This Phone lasts an ENTIRE WEEK

jakkuh_t
1 minute ago, xnamkcor said:

I want three things from a phone.

1) Two batteries with different voltages. Or a battery dedicated to the screen.

I'm curious why you would want this?

Electronics already have the capability of changing (or "stepping") voltage, so if the power comes in at, say 5V, this can be adapted as needed (Eg: I highly doubt the SoC takes 5V - probably more like 1V or 1.2V).

Second, why have a battery dedicated to the screen? You need the entire device to function for any of it to function. If the screen battery died before the main battery, you'd be in the same situation with a regular phone in which the only battery dies. Even if the processor, etc, are still functioning, it would be mostly unusable. It would be even worse if the main battery died while the screen battery still had juice.

2) Heatsink fins on the back for extra grip and cooling options.

Heatsink fins? On the back?

You realize by their very definition, heatsink fins are designed to draw heat away from the core, and "sink" them into the fins, which is then radiated away via thermal energy?

In essence, putting heatsink fins on your phone would essentially make that part of the phone difficult or even dangerous to touch. In fact, some laptops actually have this problem, where the heat exhaust is poorly designed, and blows hot air (pulled off of the heatsink fins) onto the user.

With something like a phone, you have two options:

1. Minimize heat to begin with by using lower power components

2. Design the phone so that heat is spread evenly across the entire device, to minimize how hot any individual area is.

3) Hardware buttons(Back, Home, Recent Apps, and Menu(the supposedly deprecated button that still serves a function in some apps))

With you on the third option.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Holy crap, YES! The CPU power on this is WEAK though! Less performance than a Motor G7, or a Snapdragon 820..Needs the performance of an 835 to be golden.. I agree. 7000mAh would be a good compromise, WITH a setting to limit charging to 80% so the battery would last maybe a good 5 years or more before degrading.

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Heatsink fins? On the back?

I was gonna put them on the front, but then I'd have to put the screen on the back.

Electronics already have the capability of changing (or "stepping") voltage, so if the power comes in at, say 5V, this can be adapted as needed (Eg: I highly doubt the SoC takes 5V - probably more like 1V or 1.2V).

With a byproduct of heat.

You realize by their very definition, heatsink fins are designed to draw heat away from the core, and "sink" them into the fins, which is then radiated away via thermal energy?

In essence, putting heatsink fins on your phone would essentially make that part of the phone difficult or even dangerous to touch. In fact, some laptops actually have this problem, where the heat exhaust is poorly designed, and blows hot air (pulled off of the heatsink fins) onto the user.

If you're that picky about touching hot things, you could just add a part that covers the fins.

My iPhone lasted a week once

6 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

I was gonna put them on the front, but then I'd have to put the screen on the back.

With a byproduct of heat.

If you're that picky about touching hot things, you could just add a part that covers the fins.

Voltage steppers do generate heat due to inefficiencies. You know what also does that? Battery packs. You're just trading one inefficiency for another.

The vast majority of heat generated by a mobile phone comes from one of two things:

1. The battery - especially during charging

2. The SoC itself

As for the rest of your post, I can only assume truly masterful trolling.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

35 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Voltage steppers do generate heat due to inefficiencies. You know what also does that? Battery packs. You're just trading one inefficiency for another.

The vast majority of heat generated by a mobile phone comes from one of two things:

1. The battery - especially during charging

2. The SoC itself

As for the rest of your post, I can only assume truly masterful trolling.

Do two battery packs produce more heat than one?

Lookin' forward to the Moto G7 Power.  5,000 mAh battery for less mony than the Moto G7... be sure to grab a review unit, @LinusTech!  (A future feature on 
"Why the Advertiser Friendly Content Are People Buying This," if nothing else.)  

Most people wont be able to use one hand for the phone

-Linus' scripter (it was something along the lines of this)

I'm glad I use 2 hands to use a phone... wait

✨FNIGE✨

1 hour ago, xnamkcor said:

Do two battery packs produce more heat than one?

Depends on a few factors. If the two separate battery packs contain identical cells in identical numbers that combined, made up the same cell numbers and cell types of a single larger battery?

Likely no. They would produce similar heat as one larger battery. 

But there really isnt much advantage to having separate batteries, unless it’s a design decision to accommodate an odd shape, for example. 

6 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Can you do airplane mode and Wifi on? That should be the same as disabling network/call. Though I agree, IIRC my older phones did have options to turn 3g/4g/etc on and off independently to the phone carrier/call handling.

yeah I can do Airplane Mode then turn Wifi on but it's not the same, back then I could disable just the 4G and still have 3G which used less power while I was out walking around or driving or disable data (3G and 4G radios) completely because Voice was still operated off of the old 2G (1x on the Verizon phones) network that stayed functioning, if you flip on Airplane mode then enable wifi you are limited to wifi networks for still having a functioning phone (via the Wifi Calling support of modern phones, which by the way I LOVE, because cell service at the office is sh*t). I used to be the king of Battery Life, I've got an old Samsung Tab 2 7" (3113 something or the other model number) that I used to use to play music in my car (headphone jack out to aux in on car stereo, with the volume on the tablet maxxed out) and even using it everyday (with 5 days a week being like a 30 minute drive each way to work) and not using it for anything else my charging cycles where literally MONTHS apart, once I got on the final ROM I flashed on that thing I never went less then I think 34 days on a charge regularly averaging in the low 40's and even a few times hitting 46-47 days, I could look at the battery life percentage when I got home each night and it would never be more then 1% less the next day getting in the car to go to work and use either 1 or 2% battery during my day, the screen off time on that thing is insane, I retired it shortly after I got my S9+, upgraded the head unit in my truck and started streaming everything on Pandora, I wanna say my record on the Razr Maxx was 10 days between a charge, but that took disabling the 3G/4G radios and basically not touching the phone, the cool thing about being able to disable the radios was being able to get solid numbers on how much battery each used, I did a test once where I tested how many hours of streaming Netflix I could do on Wifi (with the 3G/4G disabled), then with Wifi off and on 4G then with 4G disabled and purely 3G, Wifi was somewhere around DOUBLE that of 4G and 3G was about half in the middle and at the end of that test I lost ALL desire to ever spend any real length of time holding a phone to watch video (like so many people do today) and so unless I'm just somewhere where I don't have my laptop i'm streaming on it over my phone.

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Side note: The RAM featured in the ad? Hoooooooooooooooooly fuck. That is some atrociously ugly RAM. Would not touch that with a 10 foot pole.

that shit is gorgeous, just wished they had a standard black heat spreader variant but with that RGB "crystal" Diffuser, I will one day own a kit of that for my gaming rig, provided next gen Ryzen comes out swinging strong enough to justify it later this year. Jay from Jayz2cents used it in a recent white and gold build.

If anybody reputable is going to the merge a large capacity battery with mid-high range hardware, it'll be HMD Global.

8 hours ago, Computernaut said:

1. I actually like the way it looks.

2. I agree that this is overkill, but something in the 7,000-8,000 mAh range would make sense.

3. Why don't we just say 4 Ah instead of 4000 mAh.

Mostly from the days when batteries had under 1000 mAh.

13 hours ago, aezakmi said:

only true legends will remember how long the battery on this bad boy lasted

41wGEmM0S4L._SY300_QL70_.jpg&f=1

Nokia 1100 was my first phone! :D

Intel Core i9-10900X, Asus TUF X299 Mark 1, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2TB SN570, 8TB HDD, DC Assassin III, Meshify 2

Old PC: Intel Xeon X5670 6c/12t @ 4.40GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 500GB, 250GB & 120GB SSD, 2x 4TB & 2x 2TB HDD, Fractal Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon E5-2690 8c/16t @ 3.3-3.8GHz, ThinkStation S30 (C602/X79), 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 1TB Crucial MX500

PC 3: Intel Core i7-3770 4c/8t @ 4.22-4.43GHz, Asus P8Z77-V LK, 16GB DDR3 1648MHz, Asus RX 470 Strix, 1TB & 250GB Crucial MX500 and 3x 500GB HDD

Laptop: ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 4c/8t @ 2.7-3.7GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, GeForce GT 730M (GPU: 1006MHz MEM: 1151MHz), 2TB SSD, 14" 1080p IPS, 100Wh battery

Laptop 2: ThinkPad T450, Intel Core i7-5600U 2c/4t @ 2.6-3.2GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Intel HD 5500, 250GB SSD, 14" 900p TN, 24Wh + 72Wh batteries

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB + 256GB card Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

Some of the specs of these systems might not be up to date

PC 4: Intel Xeon X5675 6c/12t @ 3.07-3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240GB & 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD

PC 5: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120GB SSD, 2TB, 1TB and 500GB HDD

PC 6: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 120GB SSD and 500GB HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 240GB SSD and 3TB HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2GB DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32GB SSD and 80GB HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x 6-core AMD Opteron 2419EE, HP XW9400, 32GB DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

Laptop: Latitude 3380, Intel Pentium Gold 4415U 2c/4t @ 2.3GHz, 8GB DDR4, Intel HD 610, 120GB SSD, 13.3" 768p TN, 56Wh battery

33 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

probably the same reason why articles shouldn't mix orders of magnitude when writing? o_o to drive the point of "1.1 billion and 2.3 million aren't the same size"

What? You don't tell people you're 8 Decimeters tall?

I think a 6k to 8k would fit the current size profiles of phones that most people like while giving that extra oomph QoL. 

I don't think this would be good as a primary phone, but really for the price point it would be great as a secondary phone.  If you go on long business trips where you don't know how often you can charge devices, or camping trips, or even a long road trip or vacation.  This would be easy to swap your sim into, or buy a local sim where your traveling, then you don't need to worry about battery life along with if it gets wrecked, lost, or stolen your not out your primary device or a lot of money.

Minor criticism for the LMG writing staff:

GLONASS is the Russian version of GPS. Both provide worldwide coverage; GLONASS does not just work "over there". Neither service is notably better than the other. What is notable is a device which supports GPS+GLONASS, thus combining the networks together and essentially doubling the number of satellites used to determine position. However this has been standard in mobile devices since 2011 when Russia opened access to GLONASS.

Perhaps a good topic for techquickie?

1 hour ago, harryk said:

Minor criticism for the LMG writing staff:

GLONASS is the Russian version of GPS. Both provide worldwide coverage; GLONASS does not just work "over there". Neither service is notably better than the other. What is notable is a device which supports GPS+GLONASS, thus combining the networks together and essentially doubling the number of satellites used to determine position. However this has been standard in mobile devices since 2011 when Russia opened access to GLONASS.

Perhaps a good topic for techquickie?

How many GPS satellites do you have access to in Russia?

26 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

How many GPS satellites do you have access to in Russia?

All of them. GPS satellites are essentially clocks in orbit and are continuously broadcasting radio signals with the current time. Anyone can build a receiver and pick up these signals, you just have to know how to decode them which has been public knowledge for decades now.

6 minutes ago, harryk said:

All of them. GPS satellites are essentially clocks in orbit and are continuously broadcasting radio signals with the current time. Anyone can build a receiver and pick up these signals, you just have to know how to decode them which has been public knowledge for decades now.

There are no geosynchronous GPS satellites not above Russia? And none of them don't go above Russia? What country invented GLONASS? What country mostly uses GLONASS?

19 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

There are no geosynchronous GPS satellites not above Russia? And none of them don't go above Russia? What country invented GLONASS? What country mostly uses GLONASS?

Neither GPS nor GLONASS satellites are in geostationary orbits. Even though they are moving they are arranged such that at any point in time there are at least 6 GPS and 4 GLONASS satellites visible from any point on Earth. As for users, while Russia created GLONASS it has only recently been made publicly available for civilian use whereas GPS has been available since the 1980's. Thus consumer GPS devices far predate and far outnumber GLONASS devices. In fact you'll have a hard time finding a GLONASS only device that isn't made for the Russian or associated militaries. 

4 minutes ago, harryk said:

Neither GPS nor GLONASS satellites are in geostationary orbits. Even though they are moving they are arranged such that at any point in time there are at least 6 GPS and 4 GLONASS satellites visible from any point on Earth. As for users, while Russia created GLONASS it has only recently been made publicly available for civilian use whereas GPS has been available since the 1980's. Thus consumer GPS devices far predate and far outnumber GLONASS devices. In fact you'll have a hard time finding a GLONASS only device that isn't made for the Russian or associated militaries. 

Did Russia use GPS before GLONASS was deployed or invented? Why did Russia invent GLONASS?