Whats a good RPM for fans

xReqt

Currently all I can hear is my fans there loud and annoying. What is a good speed that they work just as effectively but much quieter as my mic picks it up and it can be hard to stream/speak to friends.  

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

16GB DDR4 Crucial ram (2133mhz)

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

----------------------------------------------------------

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

There is no universal answer.

It depends on your case and how cool you want the components to be.

The higher the rpm, in theory the more air flows through the case moving heat away from the hot parts and pushing it outside the case.

If your components are cool enough, you may be able to reduce the air flow by reducing the fan rpm, with minimal effect on the components.

For example, let's say your cpu is kept at 60 degrees Celsius and in reality it can work just fine at up to 80 degrees Celsius. You could lower the fan speeds a bit, and then due to less air flow inside the case, the cpu temperature may rise to 62 degrees Celsius, IF the fan on the cpu cooler's speed is the same. In real world, your motherboard will probably raise the cpu fan rpm a bit to maintain the temperature to 60 degrees Celsius, so you'll get slightly noisier cpu fan..

It's up to you to determine how cool you want the components to be and all that.  

I've got 5 Corsair LL120/140 fans in my case (which has decent air flow) and i've set them to 700 RPM.

It's pretty quiet and my 6700 (non k, cooled by a Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3) doesn't get above 65 degrees Celsius under 100% load

Current PC: Intel i9-9900K - Corsair Hydro H150i Pro - Asus MAXIMUS XI FORMULA Z390 - MSI Gaming X TRIO 2080 Ti - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB DDR4-3200 -

Corsair RM850X White - Samsung 970 EVO 2 TB SSD - Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB SSD - Samsung 870 EVO 2 TB Sata SSD - Be Quiet! DARK BASE 700 Tower - Corsair DARK CORE RGB PRO SE Wireless Gaming Mouse - Asus ROG Strix Scope NX Wireless Deluxe Keyboard

my cpu never goes over 40c as I'v got a aio cooler (Corsair H100X) @YouriBarelds @mariushm  I just want to not hear my fans 24/7 Is 900 RPM enough to cool the pc and keep the sound down, or do I need to go to 1000rpm?

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

Components don't work better if you keep them cold, there's no benefit to it.

For water cooling, the only thing you have to concern yourself about is keeping the liquid inside below around 60-65 degrees. If your cpu is at around 40 degrees, the water inside won't be much warmer.

Other than that, mechanical hard drives are more sensitive about heat, they should be kept at around 30...40 degrees.

Modern video cards can handle up to 80-90 degrees Celsius, and their bioses typically adjust fan speeds automatically to keep them below 60-70 degrees.

So play around with the fan speeds and monitor the temperatures of your components... if they don't change much, you'd be good.

ok thx @mariushm

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

Its up to your preferences. Fans do have point where speed doesn't have any effect on cooling performance. With most of my fans its 80% of speed. So most fans are limited to 70-80% or 1200-1300rpm for case and CPU fans (Noctua A15s, Bitfenix Spectre Pro and Fractal Design R2&R3).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It depends on the fans, where they're being used, and your hearing. 

Try and see what works for you. I recommend setting every fan as low as possible and raising the rpm of each fan individually to find out when it becomes too noisy. You can then test for load temps and see if you need to raise fan speeds to keep temps in check and create fan curves that work for you.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 years later...
On 1/29/2019 at 5:56 AM, xReqt said:

Currently all I can hear is my fans there loud and annoying. What is a good speed that they work just as effectively but much quieter as my mic picks it up and it can be hard to stream/speak to friends.  

i can help you on this one so you want to reboot your computer spam the F11 button go to config then chick the cpu button got to full on then put on Mauel then set that to 120 uo to 130 then set target speed then it will hit that speed when it is over 120F 130F if it is still loud then you can go up to 140F depending on what motherboard you have to be on the safe side if you could get me the make and model of your motherboard if you need help on that then i can help you on that 

On 1/29/2019 at 6:16 AM, xReqt said:

my cpu never goes over 40c as I'v got a aio cooler (Corsair H100X) @YouriBarelds @mariushm  I just want to not hear my fans 24/7 Is 900 RPM enough to cool the pc and keep the sound down, or do I need to go to 1000rpm?

ok nice sorry did not see this just reboot press F11 got o the cpu page then put it to 60C with fan speed of level 8 that should be good it does not go in to effect until the computer restarts just go to exit save changes and exit then i would go back and watch the temp for 5min just to make sore it is good it should be good since you said it don't get more than 40C don't turn the fan down more than level 8 so that it cools down more quickly and then the fan will go back down till it reaches 60C

Just now, gaming67 said:

ok nice sorry did not see this just reboot press F11 got o the cpu page then put it to 60C with fan speed of level 8 that should be good it does not go in to effect until the computer restarts just go to exit save changes and exit then i would go back and watch the temp for 5min just to make sore it is good it should be good since you said it don't get more than 40C don't turn the fan down more than level 8 so that it cools down more quickly and then the fan will go back down till it reaches 60C

if you are still having the issues