Win10: Administrator account, but no administrator rights?

Senzelian

Hey everyone,

I have a weird issue since I reinstalled Windows 10 a couple of days ago.

For example, I try to start Teamspeak 3, but an error message appears telling me, that it can't write to the config file, which is needed to change settings.

This error message disappears as soon as I start it with administrator rights, which is weird since I'm already an administrator. (I only have one Windows account.)

Another example was, that I wasn't able to uninstall a program without administrator rights. Again, the only account on this computer is mine, which is a admin account.

I already tried to disable the "read only" checkmark on my files folder, but that didn't help either.

I shouldn't need to choose "run as admin" everytime I want to make a change to my system.

Any ideas?

Just now, kendoka said:

Have you checked your permissions, even if it's the only account...?

For Teamspeak I enabled all permissions for all accounts. That sadly didn't change anything.
Is there another setting that I should look into?

Yea, try right click>properties>security>permissions.

Even though you're an Admin doesn't mean you can edit everything. I have to do this when I'm changing my hosts file around.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

I just noticed that I not only have to change the permissions for the file, but also for the folder.
That's interesting.

I guess I have to do this now, because I installed the progrrams on my C drive and not my D drive anymore.

Pretty weird.

Since Windows 8, you're no longer allowed to write to the root of the C drive without being prompted about permissions. This is by design. Store programs in a subfolder like Program Files, or Software.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Since Windows 8, you're no longer allowed to write to the root of the C drive without being prompted about permissions. This is by design. Store programs in a subfolder like Program Files, or Software.

They are stored in "Programs" or "Programs (x86)", but even on those I still need to grant permissions separately.