 

like these are both still way better then like gaming headphones and I will get a mic like the mod mic or something along those lines and one more question will I need an amp for the k7xx and if so what is the cheapest I can get away with, the budget is a concern. I was really set on the k7xx but then this guy just contradicts every review I saw so far.

pls help and thank you 

and the games i mostly play are fps and like open world no so much on the single player stuff 

12 minutes ago, yadinmere said:

ok so after so much research I got it down to aether the akg k7xx or the hd6xx now pls keep in mind that these headphones are going to be used for mostly gaming and a little of music listening and also a fair bit of youtube and content consumption so witch one so you guys think will suit me better especially talking soundstage and imaging. 

like these are both still way better then like gaming headphones and I will get a mic like the mod mic or something along those lines and one more question will I need an amp for the k7xx and if so what is the cheapest I can get away with, the budget is a concern. I was really set on the k7xx but then this guy just contradicts every review I saw so far.

pls help and thank you 

and the games i mostly play are fps and like open world no so much on the single player stuff 

So you want stereo HP's or virtual surround 7.1 or true surround which bunch of inputs like side speaker,, front center,, rear and woofer. etc. ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

no, I don't need that crap I much rather have great audio quality over the 7.1 surround things just as i said i does need to have great imaging 

I am not an expert but keep in mind that to utilize studio Headphones(as you re looking to buy this kind of headphones and i'm with you in that), you would need a good amp/dac to drive them properly and listen to what they got to give, otherwise it would be better to go for some kind of kraken-like headphones which i don't really like but they wiil do their job.
Also i am going to tag @Dackzy . He knows so many things about sound and can be very helpful here.

ok man thank you and as it seems now i will most likely go with the akg k7xx because of there great imaging and soundstage unless your friend changes my mind also one of the upsides that there 60 something ohm's i forgot maybe 62 either way definitely not amp dependent 

1 hour ago, yadinmere said:

ok man thank you and as it seems now i will most likely go with the akg k7xx because of there great imaging and soundstage unless your friend changes my mind also one of the upsides that there 60 something ohm's i forgot maybe 62 either way definitely not amp dependent 

Don't get the K7XX it is super boomy and grainy compared to other AKG headphones, like K612, K702, K712 (which are all better headphones). They all have a fairly wide soundstage and decent imaging. The impedance doesn't say if you need an amp or not, like the Hifiman HE 6 is a 50 Ohm headphone, but they require you to have a speaker amp to power them or a very powerful headphone amp. You should worry a lot more about the sensitivity/efficiency aka dB/mW or dB/V, since that is really what makes a headphone hard to power or easy to power.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

14 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Don't get the K7XX it is super boomy and grainy compared to other AKG headphones, like K612, K702, K712 (which are all better headphones). They all have a fairly wide soundstage and decent imaging. The impedance doesn't say if you need an amp or not, like the Hifiman HE 6 is a 50 Ohm headphone, but they require you to have a speaker amp to power them or a very powerful headphone amp. You should worry a lot more about the sensitivity/efficiency aka dB/mW or dB/V, since that is really what makes a headphone hard to power or easy to power.

ok dude ill take your word for it even thou i heard great things about them but pls recommend my a high quality headphone for gaming and like a little of music and for like movies and stuff but first of all gaming keep in mind I'm like not that match of an audiophile @Dackzy

I have the akg k712 pro (its like the k7xx) and for gaming and music is one of the best headphones, Imaging is almost pinpoint and for music is also fun (people would say its bassy but its only a little bit , for enjoying music its perfect )

You wont regret buying those k7xx. even the k712 or the 710 they are close

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

4 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

I have the akg k712 pro (its like the k7xx) and for gaming and music is one of the best headphones, Imaging is almost pinpoint and for music is also fun (people would say its bassy but its only a little bit , for enjoying music its perfect )

You wont regret buying those k7xx. even the k712 or the 710 they are close

They are two completely different headphones. The bass in the K7XX is bloated and this affects the mids. This affects the detail retrival and in OPs case the ability to hear footstepsoutput(2).png.b21b1e08563d38643d2b12b5caef17be.png

50 minutes ago, yadinmere said:

ok dude ill take your word for it even thou i heard great things about them but pls recommend my a high quality headphone for gaming and like a little of music and for like movies and stuff but first of all gaming keep in mind I'm like not that match of an audiophile @Dackzy

I already did, K612, K702 and K712 they are all better than the K7XX, none of them have the bloat that the K7XX has or the same grain. Another option could be the AD900x.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

@Dackzy u sure about that because not to sound stupid but the 702 are cheaper than the 7xx (which I understood to be the 712 just made in China) even after the massdrop thing that's kind of strange what will make them better and were is that graph from btw and like even by that graph they do seem very similar like not entirely different headphones I will say 

and dude how are you not a mod like 12000 posts wow any way waiting to hear back from you thx

one thing i will say thou is that you said that the difference is in the bass and that is were they seem most similar 

50 minutes ago, yadinmere said:

@Dackzy u sure about that because not to sound stupid but the 702 are cheaper than the 7xx (which I understood to be the 712 just made in China) even after the massdrop thing that's kind of strange what will make them better and were is that graph from btw and like even by that graph they do seem very similar like not entirely different headphones I will say 

Higher price doesn't mean better. The K702 is the older version of the K712.

The graph is from a audio discord server and the graph shows a 5dB difference across the bass response and lower mids. It really affects how you experience the sound and the driver can't handle the 5dB gain that well which is why they are rather bloated. The bass will be a lot tighter with the 612,702 or 712 and more detailed.

53 minutes ago, yadinmere said:

and what is a OPs

Original poster.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Higher price doesn't mean better. The K702 is the older version of the K712.

The graph is from a audio discord server and the graph shows a 5dB difference across the bass response and lower mids. It really affects how you experience the sound and the driver can't handle the 5dB gain that well which is why they are rather bloated. The bass will be a lot tighter with the 612,702 or 712 and more detailed.

Original poster.

Ok man just final word I think I'll go for them buy him mutch do you really think I will notice that if I'm not that mutch of an audiophile. 

Are they steal gonna be good for gaming and how do you know all that cause I heard great reviews of them for gaming 

Ok man just final word I think I'll go for them buy him mutch do you really think I will notice that if I'm not that mutch of an audiophile. 

Are they steal gonna be good for gaming and how do you know all that cause I heard great reviews of them for gaming 

tried them multiple times, the K612 is a part of my personal collection and has been since they basically came out, I have tried the 712 and 702 many times. Most of the good reviews of them are by people with very little experience in this field, but why get something less that cost more, when you can get something that is better and cheaper? 

Yes you will be able to notice the difference between the K7XX and any of the headphones I listed, it is pretty clear and I can say this in confidence because my none audiophile friends could do it without any problem. All of the AKG headphones I listed will have similar soundstage and imaging, but offer tighter bass and more detail.

If you want to, then you can see part of my person collection in my signature.

@Dackzy ok man really thank you for all the help I think I'll order today the akg 792 for 170 on amazon that is if that is the best gaming headphones that you think are possible for that price 

@Dackzy ok man really thank you for all the help I think I'll order today the akg 792 for 170 on amazon that is if that is the best gaming headphones that you think are possible for that price 

I mean I can't say if you will like the signature, but they are pretty good for gaming.

ok man thank once again for all the help and the support just out of curiosity do you game and if so what do you use @Dackzy

and will I need an amp if so what is the cheapest I can get away with

aww man I'm seeing saw many great reviews for the k7xx for gaming like 

and like a lot more how sure are you that the bass is going to be such a problem and can you pls give like a little more detail of what you think the problem will be  

and this guy is saying that the Astro headphones are like a touch better for the imaging and thoughts on that

and i see great reviews of the DT990 pro for gaming like ninja is using them and like how are they compared to the akg line 

15 minutes ago, yadinmere said:

ok man thank once again for all the help and the support just out of curiosity do you game and if so what do you use @Dackzy

I used to play a lot, lots of CSGO, CSS, BF 3, BF 4, BF 1. I often use my K612 or Focal Elex, but it isn't like a headphone will suddenly make you good at a game.

7 minutes ago, yadinmere said:

aww man I'm seeing saw many great reviews for the k7xx for gaming like 

and like a lot more how sure are you that the bass is going to be such a problem and can you pls give like a little more detail of what you think the problem will be  

again by a dude with very little experience in this field. It's like the blind leading the blind. Out from that video it is so clear that he has no real experience with any headphones that are actually worth anything.

It probably won't be a problem for you since you aren't used to anything better, but why get something that is worse and cost more when you can get something that is better and cheaper? It legit makes no sense to get the K7XX.

The bass isn't very well controlled at all, because of this detail gets lots and it hurts the lower mids which then hurts your ability to hear details that would be in that range, which could be footsteps.

I honestly don't see how you can be in doubt, all the reviews that say that the K7XX are good are from gaming channels and people that have no experience with actual headphones, but have mainly used gaming headsets which as a segment generally suck compared to headphones.

2 minutes ago, yadinmere said:

and i see great reviews of the DT990 pro for gaming like ninja is using them and like how are they compared to the akg line 

if you want treble that stabs your eardrums, then get those, but they don't have a as big of a soundstage compared to any of the AKGs and well they are very V shaped in their signature so the bass and highs are elevated quite a bit. The DT 880 would be better than the 990, but if soundstage matters so much to you then they aren't on the table, since they have a smaller one than the AKGs.

10 minutes ago, yadinmere said:

and this guy is saying that the Astro headphones are like a touch better for the imaging and thoughts on that

they sound horrible in every way, way less detail and just general audio quality is horrible with any Astro headsets. They sound muddy with a lot of dips throughout the frequency response.

And just as a last remark, open headphones leak sound in and out. And I don't think that I can help you anymore.