Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

Argh!

I bought a 3GB Zotac p106-90 and have been trying to get it to work on my daughter's gaming machine now for DAYS (Asus Z97 Pro Gamer, i5-4570S cpu, Windows 7).

I have tried altering the 417.22 nv_dispi.inf by following the instructions.

I have rebooted into the "disable driver signature enforcement" mode of Windows, but when I run setup.exe,  Nvidia's installation spends a  minute "checking system compatibility" before announcing that 

NVIDIA Installer cannot continue
This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows
This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.

I tried installing it from the device manager and right clicking to update driver, then pointng it tothe correct directory, but Windows says it can't find a driver.

If I try right-clicking.the .inf to install, I'm told "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation" 

I have also tried altering the nv_dispi.inf file  by changing all the 1C09 references to be the same as the 1C02 lines (that's the 3GB version of the GTX1060). I get the same result.

Any ideas?

5 hours ago, Jim C said:

Argh!

I bought a 3GB Zotac p106-90 and have been trying to get it to work on my daughter's gaming machine now for DAYS (Asus Z97 Pro Gamer, i5-4570S cpu, Windows 7).

I have tried altering the 417.22 nv_dispi.inf by following the instructions.

I have rebooted into the "disable driver signature enforcement" mode of Windows, but when I run setup.exe,  Nvidia's installation spends a  minute "checking system compatibility" before announcing that 

NVIDIA Installer cannot continue
This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows
This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.

I tried installing it from the device manager and right clicking to update driver, then pointng it tothe correct directory, but Windows says it can't find a driver.

If I try right-clicking.the .inf to install, I'm told "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation" 

I have also tried altering the nv_dispi.inf file  by changing all the 1C09 references to be the same as the 1C02 lines (that's the 3GB version of the GTX1060). I get the same result.

Any ideas?

The driver you are trying to install is for W10 maybe, thats what throwing the "This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows" error. download the driver for W7 and then edit that.
Best option would be switching to W10 and use the registry method. Its less hassle to run the card that way. 

14 hours ago, Shibly said:

The driver you are trying to install is for W10 maybe, thats what throwing the "This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows" error. download the driver for W7 and then edit that.
Best option would be switching to W10 and use the registry method. Its less hassle to run the card that way. 

Thanks for the reply. I actually was using the Win10 driver at first and wasted a good hour or two before noticing the .exe file name & realising my mistake. d'Oh.

Yes, maybe I'll have to install Win 10, if no one else can come up with any ideas.

Hello all, I'm new here.

After the video of LTT on Folding@Home, I put my modest GTX 1660 to work (until now only the CPU was doing grid computing, for the World Community Grid).

But I also try to revive an old PC, in its current state it's jsute a waste of electricity to make it fold, but what if I can upgrade (for cheap) its GPU and make it do GPU folding? It could provide an excellent budget folding machine.

I was about to buy a GTX 1650 Super, but it's a little expensive for my budget, as folding-only card. GT 1030 is cheaper but much much crappier, it hurts paying half the pric for like 3 or 4 time less performances.

So I was thinking about a used P106-90. The old PC have a MB video chipset so no problem if no display output, and for such folding potential an used P106-90 is a bargain.

What worries me are the drivers, I can't find them on nvidia website. I know this topic is about cracked drivers for gaming, but for what I plan to use even regular drivers would be fine.

Can a P106-90 owner tell me where to find the "official" drivers for this model? Or must I donwload regular nvidia drivers for GTX 1050 or 1060 and it'll works just fine?

Thank you in advance for your help!

I would really prefer to upgrade this "folding rig" with a P106-90 rather than with a shitty GT 1030 or a pricy (for the budget I have for this personnal project) GTX 1650.

7 hours ago, dartraiden said:

Yes, P106-* supported by same drivers as 1050/1060/etc.

Thank you. That's what I was suspecting but I wanted to be sure.

The card is ordered then 🤞

On 4/14/2020 at 7:33 AM, Shibly said:

The major problem is that the damn last 4 digits being baked on the gpu die. otherwise tweaking some resistors would have done the trick. but now we need to manually make windows see it having a different device ID. we need a wizard with the windows system tweaking capability it seems. What I don't get is that Linux can run this card as usual but it is windows that messes it up.
anyways someone get that hardware id spoofed. I took my younger brothers i3 6100 system insted of my 2600k to run COD warzone and apex. but man it sux using an i3 after an i7. my processor straight up goes to 100% if I launch COD.

I'm not talking about changing the resistors in order to allow the card to be detected as a regular 1060 (if the last 4 digits weren't baked on the GPU die).

My guess is that these cards, as they are now, are capable of video output trough the connector hidden behind the blind bracket. It's just a matter of the video output being disabled trough the video bios that was shipped on the cards.  Otherwise it would make no sense whatsoever for the OEM  to solder the video output connector (usually display port) on the cards.

On 4/23/2020 at 4:44 PM, Adr1an_ said:

I'm not talking about changing the resistors in order to allow the card to be detected as a regular 1060 (if the last 4 digits weren't baked on the GPU die).

My guess is that these cards, as they are now, are capable of video output trough the connector hidden behind the blind bracket. It's just a matter of the video output being disabled trough the video bios that was shipped on the cards.  Otherwise it would make no sense whatsoever for the OEM  to solder the video output connector (usually display port) on the cards.

I was also trying to directly change the bios file but my knowledge was to small for decompiling it. 

I found an old tool that allowed to change values of different bios settings directly to the file. 

Like gpu z does but with more intel about other settings and values that you can change. 

Problem was the program only supportet cards til gtx 200 series.

It could read some values but it dind't really worked. 

It would definitely require the proper editing tool. Or a leaked bios from Asus/MSI whatever 😉

But from a logical standpoint it is obvious that soldering one video connector allowed the OEM's to fully test these mining cards without too much hassle. Then they flashed a crippled bios with no video output and shipped the cards. No other scenario can explain the video output connector.

Same thing happened with the ATI mining cards, only there it was possible to flash the bios for the regular cards and enable the video output this way.

Hello. I bought Zotac P106-90 3gb card from taobao. Everything works, but the card is only running on x4. Can someone help me? The card is in the pcie x16 slot. Machine is lenovo m83 (upgrade gpu), i5 4gen, 16gb ram. 

20200430_223427.jpg

my p106 ran at x16, was overclocked by the os, and used full ram no issue, but my p104 (also oc'd by the os, and using full memory transfer speed) can get the 1060's proformance +3 fps in bsl shaders minecraft, but its stuck at 70% usage in minecraft with that shader. any ideas, and also how to increase the fan speed? msi card runs hot, but the fan dowsn't go on high %. on ubuntu by the way so both (minus the x4 on this card) were plug and play basically. 

driver 418. even tried the 430. same exact %.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

On 4/30/2020 at 11:42 PM, Mistergi said:

Hello. I bought Zotac P106-90 3gb card from taobao. Everything works, but the card is only running on x4. Can someone help me? The card is in the pcie x16 slot. Machine is lenovo m83 (upgrade gpu), i5 4gen, 16gb ram. 

Some mining cards supports x4 only like this card. It's "by design" and we cannot deal with it.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Pz813RaN-rwJ:https://www.cortanna.io/mining-equipment/zotac-p106-90-6gb-192bit-gddr5-mining-edition-p106-090/&lr=lang_en|lang_ru&client=firefox-b-d&hl=en&gl=ru&tbs=lr:lang_1en|lang_1ru&strip=1&vwsrc=0

Card Bus PCI-E 1.1 x4

On 5/1/2020 at 10:37 PM, Snowarch said:

any ideas, and also how to increase the fan speed?

MSI Afterburner.

@dartraiden thats windows only. i use ubuntu 16.04.6, and what does that x4 vs x16 mean?

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

Try to use TuxClocker or GreenWithEnvy.

x4 = catastrophic lack of bandwith capacity due to low number of PCIE lines

PCIE 1.1 x16 = PCIE 3.0 x4 (this slightly limits the video card performance, around 10 percent)

PCIE 1.1 x4 = PCIE 3.0 x1

Can anyone tell me if i brought AMD ryzen processor 3gen ... can p106 run with it ...

6 minutes ago, Anmol800 said:

Can anyone tell me if i brought AMD ryzen processor 3gen ... can p106 run with it ...

You will need one with an iGPU, so only G series like 3400G

how can i run adobe premiere pro with p106-100 GPU 

i already install graphic driver 417.22 for p106-100 

my proccesor is i5 4590t.....

i set adobe premiere pro high performence  GPU BUT it can not run with p106-100 gpu 

this only runs with CPU 100 % usage

>>> please tell me how can i run adobe premiere pro with p106-100 GPU 

ltt.PNG

ltt 2.PNG

manualy modified 417.23 (Beta) driver / p106-100 works fine:

41723.jpg

On 4/15/2020 at 9:57 PM, dartraiden said:

If someone will dig into this direction, here is hardware IDs of 1066

1066.reg 17.71 kB · 8 downloads

Ты пробовал ставить драйверы от 1060 на такие модифицированные строки в реестре? был какой-то результат? Драйвер ориентируется на аппаратные записи на карте или на строки реестра в windows?

обновление: драйвер ориентируется на аппаратные записи, смена id в реестре не помогает обойти ошибку 43

5 hours ago, adres said:

manualy modified 417.23 (Beta) driver / p106-100 works fine:

41723.jpg

Hi, 

How to do this? Is the system detect the card as gtx 1060 instead of p106-100 now?

Mine using 417.22 official nvidia driver..no problem what so ever.. I also want to change the name to gtx 1060 so the system detect is as gtx1060. Hopefully if I manage to this, it will enable gamestream option in the geforce experience. Thank you

image.png

On 5/14/2020 at 11:00 AM, allanon said:

How to do this? Is the system detect the card as gtx 1060 instead of p106-100 now?

Just change "P106-100" to "GTX 1060" in the inf. It's just cosmetic. You can change to RTX 2080Ti if you want. It's string to display in device manager.

Applications requests card name via driver. Driver still detect card as P106 (because of card have P106's BIOS and straps)

On the AMD side of the fence what is the earliest platform that allows the P106 trick to work in Win10?