Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Display suddenly (Super Urgent)

Go to solution Solved by Xaniene,

my roomate figured it out, thank you all so much for the help.... Super fast responses you guys where amazing.

Some how he has magic hands.

Ok first and foremost I have been working with computers for about 10 years.. While I don't tend to work with hardware all that much I know how to insert ram, reset cmos,short the pins etc... 

Any-case, So yesterday night I biked over to a friends house to help him with a fps issue with GTA5, he was getting 4 fps, So I did all the basic trouble shooting and noticed the onboard graphic was being used and not the 1060 3gigs that was in the system, (pc was displaying and working flawlessly) I unhooked everything took it outside dedusted it and brought it in and just for extra safety reseated the two ram and the gpu just to ensure they where in there firmly

Then I plugged the HDMI into the graphic card, No display.. so I tried the second port, No display, Tried going back to onboard, No display...

I then proceeded to rotate ram, silver slots, black slots, 1 ram, alternate ram, Vga Cable, Different hdmi cables, different monitors, even hooked up a ps4 to the monitor to see if it got display

Pulled the graphic card out tried, checked all cables thinking maybe dedusted caused something to slide out or something, Everything was seated, I tried dispersing the electricity, no luck as well, the system doesn't seem to have the beep thing plugged in, the light on the mobo is green, the fans spin, all the leds light up, the keyboard leds light up so I think its booting up just fine, its a DD4 System.. graphic card drivers where installed, the pc had restarted multiple times just fine before I unplugged it to dedust it

I even went as far as to pull the cmos battery, check the heatsink on the cpu, reseat all the ram and gpu, even tried shorting the two pins for a clear

This is pretty urgent that I find a solution or at least the problem before the 25, his mom gets back home and I had permission to work on by her and her son and I HAVE NEVER Seen this happen, I can't even get into bios please for the love of god someone save me, or else I could be looking at a very angry mother, potentially having to give them my computer to 'make this right' I don't even know how to begin to try to explain this because the son already thinks "I blew the pc" that "pcs just don't randomly stop working " (cough) and we all know that I will get blamed since my hands where on it, (I know for a fact nothing I did could have caused this, I do this stuff almost daily and use a professional grade deduster thats pc friendly)

The pc is 
2 ram totaling 16gigs
Mobo is a h170 pro
Cpu is a I something skylake 4nm or something
1 data something ssd and 1 tb I believe WD?
They threw away the box so I don't know the full specs.
Windows 10 64bit, no idea what bios, I can't get that far to check...

Pc was prebuilt by IbuypowerPC, Have until 25th 1am in the morning to figure this out, PLEASE HELP

Go into bios and check that the option is set to either automatically detect the output of video, or to select only dedicated graphics.

*edit* whats stopping you from getting into bios?

Also, inform the client that technology has a wierd way of throwing a cog into anyones wonderful stress free life.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

As my post states, I am not seeing Bios, I am seeing a "No signal detected" believe me if I could get into bios I would have done that already.

Too add to this the above post has a list of everything I've already tried, the PC Was "Working fine" before I unhooked it to dedust it and double check the seating just for incase something wiggled lose when I moved it outside to use my datavac deduster...

I rotated hdmi cables ( tried 2 different ones) they both work on the ps4 with the same monitor and give display, gave all hdmi ports on the computer a try including the VGA, insured monitor input was correct... I'm completely freaking out because theirs a good chance I may have to give up my own pc to 'compromise on this' or hire someone or something... and i legitmently can't afford to do this. and I have until tomorrow to get this figured out before his mother comes home and I have to try to 'figure out how to explain to her.

1 minute ago, Xaniene said:

As my post states, I am not seeing Bios, I am seeing a "No signal detected" believe me if I could get into bios I would have done that already.

Ah, I regretably brain farted... with no display, why would you ? my bad @Xaniene

Have you tried removing the graphics card, and rerunning off the onboard? 

p.s. Don't loan anyone a personal PC. I am a technician by trade, and have an entire stack of PC's that I loan to clients before a replacement is purchased. If it's new enough, maybe thiers is under warranty. Just remind them that the original issue had to do with graphics to begin with. Just like cars, as soon as you start tearing things apart to fix one probblem, many more can start to surface until soon enough it feels like youve just replaced the whole damn car ?

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/
3 minutes ago, G33k 4 L1F3 said:

Ah, I regretably brain farted... with no display, why would you ? my bad @Xaniene

Have you tried removing the graphics card, and rerunning off the onboard? 

p.s. Don't loan anyone a personal PC. I am a technician by trade, and have an entire stack of PC's that I loan to clients before a replacement is purchased. If it's new enough, maybe thiers is under warranty. Just remind them that the original issue had to do with graphics to begin with. Just like cars, as soon as you start tearing things apart to fix one probblem, many more can start to surface until soon enough it feels like youve just replaced the whole damn car ?

Yes I removed the graphic card (As stated in my OP post, sorry about the rambling in it)  and tried rerunning on onboard, the issue legitmently only started after I took it outside dedusted and reseated the gpu/and 2 ram sticks, thats all I did

Sadly I'm not talking about "Loaning" As far as They would be concerned I'd be held accountable for this... I don't have the funds to pay for a fix or a new pc I'm disabled and just happen to be good with computers.. I told my friend "Worst case you can just have my pc and everything with it..." because the last thing I want is a lawyer after me or something.. 

Just now, Xaniene said:

Yes I removed the graphic card (As stated in my OP post, sorry about the rambling in it)  and tried rerunning on onboard, the issue legitmently only started after I took it outside dedusted and reseated the gpu/and 2 ram sticks, thats all I did

I admit I quickly read and reread trying to piece everything together on this issue. 

I would try and keep it simple. and try not to sweat so much about this. Hell, use me as a reference and I would be happy to calm your clients down.

If it all started when you took it apart. I would begin with the basics. Remove all but one stick of RAM, remove graphics card, replug into onboard, and remove the CMOS battery. One extra step you need to do with clearing the BIOS is there is a jumper known as the CLRTC. here is a pic on where it is on that motherboard below. after following the below image steps, you should see something. If not, your looking at a bad motherboard or similar hardware failure. That is to say we cross our T's and dot our i's and make sure the input is selected correctly on the monitor.

If you do see something, begin slowly re introducing hardware onto the motherboard. each time you insert a ram stick, reboot. when you get the the graphics card, ensure that all power cables are inserted for the GPU. Also ensure you specify the BIOS option for dedicated graphics.

Hope this helps somewhat.

image.png.bfe9e26baa000b6e9b6532507bfd17ab.png

Some of these things I'm about to say haven't been said (as far as I remember) and they're simple but might as well make sure instead of assuming it was done.

Try reseating the CPU

Reseating power cables

Maybe grab a different Gpu or RAM 

What I'm thinking of doing is taking parts out and putting them into a different PC to deduct what is the problem.

Like is said these are simple and you may have already thought of these but I can't assume anything.

CPU: Intel I5-7500 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master ML240

Motherboard: ASRock B250M PRO 4

Memory: 16GB Patriot Viper Elite

Gpu: Asus Dual 1060 3GB

Storage: Corsair 120GB M.2 NVME

500GB Samsung 860 EVO

1TB WD Blue

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+Bronze

Case: Phanteks P350X

Monitors: HP Omen 25in 144hz

and some 25in Acer

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX RGB

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro

Headphones= VModa Crossfade Wireless(but used wired)

Speakers: Some janky speakers I jerry-rigged

1 minute ago, G33k 4 L1F3 said:

I admit I quickly read and reread trying to piece everything together on this issue. 

I would try and keep it simple. and try not to sweat so much about this. Hell, use me as a reference and I would be happy to calm your clients down.

If it all started when you took it apart. I would begin with the basics. Remove all but one stick of RAM, remove graphics card, replug into onboard, and remove the CMOS battery. One extra step you need to do with clearing the BIOS is there is a jumper known as the CLRTC. here is a pic on where it is on that motherboard below. after following the below image steps, you should see something. If not, your looking at a bad motherboard or similar hardware failure. That is to say we cross our T's and dot our i's and make sure the input is selected correctly on the monitor.

If you do see something, begin slowly re introducing hardware onto the motherboard. each time you insert a ram stick, reboot. when you get the the graphics card, ensure that all power cables are inserted for the GPU. Also ensure you specify the BIOS option for dedicated graphics.

Hope this helps somewhat.

image.png.bfe9e26baa000b6e9b6532507bfd17ab.png

Sadly you may want to re-read my post again.. I get I didn't clear type it (Due to be freaking)

But I legitmently did all this (not joking) I got there around 6PM yesterday night and didn't leave until 4:30AM the next day... I only got home like a hour or so ago...

I tried all that and no display, I even shorten the pin like the manual said, No idea if it worked cause I have zero sound or notices from the pc.. for whatever reason they didn't put a beeper thingy in the pc...I'm going to call Ibuypower pc and hope they will just at least talk to me about this and see what we can do, I'm legitmently terrified and after this I think I'm quitting pc repairs including virus removals which is what I specialize in...

I'll give you a clear list of what I've done so we don't accidentally keep going back and fourth.
Dedusted system and fans, insured fans didn't spin past their limits by controlling with a finger to let it spin 'gently' to knock dust off, Datavac Deduster used
https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500P-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001U899HQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548342967&sr=8-1&keywords=datavac+duster

I tried the ram thing, took one ram out, alteranted it, tried changing slots etc no luck
Took cmos out, no luck
screwdriver to the two pins no luck
Took gpu out and tried onboard using the HDMI slot and VGA
Put GPU back in, tried both slots, vga, and hdmi on onboard no luck
Checked seating of ram cards, took them out and repeatedly stuck them back in making sure the ddr4 ram was seated firmly
checked cpu heat sink ensured it was firm 
checked all cables, even deteched some to re-attach them, everything 'looked' like it was pluged in and not slid/knocked lose from the deduster
I spent hours googling and talking to other pc builders though telegram and discord, tried all their suggestions
Changed monitors
changed HDMI cables
Changed hdmi ports on the two montiors (different slots)
Checked input repeatedly
pluged ps4 into monitor, got a screen so I know its working with the hdmi/monitor
PC Powers up, looks/feels like its booting, LEDS on fans light up, keyboard LCD lights up but no numlock lights probably due to driver based keyboard
Nvidia drivers where installed before hand, I DDUed the old drivers and reinstalled it

@Fuzzleworth1 100% Agreed. I know from working with PC hardware for 8 years that I constantly assume the worst, when in reality it is always the simple things that cause the most stress haha.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzleworth1 said:

Some of these things I'm about to say haven't been said (as far as I remember) and they're simple but might as well make sure instead of assuming it was done.

Try reseating the CPU

Reseating power cables

Maybe grab a different Gpu or RAM 

What I'm thinking of doing is taking parts out and putting them into a different PC to deduct what is the problem.

Like is said these are simple and you may have already thought of these but I can't assume anything.

I do not have the ability to do this other then the GPU none of our systems here at the house are DDR4 systems... sadly.

@Xaniene? Unless there is the ability to try other hardware, it sounds to me like something went bad. It happens. Try to stay calm when you explain it to the client. They don't know computers like you do, and when I handle a berating client, I inform them about alternatives and understanding that I am there to help them to the end. I would definitely ask them when the PC was purchased and let them know you would contact ibuypowerpc to make things right.  I'm sure you will get to the bottom of this, but without testing with spare hardware, seems the only explanation is that it is a hardware malfunction. 

I wish I could be more helpful.

4 hours ago, G33k 4 L1F3 said:

@Xaniene? Unless there is the ability to try other hardware, it sounds to me like something went bad. It happens. Try to stay calm when you explain it to the client. They don't know computers like you do, and when I handle a berating client, I inform them about alternatives and understanding that I am there to help them to the end. I would definitely ask them when the PC was purchased and let them know you would contact ibuypowerpc to make things right.  I'm sure you will get to the bottom of this, but without testing with spare hardware, seems the only explanation is that it is a hardware malfunction. 

I wish I could be more helpful.

This is precisely what I thought happen, I honestly think something on the motherboard poped or blewed, when I sat the pc down I did notice a sound of clinging that wasn't there when I picked it up/sat it down outside.. i'm going to call ibuypowerpc the moment they open and plead with them to talk to me

I don't know how his mom is going to react, i'm trying to fix it before that step... 

15 minutes ago, Xaniene said:

This is precisely what I thought happen, I honestly think something on the motherboard poped or blewed, when I sat the pc down I did notice a sound of clinging that wasn't there when I picked it up/sat it down outside.. i'm going to call ibuypowerpc the moment they open and plead with them to talk to me

I don't know how his mom is going to react, i'm trying to fix it before that step... the son was already flipping his cookies, wanting to punch holes in the wall, slamming doors, etc I don't blame him this is a pretty serious deal..

Its...a computer. Dudes got some serious addictions for flipping out over something that can easily be replaced. lol

21 minutes ago, G33k 4 L1F3 said:

Its...a computer. Dudes got some serious addictions for flipping out over something that can easily be replaced. lol

sadly not easily replaced by most of us.. I'm struggilng to fix my own pc issues from old/dying parts I need to move to DDr4 and get a ryzen or intel equilivent cpu...

i think the pc they have is like 1,5k to 2k give or take just from the specs, i'd be losing my cool too if something happen to my pc, since its sadly what I do everyday x.x being disabled sucks your home all the time.

49 minutes ago, Xaniene said:

I don't know how his mom is going to react, i'm trying to fix it before that step... the son was already flipping his cookies, wanting to punch holes in the wall, slamming doors, etc I don't blame him this is a pretty serious deal..

I know you've tried some of these but, personally I'd go in the below sort of order.

1. I would try and find out if you can figure out what that noise was. If there is something metallic loose, it could be shorting the board somewhere.
  2. Try a different HDMI/DP cable (whatever it is you are using - that could have died for some reason)
  3. Disconnect any drives connected (to eliminate anything there - unlikely but you never know) & take out their GPU and plug in to the onboard. Disconnect basically everything that is a peripheral or additional to the motherboard (wireless card if any etc.)
  4. Reseat the CPU in the socket - while it shouldn't have moved, you never know if something moved a little while you were dusting it out
  5. Remove all of the cables from the motherboard and then replug them all firmly, double checking they are all in the correct place, just in case something looks in, but actually isn't., Also if it's a modular PSU, check all the cables are plugged in firmly at that side too.
  6. Use 1 stick of RAM at this point (in the relevant slot, according to the manual)
  7. Reset CMOS
  8. If it still doesn't work, try a different stick of RAM & reset the CMOS again
  9. If you are still not getting any signal, try using you own GPU and see if you can get signal out of that. Also, if it doesnt work in the current slot, try another one if the board has more than one PCIE slot. Reset CMOS before restarting.

1 minute ago, IntMD said:

I know you've tried some of these but, personally I'd go in the below sort of order (particularly number 2 as it doesn't look as though you've tried a different display cable?).

1. I would try and find out if you can figure out what that noise was. If there is something metallic loose, it could be shorting the board somewhere.
  2. Try a different HDMI/DP cable (whatever it is you are using - that could have died for some reason)
  3. Disconnect any drives connected (to eliminate anything there - unlikely but you never know) & take out their GPU and plug in to the onboard. Disconnect basically everything that is a peripheral or additional to the motherboard (wireless card if any etc.)
  4. Reseat the CPU in the socket - while it should, you never know if something moved a little while you were dusting it out
  5. Remove all of the cables from the motherboard and then replug them all firmly, double checking they are all in the correct place, just in case something looks in, but actually isn't., Also if it's a modular PSU, check all the cables are plugged in firmly at that side too.
  6. Use 1 stick of RAM at this point (in the relevant slot, according to the manual)
  7. Reset CMOS
  8. If it still doesn't work, try a different stick of RAM & reset the CMOS again
  9. If you are still not getting any signal, try using you own GPU and see if you can get signal out of that. Also, if it doesnt work in the current slot, try another one if the board has more than one PCIE slot. Reset CMOS before restarting.

1. I'll try locating that noise when I go back over there, I haven't slept so i'm super exhausted
2. as my op states, I have tried this, even went a step further and tried two monitors, and a ps4 hooked up to all slots of the HDMi's on both monitors with no problem (both hdmi cables and all monitor hdmi slots)
3. oi, I don't know if he'll let me go this far but I can see..
4. I have not fully reseated the cpu but I doubt it would have moved, when I checked the wiggleness it barely moved, not sure if he'll let me yank it off
5. Tried this
6. Tried this as well.
7. done and even shorted the two pins
8. Tried this, not sure if I cleared cmos when doing this part though
9. it has another pci-e slot I think it looks like one but when I tried to put the GPU in it it just refused to go in properly

Some things I noticed, the ram was very diffcuilt to get out, and gave us a ton of issues re-seating, friend of mine said if I have to manually pull the lever over DDR4 ram somethings wrong, that it should clip into place on its own due to the design, but that wasn't the case with the Ram at all!, it was super finicky etc. 

7 minutes ago, Xaniene said:

Some things I noticed, the ram was very diffcuilt to get out, and gave us a ton of issues re-seating, friend of mine said if I have to manually pull the lever over DDR4 ram somethings wrong, that it should clip into place on its own due to the design, but that wasn't the case with the Ram at all!, it was super finicky etc. 

Damnit, you got me before I reread and noticed about the cables and tried to ninja edit. :)

The DDR going in - it can be a bit like that sometimes (it should at the very least begin to close the latche(s) and not stay fully open), I'd definitely remove it again and make sure you apply even pressure on either end of the RAM, and sometimes a fair bit more than you think would be necessary.

Also, try his GPU in your system, if that works you can eliminate the GPU being the problem.

1 minute ago, IntMD said:

Damnit, you got me before I reread and noticed about the cables and tried to ninja edit. :)

The DDR going in - it can be a bit like that sometimes (it should at the very least begin to close the latche(s) and not stay fully open), I'd definitely remove it again and make sure you apply even pressure on either end of the RAM, and sometimes a fair bit more than you think would be necessary.

I thought that was the case and repeatedly re-seated the ram, my boyfriend did as well just for good messures, i'm going to call ibuy when they open and probably call techs around the town and see if anyone will give me a free diagnoises

15 minutes ago, Xaniene said:

I thought that was the case and repeatedly re-seated the ram, my boyfriend did as well just for good messures, i'm going to call ibuy when they open and probably call techs around the town and see if anyone will give me a free diagnoises

Worth a shot at least calling around and seeing. They might at least have a few more parts they'd be able to check with. Also, that board definitely has at least 2 PCIE slots from what I can see.

my roomate figured it out, thank you all so much for the help.... Super fast responses you guys where amazing.

Some how he has magic hands.