Are these kinds of adapters a good idea?

john01dav

Hello,

I have a motherboard with 2 CPU power connectors: a 4 pin connector, and an 8 pin connector (see the attached screenshot from the manual). My PSU (650W, should be plenty for the build that should use ~300W), however, only has a single EPS cable. Is it a good idea to get one of these and connect it to a PCIe cable, that has plenty of? It's a fully modular PSU, and the EPS/CPU and PCIe cables have interchangable slots on the PSU, so any of them should be able to handle the power draw patterns of a CPU.

Screenshot from 2019-01-16 18-56-53.png

I can't see the screenshot you attached to your post, this could just be a problem on my end tho

No. Unless you're on HEDT, the extra 4 pin connector is as useless as RGB, when it comes to running the system. Just ignore it

:)

3 minutes ago, Jaok said:

I can't see the screenshot you attached to your post, this could just be a problem on my end tho

Oops. Here's the screenshot.

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

No. Unless you're on HEDT, the extra 4 pin connector is as useless as RGB, when it comes to running the system. Just ignore it

Any significant chance that the product I linked will cause problems? The CPU is a 9900k, so I prefer to give it as much power as the mobo wants to.

27 minutes ago, john01dav said:

Any significant chance that the product I linked will cause problems? The CPU is a 9900k, so I prefer to give it as much power as the mobo wants to.

You'd have trouble taking advantage of the 4-pin if you overclocked that thing way above and beyond on LN2.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

4 minutes ago, 2SidedPolygon said:

You'd have trouble taking advantage of the 4-pin if you overclocked that thing way above and beyond on LN2.

I am also concerned because the manual has vague language about not booting up if it doesn't have it in -- and this is the exact issue that I have. The connector costs < U$10 (about half that if I get something near identical on Newegg), so unless it will cause damage, I want it.

3 minutes ago, john01dav said:

I am also concerned because the manual has vague language about not booting up if it doesn't have it in -- and this is the exact issue that I have. The connector costs < U$10 (about half that if I get something near identical on Newegg), so unless it will cause damage, I want it.

I mean, it shouldn't cause damage, it's just a waste.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

23 hours ago, john01dav said:

Hello,

I have a motherboard with 2 CPU power connectors: a 4 pin connector, and an 8 pin connector (see the attached screenshot from the manual). My PSU (650W, should be plenty for the build that should use ~300W), however, only has a single EPS cable. Is it a good idea to get one of these and connect it to a PCIe cable, that has plenty of? It's a fully modular PSU, and the EPS/CPU and PCIe cables have interchangable slots on the PSU, so any of them should be able to handle the power draw patterns of a CPU.

You shouldn't need both the 8-pin and 4-pin for normal use.

What kind of PSU is it?  Is it not modular?  Can you not just buy an additional cable for it instead of a janky adapter?

10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

You shouldn't need both the 8-pin and 4-pin for normal use.

What kind of PSU is it?  Is it not modular?  Can you not just buy an additional cable for it instead of a janky adapter?

It's the Seasonic M12II EVO (that I bought after the good review on your website). It only came with a single EPS cable (I got the 650W version), but had a warning against using non-Seasonic cables and I can't find anywhere to buy a Seasonic one.

Also though, it appears that the PSU that I got has killed two mobos. I RMA'd the first one, after thinking that it was dead, and the second one didn't work with the Seasonic PSU, but now, after I replaced the PSU, power cycles with a single beep on some reboots. The new PSU, that I took from a working system (so I assume that it's fine), makes a clicking noise.

14 hours ago, john01dav said:

It's the Seasonic M12II EVO (that I bought after the good review on your website). It only came with a single EPS cable (I got the 650W version), but had a warning against using non-Seasonic cables and I can't find anywhere to buy a Seasonic one.

What they mean is don't use cables that aren't made for Seasonic power supplies.  i.e. Don't plug a Corsair cable into a Seasonic power supply.

But companies like @CableMod make after market cables for PSUs like Seasonic.

A proper cable is far better than any adapter.