Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Headphone recommendations (Considering Sennheiser HD 660s)

I bought the Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum in late 2017. Around July-August I began having issues where audio wouldnt come out the left ear cup. It appears it had something to do with the power button since if I played around with it it would get fixed. Eventually is was just a hassle and I filed an RMA and got a new set around September. The replacements worked fine until last week. Went out to eat and when I came back no audio from one the left side, at all. The right side gave away that same day while troubleshooting.

I ordered the Sennheiser GSP600 wit the GX1000. They sound ok I guess, not worse, but they didnt blew me away compared to the G933 (I cant directly compare since Im still waiting on Logitech; their support is so slow).

I have always read of ppl saying to skip gaming headphones and just get a headset and mic so Im thinking of returning the GSP600/GX1000 and buying the Sennheiser HD 660S which get alot of great reviews. Would they sound ok connected to my ASUS Formula X or do I need a DAC/AMP combo? Any recommendations?

 

Will this work?  Has anyone used them?

 

https://www.amazon.com/BlasterX-External-Headphone-Surround-Sidetone/dp/B07FY45F2S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549222650&sr=8-4&keywords=sound+blaster+x7

 

I will use them mostly for gaming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ThePro said:

I bought the Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum in late 2017. Around July-August I began having issues where audio wouldnt come out the left ear cup. It appears it had something to do with the power button since if I played around with it it would get fixed. Eventually is was just a hassle and I filed an RMA and got a new set around September. The replacements worked fine until last week. Went out to eat and when I came back no audio from one the left side, at all. The right side gave away that same day while troubleshooting.

I ordered the Sennheiser GSP600 wit the GX1000. They sound ok I guess, not worse, but they didnt blew me away compared to the G933 (I cant directly compare since Im still waiting on Logitech; their support is so slow).

I have always read of ppl saying to skip gaming headphones and just get a headset and mic so Im thinking of returning the GSP600/GX1000 and buying the Sennheiser HD 660S which get alot of great reviews. Would they sound ok connected to my ASUS Formula X or do I need a DAC/AMP combo? Any recommendations?

 

Will this work?  Has anyone used them?

 

https://www.amazon.com/BlasterX-External-Headphone-Surround-Sidetone/dp/B07FY45F2S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549222650&sr=8-4&keywords=sound+blaster+x7

 

I will use them mostly for gaming.

The 660s will blow everything away that you have listed I have not heard them but I do own HD6XX and they are fantastic.  And you are correct skip gaming headsets all together and get a good pair of headphones the 660s would probably be the last set of headphones you would ever need to buy.

 

As for dacs / amps for those headphones you could benefit greatly with an amp and dac but it may not be 100% necessary right away.   Take a look at Schiit audio for a good entry level DAC + Amp. links below.

 

http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1

http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ThePro said:

I bought the Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum in late 2017. Around July-August I began having issues where audio wouldnt come out the left ear cup. It appears it had something to do with the power button since if I played around with it it would get fixed. Eventually is was just a hassle and I filed an RMA and got a new set around September. The replacements worked fine until last week. Went out to eat and when I came back no audio from one the left side, at all. The right side gave away that same day while troubleshooting.

I ordered the Sennheiser GSP600 wit the GX1000. They sound ok I guess, not worse, but they didnt blew me away compared to the G933 (I cant directly compare since Im still waiting on Logitech; their support is so slow).

I have always read of ppl saying to skip gaming headphones and just get a headset and mic so Im thinking of returning the GSP600/GX1000 and buying the Sennheiser HD 660S which get alot of great reviews. Would they sound ok connected to my ASUS Formula X or do I need a DAC/AMP combo? Any recommendations?

 

Will this work?  Has anyone used them?

 

https://www.amazon.com/BlasterX-External-Headphone-Surround-Sidetone/dp/B07FY45F2S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549222650&sr=8-4&keywords=sound+blaster+x7

 

I will use them mostly for gaming.

Get the HD 6xx new in box on ebay. Massdrop takes forever to ship so I bought one resold as new in box. Only $20-$30 more then the list price on Massdrop with quality like the 650, 660s, etc. 

For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MassDrop-Sennheiser-HD-6XX-HD-650-Open-Back-Professional-Headphones/232597472200?epid=2109817516&hash=item3627e3c3c8:g:V9AAAOSwridaMwLj:rk:4:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

 

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI Armor GTX 1080 - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

2x Xeon E5-2667  - 48GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 4x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get the HE4XX from Massdrop + Amplifier such as JDS Labs Atom or Schiit Magni 3 ( Magni has 2x more power also you could get one of these gaming sound cards as DAC just in case, but i doubt u will be able to tell much difference if any at all ). HE4XX may be better for gaming and maybe for bass ( thanks to planar technology ). You won't really need DAC with 4XX, so amplifier alone will do the job ( especially if you want to use V.Surround ).

Sennheiser 6XX is more for music imo, they're more intimate, calming, warmer n stuff, while 4XX is more raw ( better representation of real/original sound ), clearer and has better soundstage which helps for gaming. Many people consider 6XX neutral and 4XX "fun" but i kinda think the opposite, since 4XX is clearly more flat than 6XX.

Some material 4 ur own research:

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend Creative X7 for an everything DAC: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/creative-sound-blaster-x7-detailed-review-impressions.756102/

 

They've been on sale for around $250 and I got mine barely used for $150. It's essentially an external version of their flagship ZxR sound card, with support for op-amp rolling. I use it to power my Beyerdynamic T1. It's a very transparent amp with its stock op-amps and comes alive musically when swapped for OPA827. 

 

For headphones, I would second the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX for the range you're looking at. There's no harm trying out the headphones on your motherboard as-is without any extra equipment before you decide to invest in a DAC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a set of Sennheiser HD700 and I recommend them if you like a pure listening experience. If you'd like something cheaper, go for the HD650

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aless83 said:

I have a set of Sennheiser HD700 and I recommend them if you like a pure listening experience. If you'd like something cheaper, go for the HD650

The sennheiser HD700 is considered the worst headphone in the sennheiser hi-fi series and I doubt you can find any well known reviewer to recommend these.

Honestly having heard the HD650 and HD600, I like the HD600 more.

If money isn't an issue, go for the HD660s.

 

Pair them with a JDS Atom amp and you should have a good listening experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DotoreN said:

The sennheiser HD700 is considered the worst headphone in the sennheiser hi-fi series and I doubt you can find any well known reviewer to recommend these.

Honestly having heard the HD650 and HD600, I like the HD600 more.

If money isn't an issue, go for the HD660s.

 

Pair them with a JDS Atom amp and you should have a good listening experience.

It depends heavily on the amp you use and what music you listen.

I've read of people complaining about the lack of bass, but I actually enjoy the sound of them. Each has his own taste

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×