Why people use MacOS?

3 hours ago, Exaco said:

MacOS dock doesn't even have separator, while mine in Win10 has ( 3rd party app - RocketDock ) and it makes alot easier when you want to sort app categories e.g. internet, softwares, media etc.
08ebc79dd2a5b333fb74ac9ae17f579b.png

Now make that windows taskbar disapear and never apear again on mouse movement to that place :P

Windows 10 is slightly better then mac os when it comes to customizability. You are also not allowed to do many things in windows. On the other hand i can build my linux installation from scratch, i mean literally from scratch. Starting with kernel :) I can make my taskbar or dock apear in the middle of the screen if i want to. User is god in linux. He/She can change ANYTHING in it. Linux is WAYYYYYYY ahead of windows and macOS in this and in other things too be it security, privacy, speed, supporting slow hardware because of low requirements and so on and on.

This goes like this

Linux > windows > Any other OS > maybe you forgot some OS > mac os

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

I personally use 2015 Macbook Pro 13" every day and love using macOS on it. If I could pick any laptop in the world, I would pick this one as it has the amazing trackpad and ports.

1) MacOS has bad support for software

It has support for everything I need. It has web browser, spotify and office suite. I don't really need to use anything else on my laptop. Everything is online nowadays.
2) No Gaming or just few games

If I ever want to game I have a windows computer for that, though I rarely even want to play games anymore.
3) Less piracy ( good for some and bad for other )

Software piracy is illegal so I have no interest in it.
4) Poor performance ( if not hackintosh )

Performance is all about the hardware, my macbook pro is just as powerful as a windows ultrabook with the same hardware.
5) No Nvidia support which means no CUDA/RTX for 3D/Video editing artists. ( if not hackintosh )

I don't even have a dedicated GPU so I cannot comment about this
6) Outdated UI design / no customization ( everything literally looks identical to 2011 iPhone on 2018 MacOS or for example their Store icon looks like it was made by someone on Fiverr for 5$ )

I personally think that macOS GUI looks really nice, the trackpad gestures alone are miles ahead of anything on the Windows side and make all of the shortcomings of the platform worth it. And at least for me it has enough customization.

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

16 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

or until your nvidia drivers F up causing a black screen and nothing more.

I can confirm this, nvidia drivers for linux desktop are TRASH! even if you are able to play games with DXVK, it's not a stable environment even if the linux kernel is stable, I'm not saying linux is crap, it's just not suitable for this because of a software company doesn't care about making his drivers open (which would solve every issue)

Edited by Guest

57 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

If you were good at linux you would know nvidia does not work well with linux. Hell it does not even work at all in latest mac OS :P Because nvidia is crap company! That is why linux creater said "Nvidia fuck you". Just disable nvidia gpu or tinker with it to get it working but do not use that as argument. This is not linux fault. Nvidia won't open drivers and they also won't create good drivers for linux!

it is Linux's fault. your argument is that Linux is a reliable OS, but that is not true depending on the hardware you install it on. 

that is a good thing about Apple, they restrict macOS to run on their hardware, so they can be sure it doesn't randomly brick itself with an update. 

20 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

I can confirm this, nvidia drivers for linux desktop are TRASH! even if you are able to play games with DXVK, it's not a stable environment even if the linux kernel is stable, I'm not saying linux is crap, it's just not suitable for this because of a software company doesn't care about making his drivers open (which would solve every issue)

i never said it was Linux's fault, but this does contribute to the OS not being reliable in the eyes of most consumers. 

if you read online that Linux was the best and you shouldn't run anything else, you install it, and it bricks itself becuase of nvidia you're gonna be mad. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

it is Linux's fault. your argument is that Linux is a reliable OS, but that is not true depending on the hardware you install it on. 

that is a good thing about Apple, they restrict macOS to run on their hardware, so they can be sure it doesn't randomly brick itself with an update. 

i never said it was Linux's fault, but this does contribute to the OS not being reliable in the eyes of most consumers. 

if you read online that Linux was the best and you shouldn't run anything else, you install it, and it bricks itself becuase of nvidia you're gonna be mad.  

linux doesn't have it's fault too because every piece of it's features and modules is owned by different people due to it's nature, differently where in Windows it's almost entirely Microsoft fault if some issue occurs

1 hour ago, mate_mate91 said:

Now make that windows taskbar disapear and never apear again on mouse movement to that place :P

Windows 10 is slightly better then mac os when it comes to customizability. You are also not allowed to do many things in windows. On the other hand i can build my linux installation from scratch, i mean literally from scratch. Starting with kernel :) I can make my taskbar or dock apear in the middle of the screen if i want to. User is god in linux. He/She can change ANYTHING in it. Linux is WAYYYYYYY ahead of windows and macOS in this and in other things too be it security, privacy, speed, supporting slow hardware because of low requirements and so on and on.

This goes like this

Linux > windows > Any other OS > maybe you forgot some OS > mac os

Why would i do that in first place? The taskbar is awesome! Puts alot of ur currently using shit on it instead of flooding the Dock like in MacOS. Also i bet its possible to get rid of it.

"This goes like this

Linux > windows > Any other OS > maybe you forgot some OS > mac os"

Honestly i agree, but cmon MacOS isn't that bad :D Linux > Windows > MacOS > Any other non-linux OS. 

Also idk what u mean by Nvidia bad on Linux, but for some reason many ppl move to Linux from Windows just for the purpose of utilizing all their Nvidia cards. ( Miners, GPU rendering artists etc ). Idk if its the case on this day, but before Windows allowed only 12 GPU's or less, thats why many ppl moved to Linux.
Also i've heard that many top level film studios uses Linux and i bet u would find alot of Nvidia stuff there.

2 hours ago, Exaco said:

Also idk what u mean by Nvidia bad on Linux, but for some reason many ppl move to Linux from Windows just for the purpose of utilizing all their Nvidia cards. ( Miners, GPU rendering artists etc ). Idk if its the case on this day, but before Windows allowed only 12 GPU's or less, thats why many ppl moved to Linux.
Also i've heard that many top level film studios uses Linux and i bet u would find alot of Nvidia stuff there.

Because nvidia does not open drivers and their drivers are crap on linux. Usually cause black screens and system boot problems.

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

You clearly do not know what you are talking about! Saying it's linux fault that nvidia does not work well on it is like saying it's my fault that we have not landed on mars anyone yet. It's the nvidia who won't open their drivers and won't tell the comunity how their cards work. I do not know if you are a programmer and have worked with IOT, but without datasheets those controllers are gurbage. You won't be able to use them. Just like linux comunity is not able to create drivers for nvidia cards. It's nvidias fault!

If they opened THEIR drivers comunity would fix all that bugs and improve them. Amd is good example here, they have opensourced drivers.

Linux being stable does not need argument. Most supercomputers, smart cars, smartphones, smart everything, servers, routers and other devices run LINUX! Not windows, not mac os but linux! Linux is all about being open and give choice to user apple does not give you choice. It decides itself what you need, want, require and you can only agree to that and that's it. They do not give you a choice to use nvidia cards in their latest OS so you won't be able to. But in linux many people use nvidia gpus for things other then gaming. For machine learning, calculations, mining, rendering and so on.

it is Linux's fault.

i never said it was Linux's fault

You said these sentences in THE SAME POST.

those that do backups

5 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

Because nvidia does not open drivers and their drivers are crap on linux. Usually cause black screens and system boot problems.

You clearly do not know what you are talking about! Saying it's linux fault that nvidia does not work well on it is like saying it's my fault that we have not landed on mars anyone yet. It's the nvidia who won't open their drivers and won't tell the comunity how their cards work. I do not know if you are a programmer and have worked with IOT, but without datasheets those controllers are gurbage. You won't be able to use them. Just like linux comunity is not able to create drivers for nvidia cards. It's nvidias fault!

If they opened THEIR drivers comunity would fix all that bugs and improve them. Amd is good example here, they have opensourced drivers.

Linux being stable does not need argument. Most supercomputers, smart cars, smartphones, smart everything, servers, routers and other devices run LINUX! Not windows, not mac os but linux! Linux is all about being open and give choice to user apple does not give you choice. It decides itself what you need, want, require and you can only agree to that and that's it. They do not give you a choice to use nvidia cards in their latest OS so you won't be able to. But in linux many people use nvidia gpus for things other then gaming. For machine learning, calculations, mining, rendering and so on.

i dual-booted my MacBook with Linux, and this is what i ran into. 

• fan not ramping up resulting in 90 degrees on the cpu and throtteling, fixed by installing an app and setting custom fan curve
  • wifi not working properly, fixed by installing proprietary drivers (ty @Lukyp)

i dual-booted my gaming pc with Linux, this is what i ran into:

• random artifacting on the desktop even though my gpu is known good, i haven't found a solution yet
  • couldn't configure my Corsair pheriphirals, fixxed by installing ckb-next

i'd like to see you argue these points too.

She/Her

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

random artifacting on the desktop even though my gpu is known good, i haven't found a solution yet

Have you tried using the amdgpu driver tho? (If that was an amd card I don't remember)

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Have you tried using the amdgpu driver tho? (If that was an amd card I don't remember)

yea it'd my 290X. i have removed the radeon package thing and installed the amdgpu thing, and it didn't work. it still uses radeon. 

then people started talking about kernel parameters or something and at that point i gave up. 

the face that you have to do stuff like that even if you have a gpu from the almighty AMD already told me that Linux is not an option for a daily OS for me. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

then people started talking about kernel parameters or something and at that point i gave up.

Yup that was me, now I remember, in this case it's either the distro maintainer fault (because can be workarounded distro-side) and the kernel developers who decided to prioritize the radeon driver, thinking is more stable (is also being discontinued)

5 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

the face that you have to do stuff like that even if you have a gpu from the almighty AMD already told me that Linux is not an option for a daily OS for me. 

Well looks like mac OS is for you. This is why i posted earlier that linux users are much more advanced then mac os users. Even windows users (More then mac os users quantity combined) are more advanced then mac os users.

This is why you like mac os because adding kernel parameter is great wall of china for you. You stop and return where you came from....

First of you should choose distro wisely. I would suggest manjaro to you. I had never problems with it. Like i said before linux is all about giving choice to the user. You could easily blacklist radeon and os would use that "amdgpu thing" but you must research. Many people have written many topics about how to do some things in linux, that includes me. I have written dozens of topics. You just have to read :)

those that do backups

14 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

First of you should choose distro wisely. I would suggest manjaro to you.

this happens on manjaro. 

She/Her

56 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

Well looks like mac OS is for you. This is why i posted earlier that linux users are much more advanced then mac os users. Even windows users (More then mac os users quantity combined) are more advanced then mac os users.

This is why you like mac os because adding kernel parameter is great wall of china for you. You stop and return where you came from....

First of you should choose distro wisely. I would suggest manjaro to you. I had never problems with it. Like i said before linux is all about giving choice to the user. You could easily blacklist radeon and os would use that "amdgpu thing" but you must research. Many people have written many topics about how to do some things in linux, that includes me. I have written dozens of topics. You just have to read :)

What? @firelighter487 has a point. With the amount of work and struggling you have to put into fixing stuff and setting stuff up on Linux, I also think it's really not a viable option as a daily OS. 

I used to run Xubuntu 16.04 dual booted with Windows 10. It was a hell of a struggle getting it all set up (modified it a bit), took me and my friend a good 2+ hours.

My point is that Linux is unreliable. It's so easy to break it that I can see why macOS and Windows have a much bigger market share.

I'm not trying to badmouth Linux. I'm just saying that like firelighter, I don't think it's a viable daily OS right now.

One question I have is - why should you have to research and know the ins and outs of your OS to be able to get graphics drivers working?

Something as simple as graphics drivers should be easy to install no matter what OS you use.

Just another reason why I think Linux is the average user's worst nightmare. 

Also a friendly reminder - saying stuff like "This is why i posted earlier that linux users are much more advanced then mac os users." doesn't help your point. If anything it just makes you sound pretentious, and that you think Linux users are better than anyone else. Last time I checked people don't like being talked to like that.

14 minutes ago, 1kv said:

not just the average user. also geeks who just want a reliable machine to do important stuff like homework on. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

not just the average user. also geeks who just want a reliable machine to do important stuff like homework on. 

Yep.

Linux and reliability do not mix, let me tell you that.

44 minutes ago, 1kv said:

What? @firelighter487 has a point. With the amount of work and struggling you have to put into fixing stuff and setting stuff up on Linux, I also think it's really not a viable option as a daily OS. 

I used to run Xubuntu 16.04 dual booted with Windows 10. It was a hell of a struggle getting it all set up (modified it a bit)

My point is that Linux is unreliable. It's so easy to break it that I can see why macOS and Windows have a much bigger market share.

I'm not trying to badmouth Linux. I'm just saying that like firelighter, I don't think it's a viable daily OS right now.

One question I have is - why should you have to research and know the ins and outs of your OS to be able to get graphics drivers working?

Something as simple as graphics drivers should be easy to install no matter what OS you use.

Also a friendly reminder - saying stuff like "This is why i posted earlier that linux users are much more advanced then mac os users." doesn't help your point. If anything it just makes you sound pretentious, and that you think Linux users are better than anyone else. Last time I checked people don't like being talked to like that.

What? No, it's just because there are some specific cases and configurations where everything is just complicated, which is not even a Linux OS fault, but rather a vendor crappy support or never reported bugs, which even exist on Windows but the reason they got solved quickly (or solved at all) is it has an insane desktop usage

The @firelighter487 case with his AMD card SI and CIK series, is the only one who requires such a complicated handling with kernel parameters to change the driver, what he is experiencing is just a driver bug with his current one which could be solved, but probably never been reported because of the amount of people using that card, the workaround for that is just switching to another driver and that's the only case where a single device has more drivers for it, another workaround could be just updating the kernel which is something I forgot to tell to him, and there are a lot of GUIs to that, that's also an huge reason of why issues like that exist, people just do not know how to deal with bugs in Linux, and do not even know anything about distro bug tracking systems, contacting kernel developers, and so those bugs are never known by anyone who can deal with them, I think the effort and work developers put into Linux systems for desktop is huge considering people are doing that for free (excluding core and servers programs), and barely has 2% of the market share, I'm more than surprised has this kind of support at all, and the amount of software and things to support is insane compared to what microsoft has to deal with with Windows (They deal with a few amount of drivers as well compared to Linux which also has drivers in the kernel, even if in this case there are also hardware vendors contributing), if the market share in Linux would be even bigger things could only be better for consumers

With that said I'm saying that most of PC's with common configurations are perfectly fine to use for normal usage, I run into issues only with my gaming desktop PC which has 2 monitors, one is a 144Hz one so it messes up the windows movements and breaks vsync (I also had issues with on this config on Windows too), AMD CPU and AMD chipset, NVIDIA graphic card with proprietary driver, which is a very specific config

I use Kubuntu on my Dell XPS without a single issue, and my parents are not calling me anymore when their PC wifi stops working for some reason (buggy windows driver) since I installed Xubuntu on it

You do not even need to worry about drivers when everything just works unlike Windows 10, even if it has preinstalled drivers compared to 7 but still not for everything, in this case linux is better when it has support, people tend to get mad just when something does not work and do not care how they are able to have drivers without touching a thing, in the Windows 7 era still you wouldn't need to install drivers on Linux if you had supported hardware in the kernel (for example Atheros always put drivers into the linux kernel for example, as long with Intel for their GPU's and chipset drivers)

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

another workaround could be just updating the kernel which is something I forgot to tell to him

it was on the latest kernel at the time. i always update it to the latest :) 

She/Her

10 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

it was on the latest kernel at the time. i always update it to the latest :) 

Oh right because you were using manjaro, could be a kernel regression as well, typically Ubuntu uses the most stable one

In the case the fix has been released but not applied on the distribution, the one to blame are the distro maintainers and you contact them first and should fix the issue while giving you a temporary workaround until it gets completely fixed with an update

The reason why this is needed is apparently you are the first one experiencing this and reporting it to them

Edited by Guest

On 1/24/2019 at 11:43 AM, Exaco said:

Didn't came here to roast apple, but literally this is like mind**ck for me.

Given most of the reasons you posted are false, it is unlikely anyone will be able to tell you anything that would un**ck for you.

-kp

14 hours ago, 1kv said:

Yep.

Linux and reliability do not mix, let me tell you that.

giphy.gif

How can i not tell you that linux users are more advanced when you say things like this. Linux is not reliable, said no one ever! :D That is why people use it on servers, mission critical devices, supercomputers, smart cars and places like that. Linux is much more reliable then mac os or windows!

those that do backups

17 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

How can i not tell you that linux users are more advanced when you say things like this. 

Like I said previously, people don't like it when you talk to them like that. It really doesn't help your point.

17 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

Linux is not reliable, said no one ever! :D That is why people use it on servers, mission critical devices, supercomputers, smart cars and places like that. Linux is much more reliable then mac os or windows!

I was talking from my experience. 

I've used Windows, macOS and Linux (Ubuntu 11.10, 14.04 LTS/Xubuntu 16.04/Manjaro 17.0) as my daily OS before and Linux has always been the one OS I've had reliability issues with. I've found that Linux seems to be unstable no matter what distro I use.

Maybe I've just had bad luck with Linux, who knows. 

On 2/6/2019 at 10:42 AM, Exaco said:

You don't need the DVD/USB + Support since you wont call Microsoft anyway for helping you to install DirectX or find where Control Panel is. 
You can get OEM for like 3-6$ ( which is fully functional windows just has no call support

Grey market keys really don't count

There's really no point to this thread, as you've countered everything we've said.  just cause you don't like the way MacOS works, doesn't mean it's bad.  I use Linux, but that doesn't make other OS's worthless

7 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

How can i not tell you that linux users are more advanced when you say things like this. Linux is not reliable, said no one ever! :D That is why people use it on servers, mission critical devices, supercomputers, smart cars and places like that. Linux is much more reliable then mac os or windows!

mine and @1kv's point is that it is unreliable for a desktop os. 

7 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

That is why people use it on servers, mission critical devices, supercomputers, smart cars and places like that

none of those are a desktop home computer. 

She/Her

On 1/25/2019 at 8:43 AM, Exaco said:

Hello guys, i don't get why people ( or you ) use Mac OS?
If your first computer was from Apple i get it, but there's some that does Hackintosh stuff or switch from Windows etc. I don't get that, because:

1) MacOS has bad support for software

Runs everything you need. I run office, iWork, plus all my favourite games. When I need to use an app that MacOS doesn't support, I just use VMware. 

2) No Gaming or just few games

Runs all the games I like. More optimised graphics drivers too, I get better fps in SC2, CSGO etc. 

3) Less piracy ( good for some and bad for other )

Don't pirate. Not an issue if you like to follow the law. 

4) Poor performance ( if not hackintosh )

Not really. 

5) No Nvidia support which means no CUDA/RTX for 3D/Video editing artists. ( if not hackintosh )

Doesn't mean much. Ray Tracing is available for AMD cards, just no tensor cores. Video Editing is great on a Mac - and usually preferred. 

6) Outdated UI design / no customization ( everything literally looks identical to 2011 iPhone on 2018 MacOS or for example their Store icon looks like it was made by someone on Fiverr for 5$ )

It looks great, and plenty of customisation. 

Didn't came here to roast apple, but literally this is like mind**ck for me. I am personally attracted to MacOS but when i think about its functionality it just would be huge disadvantage, and the stability of Mac is just a myth ( mby it doesnt have similar stuff to BSOD, but softwares crashes the same just as on windows ).

I don't think you've actually used a Mac at all.