People who use macOS as their primary OS, what kind of external hard drive do you use?

People who use macOS as their primary OS, what kind of external hard drive do you use?

Or you can post your setup here if you want. :)

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

mom uses a WD my passport drive, no clue how thats working out for her. its suposed to back up stuff after you just plug it in, or thats what she was told at least, so she pluggs it in from time to time i guess

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

mom uses a WD my passport drive, no clue how thats working out for her. its suposed to back up stuff after you just plug it in, or thats what she was told at least, so she pluggs it in from time to time i guess

that's a timemachine drive. If she set it up correctly, that's how it works. :) 

When I was primarily using a macbook I used a 1tb seagate external drive and when that ran out of space I set up a NAS which is what I use now. 

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO

Just now, Lemtea said:

When I was primarily using a macbook I used a 1tb seagate external drive and when that ran out of space I set up a NAS which is what I use now. 

whats the model of that NAS??

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

whats the model of that NAS??

I actually built it myself with some parts I had lying around and it is running xpenology which essentially means it runs the synology NAS OS.

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO

Just now, Lemtea said:

I actually built it myself with some parts I had lying around and it is running xpenology which essentially means it runs the synology NAS OS.

nice

The SSD of my imacs fusion drive is slowly dying, so I defused it...I now boot from an external SSD (I think corsair) via usb3, and use the internal hdd for extra storage.  And I use a variety of drives, mainly WD, but some seagate and toshiba for various purposes, most thru USB3, but a few thru Firewire800

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Just now, Video Beagle said:

The SSD of my imacs fusion drive is slowly dying, so I defused it...I now boot from an external SSD (I think corsair) via usb3, and use the internal hdd for extra storage.  And I use a variety of drives, mainly WD, but some seagate and toshiba for various purposes, most thru USB3, but a few thru Firewire800

imac which year?

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

imac which year?

2012 27" i7

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

I had multiple 1-2TB drives laying around from my windows days and bought NTFS for Mac to move all music and code I made to a new drive I bought, and then reformatted them and I use one of them as a Time Machine drive nowadays. I do however plan on migrating all to a file server soon so the headache might begin again soon.

I went the NAS route as well for time machine backups and random other stuff. I can't bring it with me to work so it's slightly less ideal than a thunderbolt drive, but gets the job done I suppose as it's predominantly media that I wouldn't need.

Synology DS416.

16 hours ago, drppr said:

I had multiple 1-2TB drives laying around from my windows days and bought NTFS for Mac to move all music and code I made to a new drive I bought, and then reformatted them and I use one of them as a Time Machine drive nowadays. I do however plan on migrating all to a file server soon so the headache might begin again soon.

i still find that the most reliable way of storing things are good old hard drive plug and play.

Promise PegasusR6: 12TB RAID-5

Pegasus2 R2+: 8TB RAID-0 (as a Time machine backup for the Macbook Pro and the above RAID)

Apple 2021 M1 Max MacBook Pro | Apple 2021 M2 MacBook Air

Intel Hades Canyon NUC - i7-8809G, 3.10 GHz | 32 GB RAM | 512 GB + 1TB Samsung 970 EVO | Radeon Vega GH | MSI Silent Armor 1060-6GB in Sonnet eGPU. 

Intel Serpent Canyon NUC - i7-12700 | 32GB RAM 

MSI MAG B660M MORTAR | Intel i5-12600K | EVGA 3080 Ti | 64GB Corsair Dominator | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD | 4TB Samsung 870 EVO | 2TB WD Blue SATA SSD

On 2/14/2019 at 9:50 AM, mrchow19910319 said:

Or you can post your setup here if you want. :)

I always use a 4 TB Western Digital NAS to put my files on.

3 hours ago, Windows is broken said:

I always use a 4 TB Western Digital NAS to put my files on.

do you think that those thunderbolt drives are worth it??

I always felt that those drives are way too overpriced.

On 2/20/2019 at 1:13 PM, mrchow19910319 said:

do you think that those thunderbolt drives are worth it??

I always felt that those drives are way too overpriced.

Yes,  they are a bit overpriced, but if you buy NAS you get more storage for less money than a Thunderbolt device.

I think you can buy better a NAS than a Thunderbolt device.