old speakers and new mini stereo system

goto10
Go to solution Solved by Derkoli,
23 hours ago, goto10 said:

thank you for your reply

my goal is more audio quality than lots of watts, so i don't care if it fall to half of what it says it can do, some people says it might short out, but i just want to use the old ones instead the new ones that doesn't sound that good

i should buy a cheap amplifier, but most of them doens't have a remote control or are not available locally where i live

Aslong as you connect neg to neg and pos to pos it wont short out lol. aslong as the speakers are higher impedance then the amplifier you'll be fine, there's some great cheap second hand speakers out there.

i have some very old speakers, ss lb 300 sony,

i would like to buy a cheap mini stereo system to give use to those speakers, i found a cheap simple panasonic akx110

the panasonic is 300 watts, but it says at 4 ohms

the sony speakers say 6 ohms

would be dangerous for the panasonic if i connected those instead of the small 2 way speakers?  the sony ones are big and 3 way speakers

17 hours ago, goto10 said:

i have some very old speakers, ss lb 300 sony,

i would like to buy a cheap mini stereo system to give use to those speakers, i found a cheap simple panasonic akx110

the panasonic is 300 watts, but it says at 4 ohms

the sony speakers say 6 ohms

would be dangerous for the panasonic if i connected those instead of the small 2 way speakers?  the sony ones are big and 3 way speakers

You can connect higher impedance speakers to a lower impedance amplifier, but it will be half as loud, such as if the amplifier provided 200 watts @ 4 ohms, it would provide 100 @ 8 ohms, this would be safe to connect aslong as you connect it properly.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

thank you for your reply

my goal is more audio quality than lots of watts, so i don't care if it fall to half of what it says it can do, some people says it might short out, but i just want to use the old ones instead the new ones that doesn't sound that good

i should buy a cheap amplifier, but most of them doens't have a remote control or are not available locally where i live

23 hours ago, goto10 said:

thank you for your reply

Aslong as you connect neg to neg and pos to pos it wont short out lol. aslong as the speakers are higher impedance then the amplifier you'll be fine, there's some great cheap second hand speakers out there.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

5 hours ago, Derkoli said:

those are like 25 years old cheap speakers yes, but is sort of sentimental value thing what i have for those, so, yes, i will proceed that way

thank you

21 hours ago, goto10 said:

those are like 25 years old cheap speakers yes, but is sort of sentimental value thing what i have for those, so, yes, i will proceed that way

thank you

happy to help :)