Trying to use the HTC Vive Wireless Adapter on a Laptop...

IsaacThePooper

So I noticed that the Vive wireless adapter requires you to use a PCIe 1x wireless card thing, which can only be plugged into a desktop PC. I think that this is dumb because there's a lot of VR players that play on laptops and I don't want to use the crappy TPCast version. But, you can probably use an external GPU enclosure and pop in that wireless card into there through Thunderbolt 3, but those enclosures are like $200 which is more than half the price of the freaking wireless adapter you already got. 

So I want to see if there are any ghetto versions out there. I'm thinking about doing this:

Plugging in a Type C 3.1 (because thunderbolt 3 to M.2 adapters are crazy expensive) to the laptop like this one.

Then using a M.2 to PCIe 4x adapter when you take off the M.2 plastic enclosure thing like this.

I'm thinking that it could work considering USB 3 GPU risers work for mining and sometimes gaming as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_chC1-gylg

But, the thing that lacks is a PCIe port on a Laptop, which the only way to do that legitimately with 4 PCIe lanes is through Thunderbolt 3, but this Vive wireless card is only 1x (idk if it requires 4 lanes or not). 

Any other suggestions or do I have to get the expensive Thunderbolt 3 stuff?

The M.2 to PCIe should work... I don't see a reason as to why it wouldn't work.

Currently working towards fully restoring my ThinkPad T510

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 -- ASUS Dual Radeon RX 6650 XT OC Edition 8GB -- Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 (4x8GB) -- ASRock B450M Steel Legend -- Corsair CX650M -- SAMA IM01 -- Crucial P2 500GB NVMe, 2x Crucial BX500 1TB

Just now, Kiddo V9999 said:

The M.2 to PCIe should work... I don't see a reason as to why it wouldn't work.

Maybe because it's only through a USB 3.1 port? But GPU mining riser cards still use USB 3 but they actually get that native PCIe port.

True. At this rate i'm not too sure myself but there's no harm in trying. Although from what i saw, they go for around maybe $100 CAD.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 -- ASUS Dual Radeon RX 6650 XT OC Edition 8GB -- Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 (4x8GB) -- ASRock B450M Steel Legend -- Corsair CX650M -- SAMA IM01 -- Crucial P2 500GB NVMe, 2x Crucial BX500 1TB

Linus did a video on PCI extensions for laptops awhile ago. You must have an m.2 port that is NVME capable though, some M.2's only support SATA 3 which does not grant access to the PCI lanes, only  NVME uses PCIe lanes so your m.2 slot could very well be SATA 3 only.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

• 1 month later...

I have a MSI Trident Artic. Anybody knows if the solution   Type C 3.1 to M2 (non Thunderbolt)+ M.2 to PCIe 4x Works with Vive Wireless properly?

Thanks a lot

On 3/12/2019 at 5:18 AM, otro5 said:

I have a MSI Trident Artic. Anybody knows if the solution   Type C 3.1 to M2 (non Thunderbolt)+ M.2 to PCIe 4x Works with Vive Wireless properly?

Thanks a lot

Can't tell ya but it may be a good idea to create a new thread for that question.