Recently my pc stopped sending any signal to my monitors. I tried to fix it and fiddled a bit with the graphics card since I thought it would be the issue. When I was connecting some cables one of these backplates thingies (look at the picture) under the graphics card fell off.

292535368_Billede01-02-201921_00_04.thumb.jpg.a112b13427d99aa1b0d2714fd1084fba.jpg

I tried to put it in again but forgot to turn off the pc, so I accidentally hit the graphics card (msi gtx 1050 ti 4gt lp) and short-circuited it. There came a spark, the pc turned off and there came a loud beep. When I turned the pc on again I noticed the fans weren't spinning anymore. I tried rebooting a couple times but the fans didn't turn on again. I tried to type in my password - with nothing on the screen - and my keyboard effect changed from spectrum to rainbow flow (it always does that after you typed in the password). I tried reconnecting the cable, turning my monitor on and off and it worked! The graphics card was up and running. I took a look at Speccy and the graphics card was indeed working, but the fans weren't. The graphics card was getting hotter and hotter so I turned it off. My dad thinks it can get repaired but I'm not quite sure since I hit the backplate. (picture with about where I think I hit it)1247178739_Billede01-02-201921_00_53.thumb.jpg.5760e1fe0f54ee5c698564bf8a0fec0f.jpg

Please tell me if it can get repaired and possibly how.

Thanks

Billede 01-02-2019 21.00.53.jpg

You more than likely fried the GPU.

Main PC

------------

i5-9400f @2.9GHz | Corsair H100i Elite Capellix |Gigabyte RGB GTX1060 6GB | Corsair CX650M | Island Professional 120GB SSD | Toshiba 2TB HDD | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16 DDR4 3200MHz  | Corsair iCUE 220T | Windows 10 Pro | CPU R20 Cinebench Score -  pts | OpenGL FPS -  FPS | Novabench Score (OC) -  Base - 

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry Mx Red | Corsair Glaive RGB

Streaming PC (HP Compaq 8100 SFF)

------------

Xeon X3440 @2.53GHz | Radeon HD 6450 | HP Compaq 240watt PSU | Toshiba 1TB HDD | Samsung 2x4 DDR3 1333MHz | HP Compaq 8100 SFF | Windows 10 Pro | CPU Cinebench Score - 409 cb | OpenGL FPS - 16.77 FPS | Novabench Score (OC) - 991 Base - 938

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

Logitech G413 Silver White LED Romer-G Switch | Old Gateway Mouse

Monitors

------------

AOC - 21.5" IPS LED FHD Model - l2279VWHE | AOC - 24" TN Panel FHD 144hz 1ms Response - Model G2460PF

If you saw a spark inside of a running PC thats not the best sign.

Main PC

------------

i5-9400f @2.9GHz | Corsair H100i Elite Capellix |Gigabyte RGB GTX1060 6GB | Corsair CX650M | Island Professional 120GB SSD | Toshiba 2TB HDD | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16 DDR4 3200MHz  | Corsair iCUE 220T | Windows 10 Pro | CPU R20 Cinebench Score -  pts | OpenGL FPS -  FPS | Novabench Score (OC) -  Base - 

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

------------

Xeon X3440 @2.53GHz | Radeon HD 6450 | HP Compaq 240watt PSU | Toshiba 1TB HDD | Samsung 2x4 DDR3 1333MHz | HP Compaq 8100 SFF | Windows 10 Pro | CPU Cinebench Score - 409 cb | OpenGL FPS - 16.77 FPS | Novabench Score (OC) - 991 Base - 938

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

Monitors

------------

AOC - 21.5" IPS LED FHD Model - l2279VWHE | AOC - 24" TN Panel FHD 144hz 1ms Response - Model G2460PF

Sounds like you might have killed the GPU.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Be lucky if the GPU is the only thing you fried.

Main PC

------------

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

------------

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

Monitors

------------

Does anyone give actual advice on here anymore or do you people just read 2 words of a post then immediately reply with the first thing that comes to mind without thinking?

His GPU works perfectly fine. The cooling fans died, or possibly the power supply to the cooling fans.

OP, try taking all the screws off the back of the video card, remove the fans and heatsink (if it also comes off, if the heatsink has separate screws under the fans it's fine to leave it on). See if the fans have a standard 3 pin connector, if they do you can either try to wire up a 9v battery, being careful because some fans run on 5v, if it spins up very fast, take it off before you DO damage the fans. Although they're more likely 12v and would run slower than normal, although they should still run.

Or... you can try plugging the fan connector into your motherboard if the connector matches up. You don't need your video on or anything like that to attempt to power the fans, definitely do not power up your GPU without a heatsink.

If they spin up, you should see if you can find some kind of fan power cable extender and you'll have to connect them to your motherboard, since the video card's power supply to the fan is fried. If they don't spin up, see if you can find someone selling a dead version of your GPU for very cheap so you can replace the fans. Or you can see if you can find an aftermarket cooler. Both cheaper than a new GPU by far.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

22 minutes ago, AirSocial said:

You more than likely fried the GPU.

21 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Sounds like you might have killed the GPU.

21 minutes ago, AirSocial said:

Be lucky if the GPU is the only thing you fried.

never heard of a dead GPU working

anyway OP you could try the fans alone, if they don't work anymore that's the problem

if they do work maybe part of the fan power delivery circuit is damaged, you might be able to fix that too but if a really small component shorted it might be easier to just power the fans via the PSU directly

you could use a DC controller to turn them on/off and control the speed

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

16 hours ago, violentnumeric said:

Does anyone give actual advice on here anymore or do you people just read 2 words of a post then immediately reply with the first thing that comes to mind without thinking?

His GPU works perfectly fine. The cooling fans died, or possibly the power supply to the cooling fans.

OP, try taking all the screws off the back of the video card, remove the fans and heatsink (if it also comes off, if the heatsink has separate screws under the fans it's fine to leave it on). See if the fans have a standard 3 pin connector, if they do you can either try to wire up a 9v battery, being careful because some fans run on 5v, if it spins up very fast, take it off before you DO damage the fans. Although they're more likely 12v and would run slower than normal, although they should still run.

Or... you can try plugging the fan connector into your motherboard if the connector matches up. You don't need your video on or anything like that to attempt to power the fans, definitely do not power up your GPU without a heatsink.

If they spin up, you should see if you can find some kind of fan power cable extender and you'll have to connect them to your motherboard, since the video card's power supply to the fan is fried. If they don't spin up, see if you can find someone selling a dead version of your GPU for very cheap so you can replace the fans. Or you can see if you can find an aftermarket cooler. Both cheaper than a new GPU by far.

I have taken the fans off but I can't  find any port that matches. Do you know what this port is called and if I can buy an adapter thing that I can use to power it? Btw the fans are 12v 0.28a 4000 rpm fans

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 hours ago, Askejm said:

I have taken the fans off but I can't  find any port that matches. Do you know what this port is called and if I can buy an adapter thing that I can use to power it? Btw the fans are 12v 0.28a 4000 rpm fans

image.jpg

image.jpg

That looks like it,

Main PC

------------

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

------------

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

Monitors

------------

https://www.amazon.com/OKGEAR-pin-fan-adapter-cable-x/dp/B002PNL3IS

This is what you would use, although you don't necessarily need to buy it from amazon.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 6:02 PM, AirSocial said:

That looks like it,

Got a cable from moddiy.com. The connectors fit perfectly but the fans still aren't spinning.

I searched on google to try and find the answer and somewhere I found out I need to check the bios.

The thing is; I can't enter the bios. It says I need to click on escape, so I do, but still can't get in.

But I think it's because the keyboard isn't activated since the lights only turn on when Windows opens. Also, my headphones make a little beep sound when they connect to a device. When I turn on my PC it makes a beep twice but the first one is after the bios message pops up.

I have opened the bios before when I had a different keyboard so I tried another keyboard. Same problem.