Cooler to Cool 9900K in ITX Case?

Tocsin_786

So I haven't upgraded my pc in 10 years, and saved money to build a new one. I strictly want an ITX pc this time (for space savings) and am thinking of building in this case. I'm going to put an I9-9900K in my system, and I know it runs hot!. I have a Be-Quiet Shadow Rock LP that I currently use for my 2600. Will that cooler be enough for my future build, and if not, what cooler would be good for that case? I can't seem to find one that would work. I know I can downgrade the CPU but I also want my pc to run another 10 years. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

32 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

Why are you getting a 9900K in the first place...

bd5g5Yy.jpg

D E E P  F R I E D  C O R E S

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

39 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

D E E P  F R I E D  C O R E S

Lemme get uhhh 9 piece chicken bucket with uuuuhhh 

9900KFC

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

1 hour ago, Tocsin_786 said:

So I haven't upgraded my pc in 10 years, and saved money to build a new one. I strictly want an ITX pc this time (for space savings) and am thinking of building in this case. I'm going to put an I9-9900K in my system, and I know it runs hot!. I have a Be-Quiet Shadow Rock LP that I currently use for my 2600. Will that cooler be enough for my future build, and if not, what cooler would be good for that case? I can't seem to find one that would work. I know I can downgrade the CPU but I also want my pc to run another 10 years. 

Thats a 95W TDP processor, and a 130W TDP cooler. You answered your own question... lmao.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

12 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

Lemme get uhhh 9 piece chicken bucket with uuuuhhh 

9900KFC

A number 9 large with extra dip and a number 7 with cheese and a large soda

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

12 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Thats a 95W TDP processor, and a 130W TDP cooler. You answered your own question... lmao.

Intel posts misleading TDPs. 95W is at stock 3.7ghz, however boosted it can reach up to 250W. 

Just now, hello_there_123 said:

Intel posts misleading TDPs. 95W is at stock 3.7ghz, however boosted it can reach up to 250W. 

Well then if OP intends on using that cooler, he should disable MCE and be sure to run it at stock ?

I also dont believe a 95W chip can turbo to over 200% it's rated power draw, buuuuuut....

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

the "130W" is abosolute BS, its litterally marketing. I bet its 130W in an open air test bench with the ambient temperture at 0 degrees celcius.

whatever temps you get on your 2600, increase it by 30-40C, as the 9900k is a furnace. Its a 7700k (which was already really hot), multiplied by 2, and with the voltage jacked up to run the chip at 4.7ghz.

4 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

Why are you getting a 9900K in the first place...

I do video and photo production. Also gaming, and I really want a small FF pc this time because i am space constrained. This cpu can last me with everything I need to do on my pc for years to come. I have the budget for it. The reason why I don't wanna get AMD is because their ITX boards aren't as good right now, and I want thunderbolt 3 output. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

2 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

2 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Well then if OP intends on using that cooler, he should disable MCE and be sure to run it at stock ?

I also dont believe a 95W chip can turbo to over 200% it's rated power draw, buuuuuut....

I personally won't overclock that thing on my own, I know it will not work best because I want ITX FF. But I just want a cooler that will let the CPU boost when the temps are capable of making it do so. 

1 minute ago, Tocsin_786 said:

I do video and photo production. Also gaming, and I really want a small FF pc this time because i am space constrained. This cpu can last me with everything I need to do on my pc for years to come. I have the budget for it. The reason why I don't wanna get AMD is because their ITX boards aren't as good right now, and I want thunderbolt 3 output. 

That's fine, but with that case, you can't go air since you're constrained to 145mm. The case supports up to a 280mm rad, so I suggest you go with the Corsair H115i Pro and keep it at performance level PWM, as that's the best noise / temperature balance.

Just now, hello_there_123 said:

That's fine, but with that case, you can't go air since you're constrained to 145mm. The case supports up to a 280mm rad, so I suggest you go with the Corsair H115i Pro and keep it at performance level PWM, as that's the best noise / temperature balance.

This. I didn't know the case had rad support, I don't build ITX systems often. You will be much better off with a 280MM AIO than a slim air cooler.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

I personally won't overclock that thing on my own, I know it will not work best because I want ITX FF. But I just want a cooler that will let the CPU boost when the temps are capable of making it do so. 

if you want an air cooler, then I'd get this

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Y27CmG/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk020

or a noctua c14s.

12 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

I also have a Kraken X61, so I can use that as well. I was always under the impression that air coolers were better than AIO, so that's why I didn't mention it. 

On 2/17/2019 at 7:47 PM, Tocsin_786 said:

I strictly want an ITX pc this time (for space savings) and am thinking of building in this case.

Then you have to think hard about what you want to put inside.

Because size restrictions also means restrictions in Thermal capability.

So putting a high power CPU inside a very small case is asking for a desaster. You really have to choose it carefully!!
Especially in such small enviroments.

I'm going to put an I9-9900K in my system, and I know it runs hot!

a bad idea, very bad idea.

If you really want to use that CPU, we're talking somewhere around 250W Power Consumption. That's not something that Case or the Heatsink you chose is capable of.

I have a Be-Quiet Shadow Rock LP that I currently use for my 2600.

2600? What 2600?
Ryzen 2600 or i7-2600??

That Heatsink is totally not up for the CPU you chose.

Will that cooler be enough for my future build, and if not, what cooler would be good for that case?

Probably nothing or going for an AIO thing.

But, depending on the 2600, you should wait as 7nm Chips are on the horizon.

Those Chip allow higher performance with lower power consumption.

THAT is what you should be waiting for.

Otherwise go for a decent µATX System.

I can't seem to find one that would work. I know I can downgrade the CPU but I also want my pc to run another 10 years. 

Then you should wait until summer and get the next best thing and not pay rediculous amounts of money for the old shit that will be obsolete in a couple of months...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 2/18/2019 at 12:45 AM, Tocsin_786 said:

The reason why I don't wanna get AMD is because their ITX boards aren't as good right now, and I want thunderbolt 3 output. 

That's totally not true. Why? How?

There are some good ITX Boards for like 200€ from ASUS.

And Thunderbolt is Intel Only as well.

And now I have to be blunt;

You are inventing something so that you don't have to look at the other side.

What is not "as good" On this:

https://geizhals.de/asus-rog-strix-b450-i-gaming-90mb0z50-m0eay0-a1843431.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

Or that:

https://geizhals.de/asus-rog-strix-x470-i-gaming-90mb0xe0-m0eay0-a1804449.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

As said, the Intel CPU pulls 250W out of the box, without real overclocking (just without Boost Restraints).

AMD 105W TDP means 105W TDP (more or less).

Means: the VRM on the Intel Board has to be beefier.

And the Intel Board with "Thunderbolt" Support, says that:
- 1 x Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 (Compatible with USB 3.1 Gen2 and USB-C Display)*
So its just a USB3.1 gen2 port with Display Output, not "real Thunderbolt", wich would mean PCIe x4 Support wich this does not support...

There is no other ITX Motherboard with "Thunderbolt" Support. So the "I want Thunderbolt" Argument is no valid as there is no real thunderbolt. Only USB 3.1 gen2. 

And that's something you find on AMD as well. 

If you want USB 3.1 gen2 as a Type-C Connector, this Board is an Option:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITXac/

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITXac/

And as said, there is something new coming in a couple of Months!
If you really want your PC to last another 10 years, you'd want one of those and nothing else!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

20 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Then you have to think hard about what you want to put inside.

Because size restrictions also means restrictions in Thermal capability.

So putting a high power CPU inside a very small case is asking for a desaster. You really have to choose it carefully!!
Especially in such small enviroments.

a bad idea, very bad idea.

If you really want to use that CPU, we're talking somewhere around 250W Power Consumption. That's not something that Case or the Heatsink you chose is capable of.

2600? What 2600?
Ryzen 2600 or i7-2600??

That Heatsink is totally not up for the CPU you chose.

Probably nothing or going for an AIO thing.

But, depending on the 2600, you should wait as 7nm Chips are on the horizon.

Those Chip allow higher performance with lower power consumption.

THAT is what you should be waiting for.

Otherwise go for a decent µATX System.

Then you should wait until summer and get the next best thing and not pay rediculous amounts of money for the old shit that will be obsolete in a couple of months...

I thought the context of my backstory was enough to point out that the cpu is an i7-2600 since i didnt upgrade for years, but yea I think I do need to wait. It feels like 7nm has been coming for years but never comes. 

On 2/17/2019 at 2:09 PM, Firewrath9 said:

the "130W" is abosolute BS, its litterally marketing. I bet its 130W in an open air test bench with the ambient temperture at 0 degrees celcius.

It's not BS. Here's an example of it handling a synthetic 150w load just fine and Frostytech considering the 130w TDP stated as conservative: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2788&page=5

On 2/17/2019 at 3:48 PM, hello_there_123 said:

145mm is enough for some decent air coolers like the Cryorig H7 / Plus / QL or NH-C14S. 

On 2/17/2019 at 4:02 PM, Tocsin_786 said:

I also have a Kraken X61, so I can use that as well. I was always under the impression that air coolers were better than AIO, so that's why I didn't mention it. 

There's plenty of overlap in terms of performance between air coolers and AIO's. I'd recommend looking at individual cooler comparisons instead.

You can see relative performance here:

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.