I need help. I need a camera.

Go to solution Solved by cc143,

Well if you are looking for an overall good piece of kit for this sort of thing, a Panasonic G7 coupled with a fast standard prime should be good enough for interviews. Maybe a go pro for a different angle, and a 24-120 equivalent for estabishing shots etc. I think you'd be ok with that, but it will require work on your part with lighting and focus etc. 

Now, there are other options, For instance a used a7sii might be a better option, coupled with their cheap 50mm 1.8, but overall it would cost more than the panasonic. 

The best you can do probably is a fuji xt3 with the kit lens and a 35mm f/2 or just get a cheap manual focus prime like a 50/85/100mm and adapt it. Another possible option is a used 60mm f/2.4 Macro, which will be great for interviews and maybe shots of stuff of his etc. 

Hey guys,

I need help. I don't know what to buy. I need a camera to make a biography documentary for my father. He died in 2017 and I want to make a documentary about him and what he did for the Romanian music culture and for the city. I want to buy the camera from Amazon but if someone suggests a better site I don't mind...

The budget is 2000$. I want something good, I know that some camera only sell the body for 2000$ with no lens, so I need some lens in this price too.

I looked at many videos to see what is the best but there are so many options. ?

I have some a tripod and some stabilization equipment for handheld cameras. Not the best but they will do.

So, what is the best camera for a biography documentary I can get for 2000$ ?

If possible I would like something in 4k, so I can edit if needed.

What sort of knowledge do you have around cameras and how to work them? What sort of shots are you going to get? What about audio recording equipment?

Spending 2000$ on a camera and lens may not guarantee the best results if you don't know how to use it. You may be better off paying some film graduate to film it instead.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

4 hours ago, cc143 said:

What sort of knowledge do you have around cameras and how to work them? What sort of shots are you going to get? What about audio recording equipment?

Spending 2000$ on a camera and lens may not guarantee the best results if you don't know how to use it. You may be better off paying some film graduate to film it instead.

agreed , you also need some solid audio, especially if the film your making is about a musician. do you already have audio. sounds like it will be an interesting film would love to see it when your done too!

Don't Judge my spelling I'm dyslexic 

8 hours ago, cc143 said:

I know how to work a camera, I've been taking courses on it. And I had a sony nex vg 10 but I dont have it anymore. I am not sure what is the word in English ( if there is a specific term for it ) but i will take interviews, I will add clips from different tv channels where he appeared, filming some his home, his resting place, talk about "Cenaclul Flacăra" and stuff like that. And on audio, I have enough equipment. I taked with someone and they told me they will get me professional audio equipment. So I am ok on that part. And they said something about cameras, but...... Thise cameras are old and not worth it. 

15 minutes ago, George_Bud said:

I will add clips from different tv channels where he appeared

I hope you got there permission to do so!

From AT. :x

Well if you are looking for an overall good piece of kit for this sort of thing, a Panasonic G7 coupled with a fast standard prime should be good enough for interviews. Maybe a go pro for a different angle, and a 24-120 equivalent for estabishing shots etc. I think you'd be ok with that, but it will require work on your part with lighting and focus etc. 

Now, there are other options, For instance a used a7sii might be a better option, coupled with their cheap 50mm 1.8, but overall it would cost more than the panasonic. 

The best you can do probably is a fuji xt3 with the kit lens and a 35mm f/2 or just get a cheap manual focus prime like a 50/85/100mm and adapt it. Another possible option is a used 60mm f/2.4 Macro, which will be great for interviews and maybe shots of stuff of his etc. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/