Spotify banning ad blockers

dylanthompson2

Spotify is going to start banning ad blockers on march 1st in their new terms of service.

I think that is a big deal because there are 170 million spotify users.

In March of 2018 2 million spotify users use ad blockers that's 2% of their users. Spotify started disabling those accounts.

After it was reported last March that 2 million users (about 2 percent of free Spotify users) were dodging ads with modded apps and accounts, Spotify began cracking down by disabling accounts when the company detected abnormal activity.

I also use Spotify and an ad blocker on my PC. I don't agree with the new terms of service for that reason.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/7/18215845/spotify-ad-blockers-terms-of-service

Original article from The Verge

Also how many people think this is fair.

2 minutes ago, dylanthompson2 said:

Also how many people think this is fair.

Its fair to Spotify, they rely on adds for revenue.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1. using an ad blocker on spotify is stupid as hell. 

2. they are a private company and have the right to ban you if you use adblock

3. spotify has a paid model called spotify premium. if you don't want ads you can buy that. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Its fair to Spotify, they rely on adds for revenue.

imagine if youtube blocked users for using ad blockers.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Just now, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Didn't say I supported it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Disabling accounts seems like it's going a bit far, but if the only way to block ads is using a modded client then I get it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i generally don't use adblock on YouTube (except late at night because of horror movie ads and i get scared easily) and if they did this i would just get youtube premium or whatever it's called. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

there is one. buy spotify premium. *poof* ads gone. 

I already use it. :P Just meant the peeps who didn't want to pay.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

No shit they will ban people for that, surprised they waited so long

If you think its okay to use adblocker there then you've thought wrong, that's no different from piracy if you want to get down to the technical terms of their service

Yeah, Spotify has already been in hot water for their use of music in free or ad-supported services. I think I recall Taylor Swift wanted to boycott the platform because she didn't like Spotify playing her music for free.

Just now, firelighter487 said:

if they don't wanna pay to get premium then they will have to accept they have to either view ads or stop using spotify. simple. 

I don't use Spotify myself so I could be way off here but in most cases, on other sites, the risk of getting malware has gone up because they don't screen ads and just let anything and everything on. If Spotify operates in a similar manner I can see why people want to use them.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I've never used Spotify.  The new Firefox update is amazing.  It automatically mutes all video regardless what it is.

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

Yeah, the moment US wireless carriers stop their ludicrous overcharging of data is the moment I'll consider stopping wipespread use of adblockers.

Until then, companies can pretty much f off. I pay for floatplane and similar stuff, but the data cost alone for adds is insane. Wasting 10% of my time on youtube watching adds, even with skips basically negates the point of the platform imo. If I wanted add laden free service I'd watch OTA or listen to the radio.

https://www.businessinsider.com/enders-analysis-ad-blocker-study-finds-ads-take-up-79-of-mobile-data-transfer-2016-3

Oh, also add blocking is ludicrously safer surfing. So have fun with it. I'm cool without spotify. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Arent' they trying to update chrome to make ad blockers useless?

yes and no. I imagine what they're trying to do is block stupid intrusive ads themselves, and force most normies to see no intrusive ads to save the ad based revenue model as they are a big dealer in that. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I can't imagine how would they know, I mean, do they detect this through connectivity tests to the advertiser domains?

Because that could lead to a lot of false positives in case of a weak connection, I would rather assume they just detect common programs used for that, in either cases this could be still totally exploitable

Why don't they just make their app not working until an advertisement is shown?

Just now, Bcat00 said:

If you think its okay to use adblocker there then you've thought wrong, that's no different from piracy if you want to get down to the technical terms of their service

If sites can screen their ads so I won't get infected with some bullshit malware then I wouldn't run adblockers, until then, I'll err on the side of caution and whitelist sites on a case by case basis.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Bcat00 said:

No shit they will ban people for that, surprised they waited so long

LOL x 1,000 , no different from piracy ?  I will always use adblocker

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

This may be a bit of a problem for the people who don't want to pay for stuff, but then again does it matter? It's a good move on spotify's part, it's about time they did something about this. Why should you expect to not have to pay for something?

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I don't use Spotify myself so I could be way off here but in most cases, on other sites, the risk of getting malware has gone up because they don't screen ads and just let anything and everything on. If Spotify operates in a similar manner I can see why people want to use them.

i don't know, i've had premium for years. 

however i do have adblock installed and i disable it on youtube, twitch (only enabled at night cuz scary ads and nightmares etc) and the forum most of the time but for everyhting else i leave it on cuz malware. 

She/Her