Any recommendations for turntables at ~400USD?

ramencupofjoy

i'll be using powered speakers (JBL LSR305)
it'd be cool if it came with phono preamp but if not thats fine too i guess

1 hour ago, ramencupofjoy said:

i'll be using powered speakers (JBL LSR305)
it'd be cool if it came with phono preamp but if not thats fine too i guess

if you can add a little extra money, take a look at this one - https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP5-Direct-Drive-Turntable-Black/dp/B01HMW46US/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549229850&sr=8-3&keywords=audio+technica+atlp5

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, Derkoli said:

looks p neat, like that it has a phono preamp
right now though i've been doing some reading on the rega planar 1 and pro-ject debut carbon, how do those stack up against this assuming i pair them with a good preamp

11 hours ago, ramencupofjoy said:

looks p neat, like that it has a phono preamp
right now though i've been doing some reading on the rega planar 1 and pro-ject debut carbon, how do those stack up against this assuming i pair them with a good preamp

whathifi has nothing but good things to say about both. i would go for the rega planar 1 as i did demo one, sounds nice and clean when paired with a decent phono pre-amp, it would also leave a bigger budget for the pre-amp, are you wanting a valve or solid state amp?

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120BK-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-USB/dp/B00GA9COMM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1550465529&sr=8-3&keywords=audio+technica+atlp120

Many of the offerrings around the $ price point are valid... Just don't cheap out and aim much lower than them.  

If you can find a vintage one in good shape they work as well. The downside is who knows how long theyll run or if they are still within manufacturing specs... god forbid they break.