What do you think of this business idea (catering / restaurant(s))?

MyName13

The problem with going to restaurants is that you can't have everything you want in a single restaurant.Maybe one wants meals that can be had only in different restaurants.What if there was a restaurant that simply orders food from other restaurants, it would basically be a middle man.Guests would obviously have to make orders in advance.Quality control would be an issue, if a restaurant did something wrong, the middle man would be blamed.Would this idea work?Do you know of any company that does this?What do you think?

Isn't this middleman kinda unnecessary? If the middleman can order from other restaurants, so can the patrons. Like, if I wanna have Indian food and my wife wants Chinese food, then we'll just order takeout from an Indian and a Chinese restaurant.

I also don't think people are this inflexible. Usually people will find at least one thing on a menu they they'll like, or if it's a group of people going out to eat then they've probably talked it over prior to going out and planned accordingly.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

27 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Isn't this middleman kinda unnecessary? If the middleman can order from other restaurants, so can the patrons. Like, if I wanna have Indian food and my wife wants Chinese food, then we'll just order takeout from an Indian and a Chinese restaurant. 

I also don't think people are this inflexible. Usually people will find at least one thing on a menu they they'll like, or if it's a group of people going out to eat then they've probably talked it over prior to going out and planned accordingly.

That's the point, I'm not talking about orders with delivery because I'm not sure if most restaurants even offer delivery.

When you make food for yourself (by yourself), you will make what you want.Why would you do it differently when going to restaurants?Not all restaurants offer the same things and if they have something common, it certainly isn't the same meal.

2 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

That's the point, I'm not talking about orders with delivery because I'm not sure if most restaurants even offer delivery.

But then you'll have the issue of having restaurants wanting to deliver to you. 

You would essentially take business away from the restuarant, and you'll have them deliever the weapons with which you'll kill them. 

3 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

When you make food for yourself (by yourself), you will make what you want.Why would you do it differently when going to restaurants?Not all restaurants offer the same things and if they have something common, it certainly isn't the same meal.

But isn't this part of the point? If I go to restaurant A and order Chicken Tikka Masala, then I'm interested in how they make it taste. I wanna know if it's different, better, worse or the same as the Chicken at restaurant B. 

9 minutes ago, Volbet said:

But then you'll have the issue of having restaurants wanting to deliver to you. 

You would essentially take business away from the restuarant, and you'll have them deliever the weapons with which you'll kill them. 

But isn't this part of the point? If I go to restaurant A and order Chicken Tikka Masala, then I'm interested in how they make it taste. I wanna know if it's different, better, worse or the same as the Chicken at restaurant B. 

No, this imaginary company would take care of logistics.

About the second point, I'm not sure if I understand it.I tried to say that you shouldn't be forced to pick something you're not interested in just because a particular restaurant doesn't offer everything you want.

EDIT: besides, ordering a meal from multiple restaurants might be more expensive as this imaginary company would have far more vehicles on the ground all over the city so it should be cheaper.

2 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

No, this imaginary company would take care of logistics.

That makes no sense:

You said: 

1 hour ago, MyName13 said:

What if there was a restaurant that simply orders food from other restaurants, it would basically be a middle man

That implies that other resturants (presumably local ones) would have to willingly deliver their food to you. 

Unless you wanna have covert employees go into resturants and smuggle out meals. 

My argument is that no resturant in their right mind would agree to such a thing. If they allow you to server their meals, then they might as well close up shop.

It would like if Coca-Cola allowed PepsiCo to sell Coke Zero in the US domestic market. 

6 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

About the second point, I'm not sure if I understand it.I tried to say that you shouldn't be forced to pick something you're not interested in just because a particular restaurant doesn't offer everything you want.

And my argument here is that people usually aren't that picky, and if the are then the resturant trip would probably be planned well ahead. 

In a time where every resturant, diner, eatery, cafetria and tavern worth their salt has an online menue it's easier than ever to plan your night on the town's. 

How would the middle-man company be able make a profit or even break even? By charging more for the EXACT same thing you could get from going to the source directly? 

1 hour ago, Volbet said:

That makes no sense:

You said: 

That implies that other resturants (presumably local ones) would have to willingly deliver their food to you. 

Unless you wanna have covert employees go into resturants and smuggle out meals. 

My argument is that no resturant in their right mind would agree to such a thing. If they allow you to server their meals, then they might as well close up shop.

It would like if Coca-Cola allowed PepsiCo to sell Coke Zero in the US domestic market. 

And my argument here is that people usually aren't that picky, and if the are then the resturant trip would probably be planned well ahead. 

In a time where every resturant, diner, eatery, cafetria and tavern worth their salt has an online menue it's easier than ever to plan your night on the town's. 

Why?They would still make the same amount of money they have made before.

So if you're planning a restaurant trip you would go to 1 restaurant for 1 meal, wait for it to be prepared, eat it, then repeat the same for every meal?

59 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

How would the middle-man company be able make a profit or even break even? By charging more for the EXACT same thing you could get from going to the source directly? 

Would you go to 1 restaurant for appetizer, another for the main course, 3rd one for the desert etc.?People pay more for convenience instead of going to the source.

26 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Here's a small insigt into the resturant business. The meals are rarely the thing the resturants makes money on. The profit on a platter of food is very slim. 

It's all the extras that bring in the dough. Wine, soda, side orders, etc. that's where the money is to be made. 

By sending their meals out of the restaurant they would be cutting off that revenue stream.

Also, they would also not make the same amount of money per meal, since they would only serve one meal on your model, but would serve at least one and potentially more if the patron(s) actually visited their resturant. 

26 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

So if you're planning a restaurant trip you would go to 1 restaurant for 1 meal, wait for it to be prepared, eat it, then repeat the same for every meal?

No, I would pick a resturant where everyone could find something they'd like to eat. In urban centers that's not too diffcult of a task. 

And if that failed miserably, then we could order takeout from different places. Cut out the middleman, so to speak. 

Ever heard of Postmates, or UberEats, or Amazon Restaurants, or DoorDash, or GrubHub, or probably a dozen others I don't know about

They more or less do what you describe, except they deliver the food to my door

hastily scroll through your post, what came up to me is you wanna build a take out delivery service but it serves on table. 

i think to most people the idea is a bit hard to grasp, and i don't see how it will work. 

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

I cook my own food. Eating out is for the entitled. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

6 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Would you go to 1 restaurant for appetizer, another for the main course, 3rd one for the desert etc.?People pay more for convenience instead of going to the source.

This is a novel idea but I cannot possibly imagine you could maintain a customer base to make a profit. And all the headaches you’d have to deal with. 

Further to your second point - no. Regular people would just pick one restaurant to eat at.

Besides, what exactly are you offering that delivery doesn’t?

Table service? What if they want seconds, or if a meal is wrong? Essentially, anything the customer wanted to happen would be delayed by 45+ minutes while you order and get delivery from some other restaurant. 

And in terms of restaurants supplying you? What’s in it for them?

Delivery gives them brand recognition. You’d be stealing that from them. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 hours ago, MyName13 said:

The problem with going to restaurants is that you can't have everything you want in a single restaurant.Maybe one wants meals that can be had only in different restaurants.What if there was a restaurant that simply orders food from other restaurants, it would basically be a middle man.Guests would obviously have to make orders in advance.Quality control would be an issue, if a restaurant did something wrong, the middle man would be blamed.Would this idea work?Do you know of any company that does this?What do you think?

Don't know of any companies like this, but for some of the problems you pointed out I don't see this ever working. It's not really needed either. If you're going to a restaurant it's because you want the food there and everyone agreed where they want to go.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

• 4 weeks later...

I thin in a way there are service like this, small businesses that offer to order food from anywhere. But they aren't "restaurants", they are food delivery services. But the idea seems to be the same. 

But if there is indeed a restaurant like this.. they wouldn't have their own menu right? They would simple think of the the ordering and delivery, plus marketing. It could be a possibility, since restaurants are trying out a lot of tactics these days. Ever received SMS from your local restaurants? Apparently there's this SMS marketing that's restaurants are trying. Maybe it'll come in handy for this theoretical restaurant you have in mind. Texting/chatting can require less workforce than actually answering calls.