Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which Mini ITX Motherboards support USB C Video Output?

Hello there.

Not long ago I create a forum post inquiring as to which laptop to buy for 3D work but then re-evaluated my options and decided that it would be far more economical to go with a Node 202 build and a Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 for the same price (using an Old video card of mine instead of buying a new one)! To save on a tangle of wires when hot-desking I am hoping to run the Cintiq off of USB C video output. The problem is that I have no idea which Mini ITX motherboards support this feature, much less the ability to get the video output from the dedicated GPU itself!!!

The only one I can find is the ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157854 but I would much prefer an AMD system due to the cheaper price of the motherboard and the future release support. My current plan is the get a cheap Ryzen 3 2200g right now then upgrade to their highest performing 65w CPU this summer with their next release. I might even get a 95w CPU if the performance is right, despite the risk of throttling. The stick in the mud of course is the video output. I cannot find an AMD Mini ITX motherboard with this feature and if no AMD motherboard supports it then hello cable jungle, again. 

Thanks!

P.S. I feel like there are some details I should be adding or asking but I cannot think of them off the top of my head so let me know if there is anything else I need to fill you in on. 

I'm fairly certain the answer is no, there are no Ryzen motherboards with USB-C video output. Although you can use a Displayport to Mini Displayport cable for the Wacom Cintiq Pro 16. You will however need an extra separate USB cable

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

14 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

I'm fairly certain the answer is no, there are no Ryzen motherboards with USB-C video output. Although you can use a Displayport to Mini Displayport cable for the Wacom Cintiq Pro 16. You will however need an extra separate USB cable

That is what I feared. Thanks for the heads up.