Why did you buy an Android phone?

21 minutes ago, James said:

because iphones are very weak and unreliable and very over priced, my current phone is better then the iphone that comes out in 10 years

Due to climate in my country, Iphones have been notorious for shutting down in the cold weather whenever ive been outside. something i wouldnt want to happen if i were stuck somewhere. it has simply been too cold for the iphone to operate properly. 

Headphone Jack. the ability to hook up my phone to pretty much anything is super useful

OLED without breaking your bank. OLED was one of the main requirements when i bought my phone. The Iphone X wasnt out and even if it was, its cost to get OLED was simply way to high. and OLED combo-ed with Darkmode is frickin awsome.

The ability to "easily" load a custom Rom on my phone is super enticing and something i wanted if at some point the phone felt "boring". something IOS has been for me for a long time and the effort and time needed to run something else than IOS is not worth it. 

Customization. while android certainly isnt the most customizable OS out there, its on a whole new level compared to IOS

USB-C: this new standard for connectors is becoming super widespread with uses everywhere. 

"better" phones (subjective). structural integrity of a lot of Android phones and IP rating is fantastic. and if a phone turns out to be bad you dont have to wait a gen for the company to release a new device. the Choice to pick between multiple makes it so you arent reliant on the same company delivering every year. something no Company will be able to follow up on. 

Because it has 3.5mm audio jack

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Due to climate in my country, Iphones have been notorious for shutting down in the cold weather whenever ive been outside. something i wouldnt want to happen if i were stuck somewhere. it has simply been too cold for the iphone to operate properly. 

Thats due more to the battery.

In no important order, but what matters to me:

• There is a great used market for still very good phones
  • For advanced users, the ability to use a custom OS to increase the lifespan of the device
  • You can pick a device with the features you want (headphone jack, home button, stereo speakers, notch vs no-notch, camera setup, etc.)
  • Often cheaper repair / replacement
  • Ability to use multiple app stores
  • Customizable home-screen / ability to use launchers
  • Easy developer controls
  • Great enterprise deployment systems
  • Button customization (except Bixby... sad day...)
  • Option for cheap or flagship phones

Because nowadays you either buy an Android OS phone or you buy an overpriced iOS phone, I wanted to get out of this so much I owned a Windows Phone but nobody supported it and it died.

So basically if you don't care about overpriced iPhones you get an Android phone... there's barely any special reason to it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Thats due more to the battery.

you know, i would agree. but it happened regardless of the health of the battery. meaning the batteries are bad from the get-go. or at least cant handle the cold. 

its to the point where people sell phone pockets to keep their phones in so they dont freeze

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

you know, i would agree. but it happened regardless of the health of the battery. meaning the batteries are bad from the get-go. or at least cant handle the cold. 

its to the point where people sell phone pockets to keep their phones in so they dont freeze

Its not the health of the battery I am talking about. Lipos voltage drop in cold condition are exponential. I dont care what phone you have, if the battery cannot stay relatively warm, its going to shut off. 

1. freedom
    • free to set my homescreen as i see fit
    • free to choose my default apps
    • free to obtain apps from other sources
    • free to run my own python scripts
  2. option
    • ability to jump from one oem to another when the current one no longer offers what i want
    • wider price range
    • can choose to lock myself to a vendors ecosystem or avoid it completely with ease
  3. functionality
    • closest mobile OS that can mimic a desktop OS
    • powerful apps like tasker
    • OTG
  4. XDA

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Customization, a wide range of devices available for every price point and I don't like Apple. Also a 3.5mm headphone jack and no notch on my phone :D 

1. Because there are literally thousands to chose from. There's only really 1 iPhone and that's it. 

2. File management. I like to just go through folders and stuff and not use some iTunes sh#t. Tried copying pics from a friend's iPhone to my PC which was literally impossible without iTunes or we were just too stupid. 

3. Gesture control. I can just draw a "V" on my turned off screen and it lights the flashlight. Or a "C" for camera. Does Apple have this? I'm not sure but don't think so. 

4. I just like the UI. App drawers are nice. The menus are Sooo much more intuitive imo. The recent apps, back and home buttons are very nice aswell, although some of the new ones also have a "swipe to go back" thingy I quite enjoy. 

5. Price. Although I'm currently looking into the 1000€ Huawei Mate 20 Pro there's also options available for 100€. Or 200€. Or 300€. You name it. Whatever fits your budget. 

6. Freedom. I'm not chained into some shitty ecosystem that shrinks down my possibilities even more. 1 possible iPhone to chose from. 2 macbooks to chose from. 2 iPad to chose from etc. With Android? Thousands of options. Ofc they don't initially work seemingly together but you can customize everything to do. 

A thing I hate though is the update philosophy. After 2 years it's literally over and even within those 2 years they are pretty rare. 

Edit: also @James this is the wrong subforum, please read the forum rules and guidelines ;)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

the sheer amount you can customize on android without rooting it is amazing. it truly feels like a personal device (check the ss) and not to mention the multitasking capabilities.on top of that android phones have ridiculous amounts of battery too! (select phones obviously)

headphone jack, viper4audio mod (thank god for this) substratum,magisk provide more functionality/customization than you'll ever need.

the ability to make changes in the os, file system access, and easy connectivity is great at cheaper prices.

Screenshot_20190114-184307.png

Screenshot_20190104-023835.png

Why did you buy an Android phone?

Why not? I own both android and apple devices, and use 2 phones daily and 3 tablets on and off. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Its not the health of the battery I am talking about. Lipos voltage drop in cold condition are exponential. I dont care what phone you have, if the battery cannot stay relatively warm, its going to shut off. 

well, Iphone in general then have lower operating temperature ranges. as the only phones ive seen shutdown are Iphones. and during condiditons where they have shutdown everything else has worked. 

i know of the voltage drop that occurs. its a issue that hits electric cars a lot here. still doesnt change the fact Iphones have regurarly failed in conditions where every other phone ive seen has been fine. something which is not good in cold weather conditions if something were to happen

I bought an Android phone because it was cheaper, and has features that I prefer, such as a 3.5mm headphone jack and a microSD slot. Having the ability to cheaply add storage is very useful. The headphone jack is an important one to me, since I charge the phone while listening to music, not needing dongles is also nice. The file manager is so much easier to use for me, just drag and drop pics or music. And I greatly prefer the ability to customize the home screen and default apps.

Because
-it's not locked down to a walled garden.
-you can easily sideload apps.
-install a custom version of Android if you want to.
-get rid of apps you don't want.
-customize the experience and where you want your icons.

-No matter what your budget and needs are, there's a phone for you. (Low budget but want a battery that will last for days? There's an android phone for that)
-can be repaired without Apple swooping down on you and locking features/bricking your phone.

-expendable local storage, no need to rely on the cloud, hence can just get a much cheaper phone plan without data.

(For example, it cost me $15/month with Telus because I barely use my smartphone as a "communication device" through the provider's network unless I really need since everywhere I go there's wifi so I can just shoot emails/message to others easily, it's only 100 minutes and 100 texts, but never went over)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

33 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

1. Because there are literally thousands to chose from. There's only really 1 iPhone and that's it. 

at the moment there are 4 iPhones you can buy directly from Apple. 2 of those are old models though AFAIK.

1 possible iPhone to chose from. 2 macbooks to chose from. 2 iPad to chose from etc.

2 iPhone models (technically 4 but 2 are old), 3 MacBook models.

Gesture control. I can just draw a "V" on my turned off screen and it lights the flashlight. Or a "C" for camera. Does Apple have this? I'm not sure but don't think so. 

Apple doesn't have this. 

42 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I owned a Windows Phone but nobody supported it and it died.

F

i am an iPhone 7 user if that matters at all. 

She/Her

ok things that are actiually usefull(none of that "hurr durr customisation" that i have barely ever touched):

Headphone Jack

USB OTG

USB C

USB 3.1

Local files you can use, videos, PDFs and so on, because file browsers

Installing apps from anywhere

Nicer navigation

More apps that can do more things

More free apps

Good price for the build, performance and screen you get generally

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The headphone jack is nice. You overall have more innovation on the Android ecosystem with more solutions to the same problems, and therefore a solution that fits you more.

I also feel like a kid with an iPhone. You have to go through iTunes to move around files, you can't change all settings and you are tied to the only way of doing things that is intended by Apple and that's it. For someone who don't like to be forced to do something that's a huge no no, nd I like that Android mostly let's me do whatever I want.

Plus I really like the aesthetics of my s8!

- Price

- Easy to program

- Easy to deploy apps on the store (for developer)

- Transparent Operating System. (obviously it's a double edge sword)

- Customizability

- Plug into ANY computer copy and paste it works. no need for ITunes or something like that

- Third party power adapter don't kill your phone.

Customization, bigger app selection, wider range of phones.

And a headphone jack.

19 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

at the moment there are 4 iPhones you can buy directly from Apple. 2 of those are old models though AFAIK.

afaik its the old phones + new smol phone plus new big phone. 

if Apple makes a bad phone one year, you are stuck waiting untill next year or buying a old device. which is "meh"

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

afaik its the old phones + new smol phone plus new big phone. 

if Apple makes a bad phone one year, you are stuck waiting untill next year or buying a old device. which is "meh"

that is true. but i was adressing the claim that there is only 1 model, which is false. there are big differences between the Xs and the Xr, so 'one is big and one is small' doesn't cover it either. 

She/Her