Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Had to take out RX580 - too damn hot

So I ran an RX580 in my system for about a month. It barely fit in my case and the thing put off so much heat that it literally freightened me. It ran fine, but it was blowing hot air directly onto my HDD to the point where it was hot to the touch. The only other alternative I had in this case (Rosewill challenger) was to duct tape the damn thing to the top of the case, which I didn't trust. So I put my 1050 Ti back in. The HDD is 8 years old and I certainly didn't want to make it die quicker than it already likely is. The outside of the case where the HDD bay was was HOT, not warm to the touch. Did I make the right decision or am I being paranoid? 

How warm? Hardrives get a bit hot on their own. Also what case would make it blow onto the HDDs?

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

How warm? Hardrives get a bit hot on their own. Also what case would make it blow onto the HDDs?

The Rosewill Challenger. Horribly stupid design as the HDD bay is right next to where your GPU sits. 50+ C and I'm sure it's even hotter than that. It is HOT to the touch. No such problem at all with the other GPU. 

That looks like a pretty normal atx case. You even have an intake fan next to the hard drive.

42 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

That looks like a pretty normal atx case. You even have an intake fan next to the hard drive.

Below the hard drive. Also a giant hunk of aluminum that is riveted in right in front of where that intake fan is. Also, good luck having a fan with a cord long enough to reach the motherboard from there. 

Ran the 1050Ti for a day, the HDD gets nowhere near as hot as with the RX580. My idea is to move the hard drive out of the bay and just kinda set it in the bottom of the case right in front of the intake fan. I don't have a sled that fits into the bay there for a 3.5 in. drive. Any problems with this? This, plus a bit of cable re-routing should hopefully let me run the card again. 

4 hours ago, BattleToads said:

Ran the 1050Ti for a day, the HDD gets nowhere near as hot as with the RX580. My idea is to move the hard drive out of the bay and just kinda set it in the bottom of the case right in front of the intake fan. I don't have a sled that fits into the bay there for a 3.5 in. drive. Any problems with this? This, plus a bit of cable re-routing should hopefully let me run the card again. 

Change GPU temps in WattMan, and check HDD temps with HWinfo.

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

OK, so I rerouted my power cables, moved my hard drive, moved one of my fans from top-intake to front-intake, and put the RX580 back in. Everything runs great. Max GPU temp: 78C, max HDD temp: 29C.