(UPDATED - Claim has been removed) The Linux Gamer's response video to LTT got claimed by Fullscreen

Ashley MLP Fangirl
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,
1 hour ago, Spotty said:

You seem to be misinformed. There's a HUGE difference between a copyright claim and a takedown notice resulting in a copyright strike.

Copyright claims, which is what has happened here to The Linux Gamer are often an automatic process where Content ID detects that a portion of your copyrighted content has appeared in another video on Youtube, and will issue a copyright claim on the video. The video remains public and viewable by the viewers, however any ad revenue generated by the video may be redirected to the original copyright holder. There's no punishment for the channel when a copyright claim is made against them, they will just lose the revenue for the video.

Copyright strikes or takedown notices, which is what The Verge did, are when they manually issue a legal notice that a video is infringing on their copyright and that they demand the video be removed from the platform. The channel will then receive a copyright strike against their channel which comes with punishments for the channel, such as losing their ability to live stream or perhaps no longer being 'recommended' or promoted in the search results or feed which can severely hurt the channels traffic and views. If they are issued with multiple copyright strikes, their channel can be removed completely.

(snip) 

This is an excellent explanation of how these things work. 

I'd like to add that as long as the creator who gets the automated claim disputes it in a timely manner, there is no lost revenue during the period while it was "claimed". 

I've been down at IBM Think for the last couple of days and this thread is the first I'm hearing of this issue.. Aaaand it's already resolved. 

So, as far as I can tell, everything is working as it should...ish

We have noticed a significant uptick in copyright claims in the last couple of weeks, though, with some of them being in really really old content which suggests youtube has made some kind of change to ContentID and we've been trying to figure out how to address it.

We are generally pretty supportive of the creation of derivative works by our community and we want to make sure that they aren't being algorithmically claimed, but this change has caused other issues for us too. I woke up the other morning to a handful of claims made against Tech Quickie by LTT... Can't have that. 

I'm sure this will be resolved, but it's probably going to take some time for youtube to get their crap in order, as usual. 

16 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

there used to be a list on socialblade, but that one has been removed...

but I believe nick more than a website

a big media company

btw, it's  funny how they are joking about AT&T even if they are indirectly part of the company

LMG is not part of AT&T even indirectly. They have a business relationship where LMG basically buys a management service from Fullscreen and in return Fullscreen displays ads on their videos and handles copyright stuff.

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

1 minute ago, aakopa said:

LMG is not part of AT&T even indirectly. They have a business relationship where LMG basically buys a management service from Fullscreen and in return Fullscreen displays ads on their videos and handles copyright stuff.

you're right

I meant more in a "linked" way

A MCN to handle the Copyright stuff has value to any large channel. For LMG, it's simply an insurance premium-type of contracting. Which also probably just means Fullscreen added some part of LTT's catalog into the ContentID system.

8 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

(which is a shame because I kinda like a few nonpolitical/academic subjects on Vox's channel)

Spoiler

image.png.8fa0171488df855f25616e79aa433385.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

he gets no sympathy from me. 

On 10/1/2018 at 12:41 AM, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

I think he's over critiquing it, he complains how Linus didn't find the latest driver and had v390 (which came on 03-09-2018), he assumes he made the video like yesterday (v396 come on 23rd, he made the response video on 24th of sep). just saying. 

On 10/1/2018 at 10:20 PM, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

ok, i think this guy comes off as a jerk. 

BZswwbq.png

On 10/1/2018 at 10:44 PM, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

exactly, he made some good points but was also too picky, if he can criticize someone else's work it's also fair that other people can criticize his. // off topic , total-biscuit also did the same wrongdoings.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

BZswwbq.png

Yeah, a lot of LTT is made ahead of time. Sometimes by a month or more. Perhaps The Linux Gamer is just frustrated at the situation and it's showing, I'd have to look into him more to make a more informed opinion though.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

5 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Just curious but does the Canadian with the still-expanding youtube tech business does gets sympathy for you? Is it the awful dad jokes and endless puns that gets you to care? Or do you have any other flimsy rationalizations to waste time victim-blaming while we have shit Linus should have under control and profusely apologize for even if it was entirely on Fullscreen's end?

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i don't think he watches regularly, because people sent him the video and then he responded. if he's not a regular viewer he might not have known about FloatPlane, LTT's release schedule, etc.

also the graphics driver thing, he just said he's on 396 to give some context.

to be clear here, i disagree with him on a lot of points but on this one i can see why he would have done it this way.

10 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Yeah, a lot of LTT is made ahead of time. Sometimes by a month or more.

if he's not a regular viewer he wouldn't have known that.

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i don't think he watches regularly, because people sent him the video and then he responded. if he's not a regular viewer he might not have known about FloatPlane, LTT's release schedule, etc.

i tried explaining this to him, he's blocked me on his channel for saying what i said above.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Just now, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i tried explaining this to him, he's blocked me on his channel for saying what i said above.

he did? interesting. that's kinda rude.

like i said i disagree with him quite often.

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

if he's not a regular viewer he wouldn't have known that.

He actively ignored people who brought that up on that video, he's removed many people's comments that says the same thing, he knows he's in the wrong, did he take down the video after people informed him? no, he did not. he has a misinformed video still up. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

7 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

BZswwbq.png

Yeah, a lot of LTT is made ahead of time. Sometimes by a month or more. Perhaps The Linux Gamer is just frustrated at the situation and it's showing, I'd have to look into him more to make a more informed opinion though.

I saw some FP Videos go on YT weeks later, due to timed sensitive stuff pushing back its YT release.

Also linus has stated that they sometimes increase the backlog of videos for times where employees have planned vacations and what not. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

He actively ignored people who brought that up on that video, he's removed many people's comments that says the same thing, he knows he's in the wrong, did he take down the video after people informed him? no, he did not. he has a misinformed video still up. 

Still not a crime like perjury which is potentially what Linus did.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

what?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

like i said, you don't have to explain that to me.

the whole reason i made this topic is i believe that Fullscreen was in the wrong. and i was right. i didn't do it for him.

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

like i said, you don't have to explain that to me.

the whole reason i made this topic is i believe that Fullscreen was in the wrong. and i was right. i didn't do it for him.

and i was just trying to explain why i got no sympathy for him, nothing else. what fullscreen did was wrong nonetheless. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

when did linus lie on oath during a court hearing?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Perjury is when you purposefully lie under oath.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

1 minute ago, Razor Blade said:

oh is that what it means? lmao what has that to do with this??

She/Her

8 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

what? Fullscreen made the claim. not Linus.

on top of that the claim got resolved after The Linux Gamer disputed it.

7 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

7 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

For legal purposes that's what a DMCA claim is. Just because they've taken it back or because they might say they're sorry or they might want to claim Fullscreen doesn't represents them doesn't means it's not falsely reporting a crime when they know well one wasn't committed other than being critical (misguided as it might be) of their content.

Sorry but if all of you lost your shit when the vergue did this to Kyle probably under extremely similar circumstances (Someone or some firm legally representing them acting in an overzealous matter) Yet when Linus Media Group is (directly or indirectly as it might be) doing it to somebody else all of the discussion on this thread is just character assassination of the guy who's on the receiving end. 

This is a double standard and you're all too biased towards Linus to want to acknowledge than none of what is being discussed here is any fucking excuse for this strike.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Sorry but if all of you loss your shit when the vergue did this to Kyle probably under extremely similar circumstances (Someone or some firm legally representing them acting in an overzealous matter) Yet when Linus Media Group is (directly or indirectly as it might be) doing it to somebody else all of the discussion on this thread is just character assassination of the guy who's on the receiving end.

This is a double standard and you're all too biased towards Linus to want to acknowledge than none of what is being discussed here is any fucking excuse for this strike.

This was an automatic claim that was done by YouTube's horrible system. It's not Fullscreen or LTT's fault. It's just a bad automated system.

In Kyle's case, it was a manual claim.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

10 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

i'm not biased towards LTT at all. i don't even watch anymore.

the thing is Fullscreen claimed it. unless you can prove that Linus ordered them to, you cannot blame Linus for this.

i blamed Fullscreen. and Fullscreen only. until i see evidence that Linus was involved in the strike i will stand by that.

10 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

This was an automatic claim that was done by YouTube's horrible system. It's not Fullscreen or LTT's fault. It's just a bad automated system.

In Kyle's case, it was a manual claim.

it might have been, but in that case Fullscreen could have removed it without needing The Linux Gamer to file a dispute first.

She/Her