So this happened today.....(story)

Taswell

I ran into some shit today that i feel like i need to share with some people who would understand. I will try to link picture of parts so you can get an idea of what stuff was.

I got a call from a customer today that I have never dealt with. I was an elderly gentleman who wanted me to come and clean up his computer digitally and physically, I didn't really want to since my company mostly deals with business clients but he said that he would pay for at least an hour so I was basically forced into it by my boss. Last call of the day.   

So I get there, this guys is living alone in the smallest studio apartment in town that mildly smells like dog fart and mothballs. He has no actual furniture except for the counter which is built into the wall, and metal laundry rack that is his pantry/microwave stand, 2 card tables(one for the pc one,one for one janky looking TV from 2001), and everything else is stacked in clear plastic bins scattered everywhere. Immediate mental yikes. 

I get to the PC, Start doing general OS maintenance, msconfig, AV, Browser cleanup, and all that shit. Aside from him running windows 7 home with High contrast mode and having about every media player on the planet, everything is normal. I explain what I have done and we go on to the physical cleaning, I ask "where is the PC?" as i don't see it either on the table under the table or in any of the places a normal. He moves the Monitor aside and moves the curtain behind it that I though was there to hide the shitty cement wall. Behind this curtain there is this random cubby hole where he has crammed this PC in a old  Coolermaster HAF case, and it is one of the nastiest Looking PCs i have seen. This is where shit gets weird.        

Here is a Part Picker list to the best of my ability of what is was. 

(the only thing on here im not sure of are the optical drives)

I make a comment about how gross the PC looks, and he tells he has had it for a little over a year and has no idea how it got so dirty. To which I respond "how much did you get it on eBay for?". He proudly looks at me and says he built it himself around the beginning of last year for $4000. To which I am trying really to be professional and not look shocked or laugh. To distract myself I start taking the side panel off I can blow this thing out and GTFO. Meanwhile he starts asking me if I know anyone who wants a used gaming PC and " do you think I could get $4000 for it". At this point I am just done with this whole situation and I start being extremely blunt and just answer "I highly doubt it". He start arguing that he spent $$$_____  on this or that part alone that it should worth something. So I brought up the Intel ark for the 4790k and tried to explain that he has an almost obsolete platform and an even older GPU, to which he was very defiant. The only new parts in the build where the SSD, PSU, and the cooler. If the case was new it certainly didn't look it. Upon further inspection the optical drives where also dead, not unplugged, dead

My guess was he bought from those listings on newegg or amazon that have old hardware at above retail for some reason and thought that since it was at the top of the price bracket that it was the best. I don't know how it totaled $4000 and I didn't want to stay to ask.  I wish I would have managed to take some pictures. 

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

2 minutes ago, Taswell said:

He start arguing that he spent $$$

Those people will never learn the economics of depreciation. How to deal with that, tell him the truth and leave it at that. Tell him to look at the online classifieds and ebay for similar pc's and he can then judge what price he thinks he can get for a $150 pc.

I would have explained that parts appreciate quickly over time, especially Intel, and that you could probably get 6 or so grand for it, easy.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

I'm trying to figure out why would he buy "presumably" top of the line PC if he doesn't need that much compute power? 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Crummy video card and 470 bucks for a 4790k is the biggest rip off.... You can get a 9900k spending just 80 dollars more lol,  Also shitty video card too.  I don't understand how he spent 4 thousand bucks on that crummy box.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

The I7 4769K is €200, together with the mobo and RAM that's ~€400. PSU is another €200 and the rest together somewhere around €150. So this dude spent $4000 on a €750 pc... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I don't think the guy ever understood the concept of depreciation.

When you buy a car for $60,000, you can't sell it at $60k years later because it would've depreciated over time. The only exceptions to the rule are buildings, very limited-run items and some other stuff.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On a used platform I'd only spend $200 and change on a 4790k if the motherboard was bundled (of course it'd need to be z97 and have a decent VRM). I'd probably be willing to spend $300 maximum for a package deal of 16 GB RAM (all I'd use), mobo, and 4790k since I can spend just $70 more and get this:

Spoiler
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $164.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $92.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $372.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-18 03:14 EST-0500  

The PSU is nice, but it's more than I'd need. I'd only be willing to pay $50 for it since I could get a new RM550x for $60.

Spoiler
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $79.99
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $59.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-18 03:20 EST-0500  

Everything else except the storage and H100i is worthless to me. I probably couldn't sell an old GTX 660, Windows 7 is starting to become a malware hazard, the effort of cleaning an old and un-kept HAF case is more than the case is worth to me, and I will never use optical drives (and they're broken in this case).

H100i: $20 since the PC was obviously neglected and it might not have much life left. Probably not a problem since the odds are very low, but a leaky hose due to age (aged plastics/rubber = cracks) could kill the build.

Storage: $40 since it's a decent size ssd, but it is a cheap kingston unit that may or may not have seen a lot of writes in its life and I'll have to zero it out before touching it.

I'd either pay $60 for a nice Phanteks P300 or go for some cheaper case for $30-40.

In total I'd pay a maximum of $500 for this. That's only because I could profit off of selling the RM850x and buying a cheaper new RM550x to replace it and I could sell 16 GB of ram that I won't use. Getting rid of the GPU and case would be a pain. Cleaning and replacing the thermal paste and moving the components to a new case will take time and always has the inherent risk of damaging components (however unlikely).

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

47 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

I don't think the guy ever understood the concept of depreciation.

When you buy a car for $60,000, you can't sell it at $60k years later because it would've depreciated over time. The only exceptions to the rule are buildings, very limited-run items and some other stuff.

Also land, some antiques, some stocks, cars if you are a scummy used car dealership, and GPUs back in the mining craze!

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

Just leave the old man alone, he’s part of a older generation that doesn’t follow modern day tech so it’s not something surprising or to be angry about.

most people that age are at the point of stagnation, never learn and never change, hence the saying of “stubborn old man”