Japan to tax ALL foreign downloads - video games, videos, music, etc. etc.

TopWargamer

http://kotaku.com/report-japan-to-tax-foreign-downloads-starting-next-ye-1501769033

Physical goods imported into Japan are taxed. And according to the Japanese media, starting in 2015, foreign downloads will be as well.

Content such as digital music, e-books, apps, and games downloaded from foreign servers will levied with a consumption tax, reports Nikkei.

Going on info from government sources, Asahi, one of the largest papers in the country,explains that individuals in Japan who buy digital content from Amazon.com can get their content at a discount, because it's currently not taxed. Downloads, however, sold through domestic Japanese servers are taxed.

Thus, this has given foreign-based retailers an advantage—something about which Japanese vendors have complained. And next year, that means taxes for digital foreign goods.

That doesn't really sound right to me, but this really sucks for any Japanese residents. So starting in 2015, and if you live in Japan, you should try your hardest to download from Japanese servers and not from any foreign servers, although that's going to be really hard to do, because a lot of servers, especially for popular websites, are hosted in the US. So yup, tax on digital goods in Japan. This is only the beginning.

EDIT: Would it be possible to bypass this by using a VPN?

COMIC SANS

that's flat retarded, I don't even understand

japan what are you doing

I think I kind of see how they're approaching this, since they tax their own media, including digital media, global media is much more appealing. This is part of the reason why they have separate jp releases of common albums. Still sucks for them. 

Edited by helping

Error: 410

WAT R U DOOOOIN'

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

wait... wait wait WHAT

does this mean if i live in japan i get taxed for playing games watching, videos, downloading ANYTHING that does not somehow help the japaneese

44917193.jpg

My question is, how are they going to enforce this?

Here's how I think it's going to work.

>Japanese resident downloads something from a foreign server

>Japanese government goes to tax them

>Tracks down the Japanese IP

>Traces the IP to a certain house

>Sees who that house's ISP is

>Bill the ISP

>ISP bills the consumer

COMIC SANS

they promote pirating thats what they do i mean at those insane fiber speeds in japan who the F won`t do that is this turns true? 

You're actually very misinformed. Japan is VERY anti-piracy and are very strict with their anti-piracy laws. You're thinking of Sweden.

COMIC SANS

wait... wait wait WHAT

does this mean if i live in japan i get taxed for playing games watching, videos, downloading ANYTHING that does not somehow help the japaneese

no,I think it means more along the lines of,if you purchase and download the BF4 client from an NA server while in Japan that they will tax it.

Or if you purchase and download a movie from Amazon.com while in Japan.

Or if you purchase and download Adobe Premiere Pro from an NA server.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

>Bill the ISP

>ISP bills the consumer

I think the concept of a digital tariff is pretty new, actually. 

Basically all it is, since they have no grounds to tax it other than "it's foreign."

VPN?

wow...

I'm not even sure how to react.

That's just silly.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

VPN?

Ya, I even included that in my OP edit. Would it be possible to bypass digital media taxes by using a VPN?

COMIC SANS

I don't see how it's a huge issue. They're already taxed on media within Japan. So they'll get taxed on digital media from abroad.

Taxes help everyone. What do you think pays for the medical system, roads, schools, etc etc.

Not only that it will help out Japanese distributors who ARE taxed.

Just because something is digital, doesn't mean it shouldn't be taxed. It shouldn't be any different than physical goods.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Nippon-sama why you do dis!

1696133-y_u_do_dis.jpg

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I don't really see the problem. From even just the small excerpt of the article in the OP, the situation seems to be that currently there is a tax on digital distribution within Japan which doesn't cover downloads from servers outside of Japan. The law just makes that tax cover everything.

>Bill the ISP

>ISP bills the consumer

That sounds more or less right,although it could also work out differently.

I was thinking something more along the lines of officially taxing,like in order for japan to allow business with X company,X company must add the consumer tax to the cost of the price of the product when billing.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

I don't see how it's a huge issue. They're already taxed on media within Japan. So they'll get taxed on digital media from abroad.

Taxes help everyone. What do you think pays for the medical system, roads, schools, etc etc.

Not only that it will help out Japanese distributors who ARE taxed.

Just because something is digital, doesn't mean it shouldn't be taxed. It shouldn't be any different than physical goods.

I could kind of oppose this with an economic and social argument, though it's rather vulnerable. But the issue isn't that black and white. 

WELP there goes my trip to japan
to-aru-majutsu-no-index-II-01-12.jpg

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

That sounds more or less right,although it could also work out differently.

I was thinking something more along the lines of officially taxing,like in order for japan to allow business with X company,X company must add the consumer tax to the cost of the price of the product when billing.

That's always possible. I guess we'll find out more the closer we get to 2015.

COMIC SANS

@TopWargamer 

Would it be possible to bypass this by using a VPN?

Doubtful think it would be similar to Linus' situation when he needed to purchase Google Glass; he had to use somebody else's Credit Card in order to actually set the order even with a VPN.
Linus Sebastian said:

I could kind of oppose this with an economic and social argument, though it's rather vulnerable. But the issue isn't that black and white. 

Economic how? People spending the money abroad doesn't help Japan as a nation at all. What does help is having that money spent internally.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red