Moving Windows from HDD to SSD?

AntonChigurh
Go to solution Solved by Snipergod87,
4 minutes ago, HingaDingaDurgen said:

Don't have room, it's only a 120gb SSD

Then reinstall windows on SSD (unplug HDD during this) after replug HDD and try repointing to game files, most games /apps will need to be reinstalled due to missing reg and dll's.

You can't move just Windows.

So I acquired an SSD for my PC a few months back (after multiple months of having Windows and all my games installed on a 1TB HDD), and I want to migrate Windows from my HDD to my SSD, as my HDD seems to be bottlenecking it in some way (start menu and search take forever to load, applications take ages to open whilst playing even low requirement games, etc). However, after researching, it seems that I can't move just Windows to my SSD. All the sources I see say you need to wipe both your drives and do a fresh install of Windows on your SSD, which I am very reluctant to do, as I have approximately 3 million games and double that in mods for said games installed. I'd like to find a way to move just my windows files to my SSD and use it as my boot drive without wiping my entire PC clean.

TL;DR: OP needs to find a way to move Windows to his SSD without doing a complete fresh install and losing all his files

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, Snipergod87 said:

You can either move all or nothing.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Plenty of disk dupe utils out there, easus for one.  Worked for me.

1 minute ago, HingaDingaDurgen said:

3 million games on a 120GB... really?

4 minutes ago, HingaDingaDurgen said:

Then reinstall windows on SSD (unplug HDD during this) after replug HDD and try repointing to game files, most games /apps will need to be reinstalled due to missing reg and dll's.

You can't move just Windows.

Easiest way to go about this is just reinstall windows and wipe the HDD. I went through a nightmare trying to do it my last time as windows does not enjoy being cloned or moved to another drive very much anymore.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Try using EaseUS or Macrium Reflect 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, fargonaz said:

3 million games on a 120GB... really?

Obvious hyperbole. Plus, most of my games are on my HDD. My SSD has the handful of games I play the most (TF2, Rainbow Six, DS3, etc)

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

It's gonna have to be either all or nothing unfortunately like snipergod87 said. Save up some mula and grab yourself a 1TB ssd, format the hard drive and keep any new games on there.

If you knew you were gonna migrate to an SSD beforehand you could have pre-partitioned it so a utility such as EaseUS/Macrium Reflect/Partition Wizard could easily migrate the OS while keeping your games on the hdd. In future, limit your Windows partition to say 100GB, while leaving the rest of the hdd for data files, so if you choose to migrate to an SSD you can just clone the windows partition over while keeping all the data intact on the hdd.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

2 hours ago, HingaDingaDurgen said:

...I have approximately 3 million games and double that in mods for said games installed...

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate. And I don't want o hear about your hyper pole. ?

All seriousness aside, 120GB is really going to limit you, especially since you're a gamer. I would return the 120GB SSD and exchange it for someting much larger, one that can also hold your games. If you can't return the SSD, can't afford a larger one, or don't mind keeping the games on your HDD, there is another route you can do to avoid having to reinstall everything the hard way.

First, I recommend using Macrium Reflect Free, then clone your HDD to your back up drive. Don't have a backup drive? For shame; get one (two would be better). You should be keeping backups of your data, etc. to avoid losing it should someting go horribly wrong on your maind drive(s).

Once you have cloned your HDD to another one, delete everything from the original HDD except your OS and any programs you want on the SSD. Use Macrium Reflect to clone what's left on the HDD to the SSD. Disconnect the HDD and try to boot from the SSD (you may have to change a few drive letters and, possibly, change the boot order in the BIOS).

If the SSD boots and everything runs correctly, reconnect the HDD. Erase the OS and programs you cloned to the SSD from the backup HDD, then clone the backup back to the original HDD.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

There is also hardcore method. Install Windows on SSD, use second computer, plug both drives and use Directory Opus to copy Windows, Users and both Program Files directories with keeping their full permissions (remove old folders first). There is an option in configuration to do that (keeping permissions). You may try that just for fun for learn something about how it really works. :)

Macrium Reflect, or Carbon Copy Cloner if you have a mac and an HDD dock. (I prefer CCC, personally. I want a Mac Pro for this reason)

Both can shrink drive partitions to fit on the SSD if it can be shrunk to fit.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは