Need help fixing broken speakers, please!

My brother works at Walmart in the electronics department. When they are ready to replace the display speakers, my brother will take some of the old ones home because otherwise they'll just throw them away. I've got 4 right now and I want to fix them so they're in good working order.

Here's the first one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719LDGJ4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0719LDGJ4&pd_rd_w=7Zmyz&pf_rd_p=21517efd-b385-405b-a405-9a37af61b5b4&pd_rd_wg=EsKFg&pf_rd_r=6SGJFDNQC3V9PQRBVV0G&pd_rd_r=f5897b6a-2265-11e9-81c1-55944d4ed8db

It works when you plug it in, but it doesn't have a battery. I'm wondering if it's possible to put in a battery. I should note, this is a specially designed display model that is purposely made to not have a battery. If I want to add one, I'm gonna have to splice it in. I just need to know where and what kind of battery I should get.

The next two are: https://www.amazon.com/808-Audio-HEX-TL-Rechargeable/dp/B0109GTXWA/ref=pd_sim_23_3/133-8998521-0172801?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0109GTXWA&pd_rd_r=6e427bd2-2266-11e9-8cd6-a534db0839e1&pd_rd_w=6wMUP&pd_rd_wg=Vj9eI&pf_rd_p=90485860-83e9-4fd9-b838-b28a9b7fda30&pf_rd_r=9H1H19YPZMQVDXT53SW0&psc=1&refRID=9H1H19YPZMQVDXT53SW0

https://www.amazon.com/808-Audio-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B01EZG65Y4/ref=pd_sim_107_5/133-8998521-0172801?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01EZG65Y4&pd_rd_r=676dd321-2266-11e9-8307-3d1db5d50469&pd_rd_w=wGMFs&pd_rd_wg=Zf2bU&pf_rd_p=90485860-83e9-4fd9-b838-b28a9b7fda30&pf_rd_r=BT25MSVZ9F0410NMHC68&psc=1&refRID=BT25MSVZ9F0410NMHC68

These ones are tricky. There's a set of wires coming out of the bottoms of both. These went into the display stands themselves. My brother said he can't remember exactly how they worked but he thinks there's more internal components for the speakers inside the case itself. When he got these speakers, the wires connecting the speakers to the case and internals were cut. There's a chance I could be missing half of the innards of both of these speakers but I mean, a speaker is a speaker, right? It might be missing the components needed to handle volume and maybe some post audio things, but they should still work, right? Right? Btw they don't work at all. Not even lights come on.

Here's the last one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KKKTNEI/ref=twister_B07KWV2GFN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I dunno what's going on with this one. I think my brother said he tried it and only the power light came on but nothing else worked. I already had 3 other speakers opened up and I only have so much desk space.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

It's been a couple of days, is there nobody that can help me? Even if it's just pointing me in the right direction?

6 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

It's been a couple of days, is there nobody that can help me? Even if it's just pointing me in the right direction?

There are probably two reasons for this: you're looking for very specific knowledge (how consumer products are modified to become displays) that is not widely known and the audio forums here see dedicated (and knowledgeable), but limited traffic.  If you don't get any responses here, try AVS forums.  Good luck!

unfortunately your going to actual have to open them up and look at the internals...a lot displays that you can look at are just that....unless you were actually able to test hear them in a store....i wouldnt be surprised that they had no internals

On 1/30/2019 at 8:35 AM, Blasteque said:

There are probably two reasons for this: you're looking for very specific knowledge (how consumer products are modified to become displays) that is not widely known and the audio forums here see dedicated (and knowledgeable), but limited traffic.  If you don't get any responses here, try AVS forums.  Good luck!

I was starting to feel that was the case. I'll try that other forum. Thanks!

On 1/30/2019 at 9:09 AM, circeseye said:

unfortunately your going to actual have to open them up and look at the internals...a lot displays that you can look at are just that....unless you were actually able to test hear them in a store....i wouldnt be surprised that they had no internals

The first one I talked about, the first Altec one, I have opened up. It's missing a battery and it wasn't built to have a battery. I know a little bit about electronics and circuitry, but not enough to go in there and try adding a battery myself. I was hoping somebody could either explain where and how to put in a battery, and what kind of battery to use, or in the very least point me somewhere I can go to find that information. As for the two 808 speakers, it looks like there should be another circuit board or something, but I don't have a consumer model to open up to confirm that. I also don't know what the wires coming out of the bottoms of them do either and I'm hoping I can just splice those together but I don't think it's going to be that easy. Lastly, as far as I'm aware of you can test hear all of the speakers in the store, and they should all be functional. Again with the 808's, the were physically cut from the display. I don't know what was in the display stand itself that they were attached to and I'm hoping it's nothing that the speakers can't work without.

54 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

The first one I talked about, the first Altec one, I have opened up. It's missing a battery and it wasn't built to have a battery. I know a little bit about electronics and circuitry, but not enough to go in there and try adding a battery myself. I was hoping somebody could either explain where and how to put in a battery, and what kind of battery to use, or in the very least point me somewhere I can go to find that information. As for the two 808 speakers, it looks like there should be another circuit board or something, but I don't have a consumer model to open up to confirm that. I also don't know what the wires coming out of the bottoms of them do either and I'm hoping I can just splice those together but I don't think it's going to be that easy. Lastly, as far as I'm aware of you can test hear all of the speakers in the store, and they should all be functional. Again with the 808's, the were physically cut from the display. I don't know what was in the display stand itself that they were attached to and I'm hoping it's nothing that the speakers can't work without.

You could probably figure out what has changed if you can find schematics.  Many companies don't want user or third party repair so schematics can sometimes be hard to find, but it's worth a google search.

22 hours ago, Blasteque said:

You could probably figure out what has changed if you can find schematics.  Many companies don't want user or third party repair so schematics can sometimes be hard to find, but it's worth a google search.

That's the thing. I feel if I had another model in my hands to take apart for myself, I wouldn't even need this thread. But, you've given me some good help so I'll try those out. Thank you!

The first one likely uses some kind of lithium ion battery (like vapes and flashlights), but it may be missing not only the battery but the charging circuitry. Once it's open if you can post some close up photos (in focus!) of the circuit board we might be able to help you figure something out. Otherwise, I assume it'll power off USB just fine? Get a slim battery bank for $20 off Amazon and just double stick tape it to the side lol.