I7 9700k running extremly hot! (100 degrees)

zevy03

Hello everyone.

I recently build my computer (1 week ago). And i noticed that my temps are extremly high!

My build:

cryorig H7

gigabyte z390 gaming x

msi rtx 2080 gaming trio x

corsair vengeance 2x8 300mhz

gigabyte g750h

nzxt h500i

samsung 860 evo 500gb 

seagate barracuda 2tb

If i were playing rainbow six siege terrorist hunt my temp were in the high 80 (max 89)

And when i did a prime95 test (the most extreme one) i would hit 100 degrees on some cores and other cores would hit 98.

My cpu fan was running at a 100% and my case was open so there is no problem in air flow. 

Can somone pls help me?

Greetings Zevy03

Sorrry for my bad english im from the netherlands and im 15 years old.

Chances are you have the cooler improperly mounted. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

goedemorgen

I would suggest cleaning the cpu, reapply thermal paste and try again. this seems like a cooler seating problem, or a bad application of thermal paste

2 minutes ago, zevy03 said:

cryorig H7

gigabyte z390 gaming x

it is a hot chip, is the cooler fins hot?

I already remounted the cooler and reapplied thermal paste. sorry i didnt mention that

Is it that i dont have good thermal paste mayby im using the standard one that comes with the cryorig?

The cooler fins are very hot. When i dont remove the glas panel the whole glas is becoming a little bit hot.

2 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

I would expect those temps with an H7.

The H7 is a good cooler, definitely should be getting much better results than that. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, zevy03 said:

The cooler fins are very hot. When i dont remove the glas panel the whole glas is becoming a little bit hot.

if thats the case, then sounds like you dont have enough air flow in the case. Try turning up the RPM on the case fans to increase air flow. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

All 3 case fans are at 100% cpy cooler% but stil when i remove glas in prime95 cpu hits 100degrees. Im not home now so i cant test things but on my way back i will pick up some new thermal paste and reapply just to be save. Thankyou for al the replies!!

2 minutes ago, zevy03 said:

All 3 case fans are at 100% cpy cooler% but stil when i remove glas in prime95 cpu hits 100degrees.

do you feel "strong" wind blowing through the cooler?

btw, is the chip overclocked intentionally /un-intentionally ?

Yes i can feel the wind at the other end of the cooler. I didnt change a thing al all for the cpu. I only changed the ram speed to 3000mhz.

What voltages are you using for cpu?

And how are your case fans set? Ive seen people do stupid stuff with rgb fans.

My voltage is automated i didnt change it. i have 2 outake fans and 1 intake. Is it worth a shot that i wil undervolt?

1 minute ago, zevy03 said:

My voltage is automated i didnt change it. i have 2 outake fans and 1 intake. Is it worth a shot that i wil undervolt?

Some motherboards have stupid presets. Download cpuz or hwmonitor and check what that board is pushing on default.

I have cpu z but the voltage is uncorrect i thing i i watch under the cpu tab, somone says i need to watch under mobo tab?

Ok when im home i will let you know asap. Thx for the replay and the tip

Greetings zevy

Im just got the testing done

max core voltage that i have seen is 1.308.

I think this is way to high becuase before this pc i had a 7600k overclocked to 5ghz with 1.37

what is good core voltage to start testing with?

8 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

The H7 is a good cooler, definitely should be getting much better results than that. 

The H7 is a small 3 heat pipe cooler, comparable to a Hyper 212, it's also only a 150w tdp and an overclocked 9700k can draw almost 200w.

8 hours ago, zevy03 said:

i have 2 outake fans and 1 intake.

I would switch that to 2 x intake and 1 out, positive air pressure in most cases is better when temperatures are a worry.

What are the ambient temperatures in your room?

3 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

The H7 is a small 3 heat pipe cooler, comparable to a Hyper 212, it's also only a 150w tdp and an overclocked 9700k can draw almost 200w.

I would switch that to 2 x intake and 1 out, positive air pressure in most cases is better when temperatures are a worry.

What are the ambient temperatures in your room?

I had a HAF932 case and it had a 240 in a another on the front of a smaller size, a 120 out next to the cpu and a 240 pulling out.

You need fresh air in, cooler air, it will create a natural rize of warm air which the one fan will help evacuate

9 minutes ago, BB TECH said:

You need fresh air in, cooler air, it will create a natural rize of warm air which the one fan will help evacuate

Isn't that what i suggested?   Op has 1 intake fan and 2 exhaust, he may be better served with 2 intake and 1 exhaust.

35 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

Isn't that what i suggested?   Op has 1 intake fan and 2 exhaust, he may be better served with 2 intake and 1 exhaust.

yes . i was just relating an example. Of which was agreeing with your statement.

4 hours ago, zevy03 said:

Im just got the testing done

max core voltage that i have seen is 1.308.

I think this is way to high becuase before this pc i had a 7600k overclocked to 5ghz with 1.37

what is good core voltage to start testing with?

That might be normal. Like @glenalz81 said, H7 is a small cooler for 9700K. Its fine on lower tdp, but if you simplify it a bit 9700K has two 7600K:s in it. So it also needs a better cooler if you do not limit it to 95W.

You could try to under volt it a bit. Put all cores to 4,5GHz with 1.2V. If stable raise to 4,6GHz etc or lower voltage if you just want it to run cooler. When unstable undo what you did. Plenty of tutorials out there to watch or read if you dont know what youre doing.

prime 95 is kinda dumb for testing, even with the beefier of coolers you'll get 100C 

anyway, 89C (on cores) unfortunately is normal for that CPU just like it was for the 8th and 7th gen chips, you could use a better paste like the MX4 or Arctic Silver 5 but it'll only drop a few degrees, to 85 or so

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB