What does a good mouse really feel like?

Fasauceome

After seeing the announcement that Logitech is re releasing one of their legendary gaming mice, I figured it should be sooner rather than later that I get myself something newer. I have a Habit Magic Eagle, which is a $12 mouse I got for sale on Amazon because I wanted green LEDs. However, a friend of mine has a really nice Logitech mouse, I believe a G502, and when I use it, I really feel like there isn't much difference. I don't prefer heavier or lighter, and I play shooters like Overwatch so I feel like I'd be able to tell the difference if there is one.

Does it take time to really appreciate a good mouse? I've definitely grown up with crappy mice so I've not had an extended period of time using one of good quality.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I guess responsiveness and providing the DPI that you want to have it in. As long as it doesn't loose tracking when you throw it against the desk, I think a mouse is doing it's job.

Other features, such as additional buttons, Logitech's infinity-scroll-thing, and DPI shifters are nice to have IMO, but aren't necessary.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Its about how it glides throughout the mousepad.

And it also is not supposed to feel like a rock.

Won’t visit often..

Just now, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Its about how it glides throughout the mousepad.

Do some mice resist picking up hairs and stuff on the feet and bottom? My only complaint about my mouse is that I get hairs I roll over and it feels super annoying.

2 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

And it also is not supposed to feel like a rock.

I dunno, some people really like heavy mice (and I'm not opposed, even though my current mouse is light). Unless you mean functionally then yeah, i don't want a rock.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

A good mouse is kind of subjective in my opinion.

I've had a few mice that I found to be really good, but my brother really hated them.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

"good mouse" is highly subjective. While to you a G502 and your $12 mouse might not seem different, to someone else there could be a world of differences.

I despise Corsair, yet I still run my Scimitar Pro because its the best mouse I've ever seen/used. I like the look of Steel Series, most of my friends have Rival mice, but I would never buy one; they are too slow and heavy for my tastes (and I have grown too used to excessive amounts of side buttons, lmfao). The surface you use and the grip you prefer can also make a difference in how a mouse feels.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I dunno, some people really like heavy mice (and I'm not opposed, even though my current mouse is light). Unless you mean functionally then yeah, i don't want a rock.

I once put a mode on Windows that makes the cursor move slower which makes the mouse feel heavier.

I guess I'm not one of those people.

I hate heavy mice.

Won’t visit often..

For me I went from pretty mediocre mice (stuff like the IntelliMouse 2.0 and stuff you'd get with Dell/HP prebuilts) to the M40 (and later M65), and while at first I didn't really notice a whole hell of a lot, going back to them sure makes me cry a bit. Between lackluster DPI, lack of secondary buttons, and just bleh ergonomics, I really don't wanna go back to them for anything other than my XP rig.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

good mouse" is highly subjective. While to you a G502 and your $12 mouse might not seem different, to someone else there could be a world of differences.

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

A good mouse is kind of subjective in my opinion.

Well, I feel like since it's a somewhat subtle difference that I'm not sensitive to it yet. When. I upgraded from 60 to 75Hz, it didn't make any visual difference but the 25% increase in frames does a lot for reaction time. Since the difference is subconscious, I wonder if getting a mouse with at least a quality sensor and better buttons (because let's face it those would be objective improvements over my current mouse) would just overall improve the experience. My friend also has a 144Hz 1440p monitor which lends a lot more to game feel Improvements so it's not the mouse alone that I'm testing.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Well, I feel like since it's a somewhat subtle difference that I'm not sensitive to it yet. When. I upgraded from 60 to 75Hz, it didn't make any visual difference but the 25% increase in frames does a lot for reaction time. Since the difference is subconscious, I wonder if getting a mouse with at least a quality sensor and better buttons (because let's face it those would be objective improvements over my current mouse) would just overall improve the experience. My friend also has a 144Hz 1440p monitor which lends a lot more to game feel Improvements so it's not the mouse alone that I'm testing.

Everything is about compromise. Its nigh impossible to find something that perfectly fits all of your needs and expectations. Everyone is constantly having to balance the things they want, don't want, and what they need. Its hard to say what one specific, and minor, part change would do to your experience; its all up to the individual, especially in refresh rate and peripherals.

Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

In progress projects:

*GPU Test Bench*

3 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

Everything is about compromise. Its nigh impossible to find something that perfectly fits all of your needs and expectations. Everyone is constantly having to balance the things they want, don't want, and what they need. Its hard to say what one specific, and minor, part change would do to your experience; its all up to the individual, especially in refresh rate and peripherals.

Well I'm not really making any compromises now, I've just cheaped out due to apathy. If a more expensive mouse is a good investment then I'm certainly happy to make it.

Primary PC:

the biggest difference is going from a mid price mouse to a nice mouse IMO because often times those mid price mice are shitstains compared to cheap mice. second best mouse i have ever had was €12 and the best is my G502. €12 mouse had very little wander, nice software and good build while all the €40 or so mice i have tried are a cheap piece of shitty plastic and a sensor that wanders like crazy. The main upgrade is in that the mouse sensor dosnt wander, the liftoff distance isnt enormous, no sensor acceleration and how easy it is to grip and lift the mouse, at the local gaming center that just opened they have Ailienware mice that have decent sensors but they have soft touch rubber on the sides so its almost impossible to grip them, the harder you pinch them, the faster they slide out of your hand. 10/10 design lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yeah its very subjective.

For me a good mouse feels good in my small hand, have enough weight, a good tactile click and sturdy materials.

I never bought mouse online, unless i get try it in stores first.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Well I'm not really making any compromises now, I've just cheaped out due to apathy. If a more expensive mouse is a good investment then I'm certainly happy to make it.

In theory it is a good investment because the more expensive mouse will have superior hardware. But when it comes to peripherals, hardware specs don't matter as much (at least I see it that way); you could be good at a game on a crappy Dell mouse and I could be worse than you with a mouse that cost 4x as much. Its all in the individual

In progress projects:

*GPU Test Bench*

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

often times those mid price mice are shitstains compared to cheap mice

So where do you believe the MX518 falls? Its announcement in Tech News is what made me consider a good mouse in the first place. I've had the Razer deathadder in the back of my mind because it's cheap and fits my color scheme, but curious how something like that would compare.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

So where do you believe the MX518 falls? Its announcement in Tech News is what made me consider a good mouse in the first place. I've had the Razer deathadder in the back of my mind because it's cheap and fits my color scheme, but curious how something like that would compare.

Have a friend thats gone through two or three deathadders in the last two years, they dont last long. The logitech thing that was announced is probably decent, its gotten a lot of love before so its probably pretty nice

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Having a good sensor is generally recommended.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1.It must be comfortable for your hand, You can get the best gaming mouse on the market but if it doesn't suit your hand then it will be uncomfortable to use and just going to sucks

2.It must have features (that you need) 

3.It must have a good sensor that is good enough (for your needs)

The sensor on gaming mice nowadays are already super overkill especially from reputable gaming companies such as logitech,razer,etc so dont bother with it and just prioritize more on shape and features.

If u didnt notice i have a gaming mouse buying guide pinned on the peripherals section, I suggest to give it a read.

On 2/15/2019 at 1:08 AM, fasauceome said:

Does it take time to really appreciate a good mouse?

No, a good mouse is a good mouse and you will immediately know once you pick it up and use it for a bit.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

On 2/15/2019 at 1:52 AM, fasauceome said:

So where do you believe the MX518 falls? I've had the Razer deathadder in the back of my mind because it's cheap and fits my color scheme, but curious how something like that would compare.

That is a gaming mouse from 2004 its pretty outdated and its not should be compared against the deathadder although MX518 is a legend.

On 2/15/2019 at 1:56 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Have a friend thats gone through two or three deathadders in the last two years, they dont last long.

Earliest deathadder has QC issues because they use kailh switches but the chroma and the elite is fine now they use omron just like logitech

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

It's subjective. But for me the absolute most important factor is how it glides across a mouse pad.  #2 is weight, #3 is sensor and ergonomics tied.

That said, these days there is little differentiation glide between mice, so I mostly focus on weight being as low as possible weight also as a small impact on glide. I wouldn't even consider something over 90g. I currently have a Zowie FK2 and I'm looking to the final mouse in the future.

2 hours ago, Hiya! said:

No, a good mouse is a good mouse and you will immediately know once you pick it up and use it for a bit.

So then, my time with the G502 would have me believe that I can't really feel the difference.

Primary PC:

26 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

So then, my time with the G502 would have me believe that I can't really feel the difference.

Maybe? i don't know, G502 body itself isn't that great tbh even Zy said so.

Its just has a lot of features and nice button (feel and placement) also combined with infinite scroll wheel,custom weight and a great sensor.

Its a good all around gaming mouse.

But again, I don't really know what kind of differences you expect from high end gaming mouse so...

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

When I 1st time got my much better mouse than the previous cheap unknown brand, from 1000 dpi moved to 8500 dpi, the first thing I can spot is the smoothness of the cursor movement of higher dpi one, the higher dpi will track every pixel on the monitor, while lower dpi will perform like there's skipped pixel on the monitor. This is important when you want a really precise aim.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

As others have said, pretty subjective.

To me, my GSkill Ripjaws MX-780 is a really friggin good mouse, since It is a left handed configurable gaming mouse, really light, has extra buttons in really useful places, and tracks perfectly.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは