Nvidia Said We Couldn't Game On This...

Hi there, 1st please sorry for my bad english, i do my best! :)

I would like to ask, which is the lowest generation CPU which this method works for gaming on a mining card. As i read the 3rd generation intel processors are not good. Are the 4th generations good for this? 

My second question is, what brand of card should i buy to make this done? Only the gigabyte branded cards are good?

Thank for the answers, much appreciated.

Peter

On 9/21/2019 at 1:07 AM, Peter81 said:

I would like to ask, which is the lowest generation CPU which this method works for gaming on a mining card. As i read the 3rd generation intel processors are not good. Are the 4th generations good for this? 

My second question is, what brand of card should i buy to make this done? Only the gigabyte branded cards are good?

Peter

That's right, 4th generation Intel Core or higher. I used a Gigabyte card with my own minor overclocking and it works fine.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for this

i have 2 questions

1. What are applications for this other than gaming? (Since it doesn’t support encoding)

2. Can it be used on Hackintosh that would be so awesome!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 11:07 PM, Peter81 said:

Peter

I managed to run vulkan based games on 2nd gen intel on Windows 10. My setup is an i7 2600k in a z77 asrock board. In case you are using linux then none of the hassle is required, as my linux installation of POP_OS ran this card from get go. Only played shatter and dota 2 in steam but i think all steam games can be played using proton.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:52 PM, rhradec said:

1. Did someone actually tried to run a P106 on a Linux distro? (X11 runs without monitor, and one can access it using nomachine, vnc, xpra or even VirtuaGL directly over ssh)

There is interesting experience about running P106 on Ubuntu Linux + VNC + Steam streaming: https://ncrmnt.org/2019/08/04/linux-gaming-with-p106-100/

I didn't try this way yet.

• 5 months later...

I assume that in the recent Nvidia driver for Linux it should very easy to pass through the video output of the Nvidia GPU to onboard Intel GPU. You could try tools like optimus-manager for Arch Linux in hybrid mode which does exactly the same thing as described in the video but without any "hacky" patched driver manipulations. On Ubuntu, you can try nvidia-prime

hy

got a zotac p102-100 5gb 

i flashed it with a 10gb bios but i can't find any working driver beside the one from inno3d site 

that driver however doesn't let me use it like a dedicated laptop video card 

any moded driver or what to edit in nvidia driver?

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2019 at 8:23 PM, RobbinM said:

Yes! This reply is what I came for.

The card you are looking for is the P104-100.

Still, you would need those unsigned drivers I'd think, because it will (probably) not recognize the P104-100 as the second card for a SLI setup.

@LinusTech If I already had a 1070, I would buy a P104-100, try to flash the BIOS to a normal card and put it in the second slot. No need for an output if it isn't your primary card.

Another option for multi-GPU is the DX12 solution, but if it'll work at all is a question, the second question would be if it's worth it when only a single game supports DX12 multiGPU.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

a trustworthy online shop in EU where I live is selling some Zotac p102-100 for 99€ brand new, I guess they just want to make space on their shelves.

I ordered one to fiddle with, and I was curious about the die on it: is it a gtx 1070 with gddr5x, or a 1080 with some cuda cores disabled via software?

I know that pascal bioses can’t be edited yet, but it would be interesting to be able to unlock the remaining cuda cores as well, considering that someone already manage to unlock 4gb of extra gddr5x which were disabled via software (bios)..

• 2 years later...

Who said "it doesn't work on 3rd generation"? It works without R9 on iGPU, but was not fully supported. Maybe it could be adjusted... It was a quick test.. GTA V runs nicely on 102+iGpu. From the 4th generation, it works fine even for normal switching in windows, but I found that Borderlands 2 Remastered only works on iGPU - I don't care, I don't play games