The Fastest Xbox of All Time

nicklmg

Hello there,

I have stumbled upon the video about "Patrice" and because I'm very unhappy with my current PC-case (it's nearly falling apart beacause of frequent opening and switching components) I've decided to realize a similar Project.

I don't want to start until I have all the parts at hand. I've mentioned that most of you are using a Noctua NH-L9 (37mm height incl. fan) for CPU cooling but I'm very concerned about temps (want to use my i7-6700K with 91W TDP and don't want to spend money for a new CPU). So I'm wondering if a NH-L9x65 (65mm incl. fan) or even a NH-L12S (70mm, bottom mounted fan) would fit too. I have no idea about the clearance we have inside the case and I'm neither trusting my measurement nor my eyballing skills. 😅

For Airflow I wanted to cut some vents between the "ribs" of the top, so this shouldn't make any problems.

And of course: Thanks to all for sharing your infos about your builds. Really great work! 👍

Edit: OK I have torn the XBox apart and took a ruler. The space seems to be 80mm from bottom to top. I have estimated the height of the Mainboard + stand offs + CPU to be around 15mm so the available space for a cooler will be 65mm perhaps even 70mm.

I've done some research and the Alpenföhn Black Ridge with an Noctua Fan will be the best option for air cooling in this tiny case.

But at the moment I'm also searching for a waterblock for my 2070 Super mini. Combined with the Alphacool Esibaer LT and one the really compact radiators Alphacool has to offer, this could be a great alternative to air cooling. The plan will be to place the graphics card directly above the Mainboard and position the PSU outside of the case. The available free room on the sides of the case can house a small radiator and some fans. Placing the PSU outside is optically not an ideal solution but I think this will be a bearable compromise.

What do you think?

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2020 at 6:44 AM, M3tuS said:

Placing the PSU outside is optically not an ideal solution but I think this will be a bearable compromise.

What do you think?

I'm using the Noctua NH-L9a on my Ryzen 5 2600, that improved my temps greatly. I also upgraded to a GTX 1650 OC LP.

There are external power supplies that can run a bundle to a daughter board inside the case, that might keep your setup clean, but I didn't feel it respected the spirit of a sleeper build.

I reverse engineered the controller port bracket and had a buddy print it out for me. I had to trim it a bit before installation. If anyone is interested, I will rev it up and share the STL file.

IMG_20200815_083748.thumb.jpg.c7371f98b784aa7fdead14ebb8dba8db.jpg

6 hours ago, JTrevail said:

I reverse engineered the controller port bracket and had a buddy print it out for me. I had to trim it a bit before installation. If anyone is interested, I will rev it up and share the STL file.

I did a thing:

bracket.thumb.png.634fb1332fd3c731b364b8c5dbe3c6bc.png

bracket.stl

• 8 months later...

how does that work????????????????

im not a new subscriber...

• 8 months later...

Apologies for the necro post but I just recently built my own Xbox PC. I wasn't too happy with the overall finish of it so I'm working on a version 2 inside a clear Xbox chassis. @AlexTheGreatish You guys ever thought about revisiting something like this with water cooling?

For those interested in my specs:

Hardware:
CPU - Intel i5 10400
Motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix B460-I Gaming
RAM - 32 GB Trident Z RGB 3600 MHz CL18 (Limited to 2666 because of the board 😑)
GPU - Zotac RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC 12 GB
PSU - HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX + 19.5V 16.9A 330W AC Adapter (laptop charger)
SSD - 250GB Samsung 980 Pro / 2TB Intel 660P

Cooling:
3x Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM
5x Noctua NF-A4x10 PWM
Right Radiator: Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 3x40mm
Left Radiator: Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 2x40mm
GPU Block / Pump: Alphacool NexXxoS GPX Pro Solo
CPU Block / Pump: Alphacool NexXxoS Eisbaer LT

Front IO:
Power button and power LED function
2x USB 3.0
2x USB 2.0

Extras:
Full set of home made custom PSU cables 😀

PXL_20211001_074350129.jpg

PXL_20211001_074432555.jpg

PXL_20211001_074502490.jpg

PXL_20211001_033549696.jpg

PXL_20211001_034759761.jpg

On 12/24/2021 at 5:54 AM, James Evens said:

@Mastur_Mynd Be carefull with those 90 degree power adapter. Another user of this forum had his PC burning because one of them failed. 

Good call. I'm not going to be using it in the next iteration. This one was mostly a proof of concept to make sure I could fit a full custom water loop in this form factor. Next is the fun part: CAD, cursing and completion (hopefully)

On 12/28/2021 at 3:17 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

Hot damn that is cool.  Did the top go back on?

Yep! Though the rear right corner sits a little proud because I couldn't put a mounting screw there. Currently working on V2, which will secure all 4 corners. Here's a sneak peek with some test fitting (ignore the 40mm fan, it's just there for the 20mm depth).

Also having an internal shell fabricated (prototype) since I'm planning on putting this all in a clear Xbox and the original is a bit marred. Step files attached in case anyone wants to check it out.

PXL_20211229_211623356.jpg

PXL_20211229_211642759.jpg

6-32 taps.png

formed.step flat.step

• 7 months later...

When I built my PC in an xbox chassis, I found a working black xbox online, and transplanted the internals into my dead translucent green xbox.

The working hardware has since died; there are signs of dead capacitors and some lines that need to be jumpered.

PXL_20220801_165048740_MP.thumb.jpg.ea1fcecc5d491178433f177b4f4b4066.jpg

I would like this machine to go to a good home, even just to use the chassis.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Ive been working on this build lately, using the following gear.

ASRock B550M-ITX/AC
AMD 5600G (Stock cooler for testing purposes swapping out with a SilverStone AR09-AM4)
2 x 32gb DDR 3200mhz curical ddr4
generic 2tb nvme m.2
RTX 4060

Using a 90deg pcie riser (image attached). I had a few issues primarily with the hight, but also clearance for the 180deg power adapter on the gpu. so I had to shift some things around, which you can see in my test fit up photos attached. Ive had the redrawings redrawn to suit my changes, I am in the process of getting the new tray all fabbed up with the changes, once i do, ill get some updated photos.

Ive also added in the a port in the top left for the 6pin molex connector, as I am using the Plex 400W and I didnt want to run it off a dell power brick.

Anyway incase others in the future come across my issues, ive attached the updated drawings to make life eaiser. 

Cheers

IMG_20230814_105920271_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230814_105927551_HDR.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Xbox Sheet Metal Base Drawing12_08_23.DWG Xbox Sheet Metal Base Drawing12_08_23.EDRW Xbox Sheet Metal Base Drawing12_08_23.pdf Xbox Sheet Metal Base Drawing12_08_23.SLDDRW Xbox Sheet Metal Base12_08_23.SLDPRT Xbox Sheet Metal Base12_08_23.STEP