Why people use MacOS?

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i know i already replied a few pages ago, but i have more to say... 

i do all my school stuff on macOS because i can rely on it and work without distractions. 

every time i power up Windows, be it in a virtual machine on my Mac or my gaming pc, it always gives me a lot of pop-ups. it will start screaming at me to set up onedrive even though i don't want onedrive enabled. i use icloud for everything. it will scream at me that the antivirus didn't find any threats. good, don't bother me then. etc. 

with macOS i can just work without distractions. if it wants to update i can just click remind me tonight. it won't scream at me to set up onedrive, because it's not installed. it just won't bother me in general.

I started using Windows again with OOshutup10 which also let's you manage and disable every windows 10 alert, and it barely manages to run any windows background process I couldn't be more happy

1 minute ago, Lukyp said:

I started using Windows again with OOshutup10 which also let's you manage and disable every windows 10 alert, and it barely manages to run any windows background process I couldn't be more happy

the thing is i don't wanna do stuff like that because Microsoft tries to reverse that with every single update so you constantly have to check if it's still enabled. 

but that's just me. if it works for you then great :) 

She/Her

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

every time i power up Windows, be it in a virtual machine on my Mac or my gaming pc, it always gives me a lot of pop-ups. it will start screaming at me to set up onedrive even though i don't want onedrive enabled. i use icloud for everything. it will scream at me that the antivirus didn't find any threats. good, don't bother me then. etc. 

Tbh i can relate to that these notifications is love/hate relationship ( Discord is most annoying sometimes, just for example while im typing this i got like 30 beeps already ), sometimes annoying and sometimes really useful.
Anyway this can be simply fixed by disabling them or partially disabling them based on category. Other than that Windows don't have much of pop-ups at all.

Just now, Exaco said:

Other than that Windows don't have much of pop-ups at all.

ahem. it complains when you first set it up that onedrive isn't enabled even though i told it during the setup thing that i don't want it on. 

it notifies you that it disables notifications when you're gaming. 

etc

and worst of all is that most of them don't end up in the notification center for me. maybe that's a bug but yea... i f**king hate Windows if it wasn't obvious xD 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

ahem. it complains when you first set it up that onedrive isn't enabled even though i told it during the setup thing that i don't want it on. 

it notifies you that it disables notifications when you're gaming. 

etc

and worst of all is that most of them don't end up in the notification center for me. maybe that's a bug but yea... i f**king hate Windows if it wasn't obvious xD 

Honestly i've never seen onedrive notification in windows.
Probably thats why ( still takes less time to configure everything than fix MacOS popups )
 6536f79d9674efa47db29b2b15721d2a.png

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

@Exaco doing that fixes it? thank you, imma try that now :) 

Thats Startup in task manager, just disable all shit u dont use 24/7 and it will be fine.

I used windows for many years. Started using linux in dual boot in 2009. I have also used mac os for about 8-9 months and then became full time linux user.

mac os is slow! Animations make them even slower. Not responsive at all! Even latest macbook with latest and greatest NVMe ssd and latest mac os is slower then my t440s with SATA III ssd and arch + i3 wm configuration. My OS is VERY fast in terms of responsiveness. Blazing fast. I even have changed kernel for responsiveness. It uses only 170 MB RAM on fresh start. Very lightweight. And it does whatever i tell it to. Nothing more!

Mac os is too locked down to the point that i think it's created for dumb users who can't use linux or unix but do not want windows.

Mac os usualy drops support for some hardware (Why would you drop support for hardware that is ralatively new and works great).

Mac os is shit when it comes to 3D performance and games.

It does not come to close to windows when it comes to software support.

Windows (I hate it) does all the things. It has shitload of support from developers. Games, 3D performance, production specific science equipment and medical equipment everything work in windows. It's more open then os that's based on unix. It's funny but this is truth. Yeah it slows down and you need reinstall, but that's not an argument to use mac os. There is linux for that. You can turn on your linux installation and never turn it off. It will work until your hardware dies :D

I worked in earth sciences we had earthquick sensors network all over my countries teritories. Of course we ran linux. Linux is used in scientific researches. I worked there for 3 years and when i came main server had 1448 days uptime. I left that job and the server was not turned off during those 3 years. Imagine if it was windows server :D mac os server? That's funny LOL.

mac os is not needed in any way. Windows can do anything! But if you want stable os that you install only once and it just works you can use linux. Privacy is much better then anywhere else, linux is highly customizable, you can have mac os looks on it, windows looks, you can do anything on it. Thing is mac os is used by people that do not know anything in computers. They are all noobs. They only know how to open browser and create new folder. That is why you must not argue with people that say mac os is better then some other os. They are not tech people. They just do not know. If they new they would not use mac os, PERIOD!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

On 1/25/2019 at 9:22 AM, Exaco said:

On top of that they use Radeon cards that aren't that good compared to Nvidia e.g. RX 580 = GTX 1060~. 

Not sure why you used that example, if you look at current benchmarks the RX 580 and GTX 1060 6GB are equal (1% - 3% average difference). At that point optimization is the only thing that will matter and in respect to Mac OS the RX 580 will do better, Hackintosh or not. The other thing that is more applicable to Mac OS and target users is that AMD gaming GPUs perform better on professional applications than Nvidia, that's an intentional limitation Nvidia does where AMD does not as much because they need that advantage wherever they can.

See here as an example, at no other time would you see an RX 580 matching or beating a 1080 Ti. Not in every test but you can see why it can matter, where the GTX 1080 Ti does not perform well just think how something like a GTX 1060 would. https://techgage.com/article/specviewperf-13-viewport-performance/

The whole Nvidia is faster thing is more hearsay, unless you're in the market for an RTX 2080 Ti or similar 'above high end' GPU.

As a person who's had to support Macs due to their job that has a long list of grips with it, hardware is not one of them. Cost aside if you buy a well spec'd Mac the hardware equivalent Windows computer does not out perform it, there would have to be a rather catastrophic problem with the OS for that to happen.

My personal favorite laptop is around that 2015 era MacBook Pro with Windows on it, near perfection for me. Just don't buy one new ?.

On the whole Final Cut Pro thing, it's actually really good for schools teaching Media Studies. Apple VPP price for FCP is excellent and the application is great for first time users/students. I had schools that have had both FCP and Adobe CC preference FCP simply because it's easier to teach and students get usable results out of it quicker, it's more satisfying and less time is spent learning computer skills and more time is used doing the actual creative arts aspect of the course.

Also FYI generally speaking Mac vs Windows topics aren't actually allowed in the Community Standards, they spark way to much arguments and turn toxic really fast. To some people Mac is like pineapple on pizza, in that people both like it and hate it but we shouldn't actually care because neither side could make us eat/not eat if we didn't want to.

On 1/24/2019 at 8:43 PM, Exaco said:

1) MacOS has bad support for software
2) No Gaming or just few games

Not everyone cares about games, and there's sufficient software support for users and professionals alike.

3) Less piracy ( good for some and bad for other )

That's illegal, not a feature.

4) Poor performance ( if not hackintosh )

That has nothing to do with the OS.

5) No Nvidia support which means no CUDA/RTX for 3D/Video editing artists. ( if not hackintosh )

RTX only just came out and virtually nothing supports it. As for CUDA, you can do mostly the same things with OpenCL. Not to mention very few editing programs do much with gpu acceleration anyway.

6) Outdated UI design / no customization ( everything literally looks identical to 2011 iPhone on 2018 MacOS or for example their Store icon looks like it was made by someone on Fiverr for 5$ )

Outdated? What about Windows, which has had the same layout since windows 3.1 and is a pain in the butt to customize in the slightest? At least macOS has a decent dark theme that works across the whole system now.

I don't like MacOS or Macs, but the reasons you've listed don't make sense.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

image.thumb.png.e1a45e07d7cdfb447b0815134800d85f.png

This is the only way someone can get me using Windows 10, since I know this program I don't have any annoying situations and/or background activity, updates when I have work to do.

I would be using MacOS if the hackintosh AMD kernel wasn't bugged with NVIDIA gpu's and Linux if it had proper vendor support

On 2/4/2019 at 4:27 PM, PacketMan said:

Windows has never been cheap)

You don't need the DVD/USB + Support since you wont call Microsoft anyway for helping you to install DirectX or find where Control Panel is. 
You can get OEM key for like 3-6$ ( which is fully functional windows just has no call support ). 

@Sauron "As for CUDA, you can do mostly the same things with OpenCL. Not to mention very few editing programs do much with gpu acceleration anyway."

For a bigger picture:

OpenCL:

AMD ProRender ( very few ppl uses ).
Indigo Renderer ( very few ppl uses ).
Adobe products
+ anything w/ GPU acceleration ( btw Nvidia also has OpenCL )
Blender Cycles + Eevee ( popular, but not much used in professional works )

CUDA ( Exclusives  ) 
Octane ( widely used )
Redshift ( widely used even in film )
V-Ray GPU Next ( widely used, not as much as Redshift imo )
FStorm ( used mostly among Architects )
DaVinci Resolve ( one of the most powerful editing/compositing softwares since Fusion got introduced, so it basically became Nuke+Premiere in one ).
OptiX Denoiser ( very popular, also included in many softwares ).
*Upcoming Arnold GPU ( currently its Industry standard imo as CPU renderer, but GPU version is in development ).

Anyway there's many Mac users in this industry and almost all of them use Nvidia cards with their MacPro's, iMac's etc.

3 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Adobe products
+ anything w/ GPU acceleration ( btw Nvidia also has OpenCL )

That and final cut pro are all most "creative" mac users care about.

4 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Anyway there's many Mac users in this industry and almost all of them use Nvidia cards with their MacPro's, iMac's etc.

So it's not true you can't use CUDA.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

16 minutes ago, Sauron said:

That and final cut pro are all most "creative" mac users care about.

So it's not true you can't use CUDA.

Yes you can, but if its not hackintosh then you simply overpay alot by ridiculous amount - getting less performance for x3 the price. Unless you can live with weak CPU and low amount of RAM ( MacBook ) + eGPU then mby its not that bad.

Just now, Exaco said:

but then you simply overpay alot by ridiculous amount

Not a problem of the OS

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 2/4/2019 at 9:20 AM, mate_mate91 said:

Thing is mac os is used by people that do not know anything in computers. They are all noobs. They only know how to open browser and create new folder. That is why you must not argue with people that say mac os is better then some other os. They are not tech people. They just do not know. If they new they would not use mac os, PERIOD!

howtogetbanned.exe

on a serious note do you even realize what you are talking about? 

She/Her

Mac os is too locked down to the point that i think it's created for dumb users who can't use linux or unix but do not want windows.

it's more like users that want an OS that isn't Windows but also don't have the time to manually install shared library's just to make an application work. 

arch + i3 wm configuration.

that will never come close to how user friendly and streamlined macOS is. 

My OS is VERY fast in terms of responsiveness. Blazing fast.

of course it is, but it looks like crap, you have to use keyboard shortcuts to do anything and it does not have all the fluid animations macOS does. 

if you like using an OS like that sure, but you are a very small minority.

She/Her

On 2/4/2019 at 1:53 PM, leadeater said:

My personal favorite laptop is around that 2015 era MacBook Pro with Windows on it, near perfection for me.

the problem with Windows on a MacBook is that the trackpad drivers are crap. but i've only ever used Windows on my 2012 MBP... 

do you notice it as well? or is it just me?

She/Her

tl;dr, macOS is great for media production and web development due to the wide selection of amazing Mac only apps. macOS and to a larger extent all Apple devices are fantastic for accessibility. macOS sucks for gaming. I use macOS as my main OS but I still use Windows and am very familiar with it. Sorry for the long essay, the words kept coming!

To address OP's points...

I can take this two ways.

1. Apple providing support for macOS. I'd assume the majority of the people reading this forum are tech people. We understand software and hardware support is the only thing we really need. For the less tech inclined, macOS is incredibly intuitive but, if you need help with it, Apple has many free Today at Apple classes, running a day, every day, at all of their stores.

From Apple:

Bring your Mac and join us for an introductory session. We’ll show you how to navigate your Mac, set up your system preferences, and explore native apps such as Safari and Mail. Whether you’re brand new to Mac or just need a refresher, you’ll learn the basics and even discover a few of our favorite tips.

2. Availability of apps. There are thousands of Mac only apps, plenty I use every day and can't live without. And a lot of them allow me to customize my Mac to work the way I want it to.

There are more games on macOS than you might think, albeit not a not and not many good ones. If you already have a PC, Steam in home Streaming is fantastic. Nvidia's GeForce Now and other cloud based gaming platforms are also fantastic provided your internet is solid. Bootcamp works okay but, if you need to cut out all lag and latency and need 240 hertz, then just build a PC and throw Windows on it. Microsoft created DirectX for a reason.

Piracy is bad as a whole but it's there, in spades. That's all imma say.

I have yet to have a Mac with bad performance. The thing people seem to forget is Apple has complete control over software and hardware. Yes, my iPhone only has 4GB of ram, because it only needs 4. More ram does not equal more better. Apple's software is so well optimized for the hardware they choose, it can fly. From experience, a legit Mac and a hackintosh with similar specs will preform about the same.

5) No Nvidia support which means no CUDA/RTX for 3D/Video editing artists. ( if not hackintosh )

True however, macOS does support AMD graphics. Adobe's support of CUDA over the years has been a mess. They added support for Apple's Metal graphics engine, which kicks butt! FCPX can take full advantage of an AMD GPU and blast Premiere out of the water. There may be other apps that can use CUDA, but I'm not aware of them. As for RTX, as I'm typing this (to the best of my knowledge) the games still aren't here so...

6) Outdated UI design / no customization ( everything literally looks identical to 2011 iPhone on 2018 MacOS or for example their Store icon looks like it was made by someone on Fiverr for 5$ )

Design is subjective. Apple updated the iPhones design to "flatten all the things" in 2013 (not 2011) and didn't bring the design to macOS until the next year with Yosemite. There is also plenty of customization. Sure the basic stuff, show/hide dock and menu bar, move/resize dock, change minimize anamation, etc. But the we enter the world of third party apps. Hate the dock but love the Windows taskbar? uBar. Menu bar have too many icons? Vanilla. Want to quickly see system stats? iStats. Don't like how spotlight looks/functions? Try LaunchBar or Alfred. The list goes on and on and on...

I've been using macOS as my main OS for the past 10+ years. Growing up, I used Windows. My school had a few Mac's but most of the computers where Windows. For some reason I liked the Mac a bit more and the younger, less informed me thought that Mac's don't get viruses. So I eventually saved enough money to buy a MacBook. Fast forward to now and I am heavily invested into the Apple ecosystem.

I run a small media production business, so editing videos/photos and web development are daily tasks for me. I started editing video in Adobe Premiere CS5 and thought it was a fantastic program. My video production class in high school used Premiere as well. When Adobe came out with Creative Cloud, I jumped at it. After a few updates, I started to get frustrated with editing. I clearly remember editing a short video for school, a project that should have taken 3 hour. It ended up taking over 8 hours. I removed Premiere and switched over to Final Cut Pro X.

FCPX is an editor you either love or hate. If you love it, you will fly through editing on just about any Mac made by Apple. (Ignoring Hackintosh but if it's built with a recent Intel CPU with QuickSync, it will be just as fast) Apple has complete control over hardware and software which allows FCPX to preform better than Premiere ever could. Just for some perspective, I also do motion graphic work in After Effects. AE doesn't even seem to notice my iMac Pro's GPU, will only use 2 cores, and maybe 6 GB of ram. It's painful. I remade the same 4k 60fps project in Apple Motion (moving text and a particle system, all with motion blur) and it played back in near real-time, no ram preview. Some people say that FCPX isn't a valid reason for someone to choose macOS because it's a joke of an editor. I implore you to look at Taran's list of Adobe Bugs... 

Even using keyboards as macros like Taren does.  RIM a quick test, an app, with a gui, let's me detect when I press "A" on one keyboard vs "A" on another and act on the input. It is extremely powerful and doesn't require any knowledge of coding or special hardware. Features like that are great for power users but even better for individuals with disabilities.

macOS is lightyears ahead of Windows in terms of accessibility features. VoiceOver, Apple's implementation of a screen reader, completely changes the way your device works so individuals with visual impairments can still use it. Windows does have a screen reader however, VoiceOver works across all Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Watch, TV, Mac), has a wide selection of high quality voices, and has so many options it's almost overwhelming. And that's just one feature. Braille support, on screen keyboard, type to Siri, switch control. The list goes on.

The accessibility features are so extensive, someone who can't use their arms and legs and uses a wheelchair, can still edit a video in Final Cut.

There are plenty of Mac only apps that I use every day that I can't live without. CodeKit, Sketch, and Yoink to name a few. Even Apple's default Mail.app and Safari. Yes, I use Safari not Google Chrome for mainly two reasons. 1, performance and 2, security and privacy, which I guess brings me to my next point.

More recently, I have become more conscious about my personal data. Facebook and Google continue to misuse data while Apple is very adamant about not wanting anything to do with my personal data. The amount of telemetry data Windows sends back to Microsoft is alarming. macOS sends back some info, I'm sure, but it's not near the amount that Windows does, and it's also anonymized.

I am by no means a gamer. But if I where serious about gaming, I'd go and build myself a nice PC, with Windows. There isn't a perfect OS or tool for every job, just the tool that works best for you. And for what I do every day, macOS takes the cake. That said, I don't hate Windows. I do use it, quite often. I've found Windows Server to be fantastic for running services such as Plex. It's easier to manage than macOS and is built for server type stuff. macOS server has become a joke. Just because I mainly use Mac, does not mean I hate don' know anything about Windows.

5 minutes ago, nickwelsh said:

macOS is lightyears ahead of Windows in terms of accessibility features. VoiceOver, Apple's implementation of a screen reader, completely changes the way your device works so individuals with visual impairments can still use it. Windows does have a screen reader however, VoiceOver works across all Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Watch, TV, Mac), has a wide selection of high quality voices, and has so many options it's almost overwhelming. And that's just one feature. Braille support, on screen keyboard, type to Siri, switch control. The list goes on.

you forgot the amazing magnifier built into macOS. 

She/Her

You can turn on your linux installation and never turn it off. It will work until your hardware dies :D

or until your nvidia drivers F up causing a black screen and nothing more. 

i had to 'fix' my friends thinkpad a while back. he told me it only booted to a black screen. it has Kubuntu installed by the way. the fix was to boot it up into the recovery terminal thing, and uninstall the nvidia drivers. then it would work. 

we even tried installing older nvidia drivers, resulting in the same problem. 

She/Her

6 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

the problem with Windows on a MacBook is that the trackpad drivers are crap. but i've only ever used Windows on my 2012 MBP... 

do you notice it as well? or is it just me?

It's still good compared to most Windows laptops, which is both good while amazingly bad at the same time (that it being half broke is still good for a Windows laptop).

On 1/24/2019 at 12:43 PM, Exaco said:

Hello guys, i don't get why people ( or you ) use Mac OS?
If your first computer was from Apple i get it, but there's some that does Hackintosh stuff or switch from Windows etc. I don't get that, because:

Didn't came here to roast apple, but literally this is like mind**ck for me. I am personally attracted to MacOS but when i think about its functionality it just would be huge disadvantage, and the stability of Mac is just a myth ( mby it doesnt have similar stuff to BSOD, but softwares crashes the same just as on windows ).

1. No it doesn't? MacOS has more support for software now than it ever has. Everything you can do on a PC you can do on a mac. Many games are even being released for mac, YOU just don't see it.

2. See point 1.

3. That's because MacOS isn't a $100 operating system. Or, back in the windows XP days, not a $300 operating system. Apple smartly figured "Hey, if we want people to upgrade to the latest MacOS for security reasons, we should just give it away for free or very cheap. Upgrading when the new OS is only $30 is a no brainer. That was back in OS 10.6 I think? Ever since then I'm pretty sure every MacOS version has been free.

4. Uhm.... no? My mac performs a hell of a lot better than my PCs, and I never have to worry about it slowing down over time.

5. Uhm.... no? Looking at my iMac with an NVIDIA GTX 780 in it.....

6. Ha, no. hahahahahahahahaha Literally the dumbest thing you said. No customization? What is this? The 90s? If you want macos skins, all you have to do is google and you'll find them. There are PLENTY of FREE customization programs for mac. You want a different style dock? You got it. You want a different style menu bar? You got it. You want different colored windows and menu bars? Hey that's already built in.

Just because MacOS didn't follow in windows 8's footsteps doesn't mean it's "outdated." I think MacOS looks and operates 100x better than windows. Apple is keeping their "touch" OS separate from their "Desktop" OS, which is an extremely smart idea. As we all see how it turned out when windows tried to merge the two. 

Talk about outdated.

Have you seen the similarities between windows 10 and windows 95? I see a start menu in the lower left.... I see a clock in the lower right.... I see icons on the desktop...

What has windows 10 added that is actually "good" over windows XP? Ads in your start menu? Yeah that's really nice, I appreciate that. One registry tweak later and they're gone. Spying on you? Yeah that's fun, how bout no.

MacOS is superior to Windows 10 in all ways but specific software compatibility. Period. As long as you're willing to use a different software that does the same thing, you'll be fine. All the major programs work for both anyway. 

6 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Talk about outdated.

Have you seen the similarities between windows 10 and windows 95? I see a start menu in the lower left.... I see a clock in the lower right.... I see icons on the desktop...

What has windows 10 added that is actually "good" over windows XP? Ads in your start menu? Yeah that's really nice, I appreciate that. One registry tweak later and they're gone. Spying on you? Yeah that's fun, how bout no.

MacOS is superior to Windows 10 in all ways but specific software compatibility. Period. As long as you're willing to use a different software that does the same thing, you'll be fine. All the major programs work for both anyway. 

Let me counter that.. 

Why MacOS looks like my iPhone then? I want a fkn computer where i can do anything i want including messing with the OS not a mobile phone on 25+ inch screen. MacOS UI/design is just ridiculous. You remember the BlackBerry OS? MacOS just feels like that compared to android ( as if android were windows ). 
What i am saying is that MacOS feels cheap and super basic. ( well, maybe thats the point so even my grandpa could use it ).

"MacOS is superior to Windows 10 in all ways but specific software compatibility."
BbQa1kB.jpg
NO. Have you ever used Windows 10 for longer than 1week?
Fun Fact: MacOS even doesn't support the apps that was made for MacOS if its just SLIGHTLY outdated.
Fun Fact 2: My friend works with iMac Pro and Maya and he keeps cursing it, because it keeps crashing for no reason, so good compatibility there.
Fun Fact 3: Linux is the boss which is slightly better than Windows and miles better than MacOS. 

About the similarities i don't care, honestly the legendary Windows 7 is garbage for me compared to Win10, Win95 is even worse.

"What has windows 10 added that is actually "good" over windows XP?"
That would be long list. It's basically completely new OS with some legacy tools left. 

Imho Windows is like sandbox you can do whatever you can think of and make it function in any way or even completely redesign it to your liking, while MacOS is what it is and ure not allowed to modify its functionality.

MacOS dock doesn't even have separator, while mine in Win10 has ( 3rd party app - RocketDock ) and it makes alot easier when you want to sort app categories e.g. internet, softwares, media etc.
08ebc79dd2a5b333fb74ac9ae17f579b.png

Dark theme? No problem:
7198ad03804bd80fab269375911ce5d5.png

15 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

or until your nvidia drivers F up causing a black screen and nothing more. 

i had to 'fix' my friends thinkpad a while back. he told me it only booted to a black screen. it has Kubuntu installed by the way. the fix was to boot it up into the recovery terminal thing, and uninstall the nvidia drivers. then it would work. 

we even tried installing older nvidia drivers, resulting in the same problem. 

If you were good at linux you would know nvidia does not work well with linux. Hell it does not even work at all in latest mac OS :P Because nvidia is crap company! That is why linux creater said "Nvidia fuck you". Just disable nvidia gpu or tinker with it to get it working but do not use that as argument. This is not linux fault. Nvidia won't open drivers and they also won't create good drivers for linux!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.