Youtube forced content creator Rob Dyke to stop using his real name as it was a slur

Syntaxvgm

Rob Dyke, his real name, had video demonetized as "Dyke" is a slur. Unresponsive support as typical, Rob Dyke legally changed his name to Rob Gavagan, choosing on old Irish family name. 

He of course wasn't forced to change his actual name (just stop using it) but he felt it might be time to change his name anyway. 

"I found out that my videos weren't demonized as quickly, or at all, if I removed my name from the description."

I mean wow. It's not the first time this sort of thing has happened. I remember XBL banning people who's surname contained any form of  "gay" and people living in "Fort Gay" 

image.png.aa9737a58f6016e7cbe93a9a1166023a.png

image.png.79e8dcc167daad1b3dbc33d95255a9a1.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, imreloadin said:

Is anyone really surprised by shit like this anymore? Just YouTube being YouTube at this point...

Monopoly. 

No one has the money to burn to truly compete with them. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Let's just hope Dick Van Dyke doesn't decide to get into the YouTube vlogging craze.

Celebs get special treatment and exemption from rules if money is there a la Jimmy Fallon 

muh specs 

All parts black

Van Dyke is a pretty common last name, not sure what YouTube is up to, maybe start addressing the actual content of the videos ??

1 minute ago, Chett_Manly said:

YouTube is run by people who do not understand context and love abusing their power and feigning offense. It's pathetic. Luckily I can still see as many dykes as I want on Google!

image.png

Dyke is an alternate spelling. I see "Dike" mostly. We're not allowed alternate spellings. 

muh specs 

All parts black

The real question is: what isn't a slur or fucking "offensive" in 201 012345678 9?? 

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

...this is a slippery slope these P.C. snowflakes at YouTube are walking here. Next thing you know the only videos allowed are dog videos because another name for 'cat' is 'pussy' and they don't want to be associated with 'dirty words' like that.

In reality tho, how hard would it be for YouTube/Google to put together a team of people (REAL people, not AI) that their sole job is to look at false claims and strikes against channels, or at bare minimum, give people that get a strike the option to contact this team for review... Too many of these issues from YouTube these days. They are gonna shot themselves in the foot they keep their current practices up.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

The real question is: what isn't a slur or fucking "offensive" in 201 012345678 9?? 

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Political correctness at its finest. If he was referring to the word "dyke" in an offensive manner I could understand, but all this because it's his last name?

YouTube has become nothing more than a joke now. 

1 minute ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

...this is a slippery slope these P.C. snowflakes at YouTube are walking here. Next thing you know the only videos allowed are dog videos because another name for 'cat' is 'pussy' and they don't want to be associated with 'dirty words' like that.

In reality tho, how hard would it be for YouTube/Google to put together a team of people (REAL people, not AI) that their sole job is to look at false claims and strikes against channels, or at bare minimum, give people that get a strike the option to contact this team for review... Too many of these issues from YouTube these days. They are gonna shot themselves in the foot they keep their current practices up.

Nah ya'll gotta remember, this was automated and they simply just don't give a fuck. They aren't actively knowingly targeting his name, they just won't ever solve these problems. 

muh specs 

All parts black

9 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Van Dyke is a pretty common last name, not sure what YouTube is up to, maybe start addressing the actual content of the videos ??

they are. They can detect stuff like Dyke said verbally to and demonetize for that too. 

muh specs 

All parts black

1 minute ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

normally i hate the term "snowflakes"  but the current trend in P.C. culture is getting seriously ridiculous. people are going out of their way to get offended by everything these days.

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Nah ya'll gotta remember, this was automated and they simply just don't give a fuck. They aren't actively knowingly targeting his name, they just won't ever solve these problems. 

This is very important to remember. there is an automated system looking for keywords and automatically striking the video. by the time somebody has manually reviewed it, theyve already lost money to views that they wont get back.

they need to dial back the automated system a lot

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

No, but someone built that system and put that criteria in it and it was approved by someone (or team) at YouTube. And they don't have a system in place to counter or appeal it. I understand they don't care, as long as it appeases the overly sensitive culture of advertisers, they are happy. Doesn't make it any less stupid.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

Interesting that if you search "dyke" on YouTube, you first get Rob Gavagan and then the rest are about the slang version of dyke, with some Dick Van Dyke in the middle.

Spoiler

189795890_RobDyke.PNG.61288cd57a118b92a6963fc3998528a8.PNG

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

they are. They can detect stuff like Dyke said verbally to and demonetize for that too. 

I mean for like context and format. 

4 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I mean for like context and format. 

They sure do, they bury anything that isn't ad friendly clickbait garbage 

They also bury anything with certain right wing or extreme right topics. 
All of these have been found to be somewhat triggered by audio, they same tech they use for auto closed captions. 

muh specs 

All parts black

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

They sure do, they bury anything that isn't ad friendly clickbait garbage 

They also bury anything with certain right wing or extreme right topics. 
All of these have been found to be somewhat triggered by audio, they same tech they use for auto closed captions. 

I mean someone with common sense going over the video properly, not the use of a bot.

11 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I mean someone with common sense going over the video properly, not the use of a bot.

They're working on a bot with common sense. They will give the bot too much stuff to review to use it though, facebook style. 

muh specs 

All parts black

@Syntaxvgm i posted this in a thread last month but not as detailed. 

On 1/31/2019 at 5:46 PM, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

youtube did eventually step in, but it never really does unless your post gets viral, else you're screwed.

you would think that's the end of it , 

Bonus

Reveal hidden contents

and here's someone WHO HAS the license to use the music and there's no way of adding that license to his channel somewhere where he can get whitelisted and so he has to dispute every video as it still gets a copyright strike claim by a 3rd party even though he has the license, he has to mail the original creator everytime to get the video whitelisted, as even the original creator has no way to whitelist an channel as a whole, 

so he ends up getting abused by a 3rd party who very well knows they're gonna make money before before removing the strike or bluffing as no one would go to a court to settle this every time. 
so he was forced to change his outro song despite having all the necessary proof of license. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Any word is a slur if used as an insulting way. "you throw like a girl." Is "girl" a slur?
This is stupid. There are a few last names that are ""slurs"". "Hicks" is another one I know of.

39 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Monopoly.

youtube is not a monoply.

39 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

No one has the money to burn to truly compete with them. 

twitter, facebook, tumblr, and to a lesser degree, tik tok already do.

I wonder what would happen if we made "youtube" a common slang term for an orgy of disabled men pretending to be girls?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

@Syntaxvgm i posted this in a thread last month but not as detailed. 

It was part of the thread which was a compilation of what was wrong with youtube, not the subject.  So I was not able to find it. 

muh specs 

All parts black