1060 3GB Upgrade

ThomasJacobsen

Im about to send in a broken 1060 3GB from ZOTAC, and its such a small price to pay for a upgrate to a 6/8gb card so i'd like to do that.

The question is what i should choose when it comes to upgrade:

RADEON RX 590 FATBOY

MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB Armor OC

ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual OC

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

which one is the best upgrade? all are same price point at my local store with 30 bucks between them

A mining used 1070 would also be within range, but i dont know if its worth to get a out of warranty card...

If the 590 is that close in price, it's clearly the superior pick. 590 is basically a pretty overclocked 580.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Personally, I'd go for the ASUS 1060. I had a similar card at one point and it performed beautifully in games. It still holds up to games now at 1080p

Just now, fasauceome said:

If the 590 is that close in price, it's clearly the superior pick. 590 is basically a pretty overclocked 580.

The 590 is 2900NOK(342$), while i get 2400NOK(283$) for the 3gb, so not that much money for the performance i think

2 minutes ago, Benajim117 said:

Personally, I'd go for the ASUS 1060. I had a similar card at one point and it performed beautifully in games. It still holds up to games now at 1080p

The thing is, the 3gb also does that. 

It just struggles with the vram at times in games like Forza Horizon 4 where a lot of stuff is going on..

1 minute ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

The 590 is 2900NOK(342$), while i get 2400NOK(283$) for the 3gb, so not that much money for the performance i think

Yeah and if you sell your 1060 you'll make up a lot of the cost too

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Yeah and if you sell your 1060 you'll make up a lot of the cost too

I get the money back because it broke within warranty :P

2 minutes ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

The thing is, the 3gb also does that. 

It just struggles with the vram at times in games like Forza Horizon 4 where a lot of stuff is going on..

The extra Vram of the 6GB would help with that and perhaps allow higher texture detail than you get already in other games. That said, as other people have mentioned the 590 is also a very good card and performs better than a 6GB 1060 (if i remember correctly) So that is also a good bet.

I get the money back because it broke within warranty :P

It broke? Wow that kinda sucks, I missed that part. Well at least you get an upgrade.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

It broke? Wow that kinda sucks, I missed that part. Well at least you get an upgrade.

Didnt break, but the fan is rubbing a lot and that isnt a part of the card, so warranty case :) 

How does the 590 compare to a 1070? its like 10$ more for a used 1070

its quite a bit slower. if you can grab a used 1070 for that price that would be the way to go. 

then again you can buy an rx 580 for the same as you get back from the GTX 1060 3GB 

https://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=4290352

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

its quite a bit slower. if you can grab a used 1070 for that price that would be the way to go. 

then again you can buy an rx 580 for the same as you get back from the GTX 1060 3GB 

https://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=4290352

I didnt realize, was only looking at komplett's products.

Would the 500 crowns extra be worth it for the 590, which is only 3 months old?

I didnt realize, was only looking at komplett's products.

Would the 500 crowns extra be worth it for the 590, which is only 3 months old?

not really. 580 isnt that much slower than the 590. shure go for it, but valuewise its not the greatest. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

not really. 580 isnt that much slower than the 590. shure go for it, but valuewise its not the greatest. 

I second that.

This is only $105

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-Radeon-NITRO-RX-580-RX580-4GB-graphic-card-1-Year-Old-Great-Shape/163503223272

1440p.png

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

8 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I noticed the gtx 1060 got a lot higher core clock.. does it not matter as much as i think?

I noticed the gtx 1060 got a lot higher core clock.. does it not matter as much as i think?

coreclocks arent comparable. different Processing units are being used and the number of them differ.

you can only compare them using benchmarks. the rx 580 being faster in compute and equivelent in games. 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Im located in norway, so we have own laws regarding warranties that are better than us+ international laws :P

Yeah Norway included i guess, places where there's a lot of gpu mining operations.

With the crash of bitcoin, there are so many liquidated RX580 at bottom prices, which was the miners go to GPU.

The new one's also dropping prices, because AMD need to clear all the remaining stocks to clear the path for the upcoming Navi gpu.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yeah Norway included i guess, places where there's a lot of gpu mining operations.

With the crash of bitcoin, there are so many liquidated RX580 at bottom prices, which was the miners go to GPU.

The new one's also dropping prices, because AMD need to clear all the remaining stocks to clear the path for the upcoming Navi gpu.

Since when does newegg deliver to norway?!?

I guess im buying from them then, its so much cheaper than here :P

6 minutes ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

Since when does newegg deliver to norway?!?

I guess im buying from them then, its so much cheaper than here :P

nvm, they show with no tax...

This one is $169+worldwide shipping (new), but without games.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-GTS-XXX-Edition-RX-580-8GB-RX-580P8DFD6-AMD/173748752051

Newegg have a norway version you know, how about 1500kr?

image.png.d621f06a7bc640e5833c2c86e2009ddd.png