Nvidia Said We Couldn't Game On This...

5 minutes ago, poorboy said:

Well, I made this account specifically to discuss implementing a P106 into a computer build because I spent my own money and did all of this myself and I wanted to advise people who wanted to do something similar.

But hey, if you want to ignore me, then go ahead. You do you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not that I want to ignore you, I am thankful for your feedback but the site is a bit buggy e.g it doesnt add the item to card and obviously it could be due to an other technicall issue but nevertheless giving my credit card details to an "agent" website in china (= rules that apply here in europe about retrieving my money or safety of personal details may not apply) is kind of a risk especially if I dont know anything about the particular agent and not know any people that can vouch for it.

So that is the reason I am asking of other people to give me feedback for this or an other agent and/or instruction on how to buy this damn card I want so much to acquire :P

EDIT: it would be even better if someone of the linus staff could enlighten me on how they have acquired the card. 

On 1/18/2019 at 12:05 PM, Timoran Synkral said:

I'd really like to try this but taobao does not allow shipping to USA. Google Translate says the error is "According to relevant local laws and regulations and Taobao policy, this product cannot be shipped to your country or region."

Is there a trustworthy forwarding service in China similar to Tenso in Japan?

Little update, I ended up buying from the original Taobao link for the Gigabyte card through Superbuy.com which went pretty well, cost me $27 for the EMS shipping (which must include their markup for labor since there's no other place they could collect it). I got the exact card Linus got, it was very dusty and had a long history of mining. I installed it in my old (but still decently snappy) 3770K system. For some reason the card refused to show up as a high-performance processor even though I did everything right.

Here's the solution I found after more digging (it was bad news):

My first problem was trying to do this in Win8.1 which is what my old PC had on it, don't bother, you need 10. I tried again with 10, and I could see the screen where you could choose the High Performance GPU, but P106 never appeared there. After trying so many things, I found the post by Alenfox on the other thread about these P106es and got the answer that my CPU simply could not support the switchable GPU feature.

Not to be deterred I built a system around a Coffee Lake CPU and when I did that, I basically did exactly what they did in the video and got the same results. I have the computer hooked up to a 1680x1050 monitor so maybe that's not so challenging but the P106 puts out what looks like smooth 60fps with no stutter running GTAV. (I did run a control test because I was curious if "Intel UHD 630" was any better than their integrated graphics used to be... and no, it's total crap.)

Would I recommend it? No, at least not unless you have a compatible CPU and mobo laying around. It means you have to buy a high end CPU, which is also in short supply and you're paying a little bit above MSRP for currently, to have a switchable integrated GPU. I suppose a Coffee Lake i5 or i3 (even celeron, pentium?) would work but that wasn't an option I would accept considering that would mean going out and buying a new CPU with less power than my old 3770K!

There is one situation where this card might be handy and that's if you've got a low profile system like a mATX or ITX, and wanted to install a good gaming GPU, since good low profile GPUs basically don't exist, you could do the P106 with this integrated graphics passthrough and use the outputs on the I/O shield, no need for any full height bays at all. If the card doesn't fit in the case plugged into PCIe, a flexible riser will fix that.

Also use my WCP watermark editor if you are tired of being reminded you are in test mode on the desktop.

2 hours ago, Timoran Synkral said:

It means you have to buy a high end CPU, which is also in short supply and you're paying a little bit above MSRP for currently, to have a switchable integrated GPU.

Not exactly. In a previous post, I built a brand new desktop specifically tailored for this card, and it was probably the best price-performance ratio I've ever gotten. I used a Ryzen 3 2200G, which is comparatively extremely cheap.

2 hours ago, Timoran Synkral said:

Little update, I ended up buying from the original Taobao link for the Gigabyte card through Superbuy.com which went pretty well

Nice to know that Superbuy is a reputable agent! I'll remember that for future US buyers.

hi..i gotta a question..

has been trying for whole day on getting the p106 works.. end up not working as expected.

I am using windows build 1809 latest build.

CPU: i3-3220 with Integrated GPU - Intel HD 2500

anyone successfully using this build for the p106-100 test ?

I will do another attempt using windows 10 build 1803

if anyone have the experience..kindly share me..

14 hours ago, cForce said:

CPU: i3-3220 with Integrated GPU - Intel HD 2500

Check what I posted 2 posts up, you had the same problem as me.

Ivy Bridge and earlier will not support the switchable GPU no matter how hard you try.

25 minutes ago, Timoran Synkral said:

Ivy Bridge and earlier will not support the switchable GPU no matter how hard you try.

Hi bro,

did a try just now Using windows build 1803..

negative result.

think i need to give up this 3rd gen CPU already for this test.

now i am going to 4th gen CPU and give it a shot

14 hours ago, Timoran Synkral said:

13 hours ago, cForce said:

Hi bro,

did a try just now Using windows build 1803..

negative result.

think i need to give up this 3rd gen CPU already for this test.

now i am going to 4th gen CPU and give it a shot

From what I can gather, it looks like Windows just doesn't see the iGPU on pre-Haswell as "low power", so there must be a whitelist or something like that somewhere... The problem is that I haven't been able to find it searching through the registry (maybe it's in the driver infs somewhere... But I didn't see it there, either), so unfortunately unless someone figures that out, there's not likely to be a solution for older generation CPUs or for non-SLI multi-GPU setups anytime soon.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

On 2/20/2019 at 7:55 PM, GabenJr said:

From what I can gather, it looks like Windows just doesn't see the iGPU on pre-Haswell as "low power", so there must be a whitelist or something like that somewhere... The problem is that I haven't been able to find it searching through the registry (maybe it's in the driver infs somewhere... But I didn't see it there, either), so unfortunately unless someone figures that out, there's not likely to be a solution for older generation CPUs or for non-SLI multi-GPU setups anytime soon.

Hello, do you think you are going to find any way to use it on older gen CPU? I have a i5-3550 with a Intel Graphics 2500 and I already ordered my card like 15 days ago and now I figured out it doesn't work for 3rd gen :/

8 hours ago, diogofcr said:

Hello, do you think you are going to find any way to use it on older gen CPU? I have a i5-3550 with a Intel Graphics 2500 and I already ordered my card like 15 days ago and now I figured out it doesn't work for 3rd gen :/

Try an older intel driver that still supported graphics switching. maybe something from 2016

3 hours ago, GhostlyCrowd said:

Try an older intel driver that still supported graphics switching. maybe something from 2016

I will try when it arrives, it has been shipped from China now (I caught the chinese new year). Thank you for the answer, I hope it works, someone with an older gen CPU should try this out!

Keeping an eye on this thread. I have a P106 and a 3rd gen i5-3470 cpu. Would love for these to play nice together. 

5 hours ago, Brolo said:

Keeping an eye on this thread. I have a P106 and a 3rd gen i5-3470 cpu. Would love for these to play nice together. 

Same, I am really sad now because people are saying it doesn't work. I hope someone is able to do it

16 hours ago, diogofcr said:

I will try when it arrives, it has been shipped from China now (I caught the chinese new year). Thank you for the answer, I hope it works, someone with an older gen CPU should try this out!

I know Intel retired the 3rd and second gen for legacy support only (so no GFX switching) due to "compatability and stability" but I'm not sure exactly when but hopefully its just a driver roll back.  I too caught the Chinese new year so mine shipped last friday and has left China now, hopefully on a plane and not a boat LOL 

10 hours ago, Brolo said:

Best thing you can do is join in the fun and experiment with the rest of the second and third gen guys. I have 4th Gen so i cannot test. But if my co-worker lets me tear apart his test bench at work its a 3rd gen and i can fiddle with that. 

29 minutes ago, GhostlyCrowd said:

I know Intel retired the 3rd and second gen for legacy support only (so no GFX switching) due to "compatability and stability" but I'm not sure exactly when but hopefully its just a driver roll back.  I too caught the Chinese new year so mine shipped last friday and has left China now, hopefully on a plane and not a boat LOL 

Best thing you can do is join in the fun and experiment with the rest of the second and third gen guys. I have 4th Gen so i cannot test. But if my co-worker lets me tear apart his test bench at work its a 3rd gen and i can fiddle with that. 

Same, mine was also on friday. Hopefully not a boat like you said ahaha

Right now I am trying to plug in my Monitor cable to the motherboard output and checking if I get the low and high performance GPU option with my current GPU (Asus amd HD7770), I guess it is a good way to test if it works with 3rd gen because it has the same effect, no?

I tried rolling back the drivers to the oldest one on the Intel Graphics 2400 support page (2016), like you said, but both still show up as Intel Graphics

I hope you or someone can figure something out, because I already tried everything :/

Just tried with a driver "Intel_VGA_Driver_V917102828_Win7_8" from 2012 and still didn't work

Screenshot 001.PNG

Screenshot.PNG

1 hour ago, diogofcr said:

Just tried with a driver "Intel_VGA_Driver_V917102828_Win7_8" from 2012 and still didn't work

Screenshot 001.PNG

Screenshot.PNG

Hm It must be a windows change then for sure, I was hoping it was just intels drivers. 

39 minutes ago, GhostlyCrowd said:

Hm It must be a windows change then for sure, I was hoping it was just intels drivers. 

I guess this is gonna make it harder or impossible...

Hi, so just received my p106.  I ordered it with a help from  https://tbfocus.com/ , cause original chinese  taobao is unable to ship to Poland. Whole process took over a month, card arrived in good solid package i just changed thermal paste and card is working flawlessly actually keeping temps lower than my 1080. 

I didn't need to modify any drives cause im using this card for 3D rendering using Cuda. 

Does this driver work on any P-106 and P-104, or just the modded one from China? I do indeed really like the idea of making your own modded firmware driver for the gpu.

There is no such thing as modded one from China, because of all NVIDIA cards have signed firmware.

So this driver work on any mining card.

for people who got the p104 , is the 4g a bottleneck ? and is there someone who got to unlock the full 8gb of vram ? a seller in taobao claims he can do it , and has anyone overclocked the monitor with it ? if yes , did you overclock with the nvidia card or the integrated one ?

• 2 weeks later...

And here I am, stuck with a i5 2320. Got the card in hand, then modded the driver and found out it doesn't work. My motherboard has lucid Virtu, but I can't make that work. Tried on my laptop with 4th gen 4710hq and Nvidia 840m gpu. In laptop it says windows can't use this device. And now I am confused what to do. Is it possible to use looking glass in Linux and then pass the gpu to a windows host to game on 2nd/3rd gen? Anyone tried that route? I want to try that but my job is taking nearly all my time for last 2 weeks.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:51 PM, Shibly said:

And here I am, stuck with a i5 2320. Got the card in hand, then modded the driver and found out it doesn't work. My motherboard has lucid Virtu, but I can't make that work. Tried on my laptop with 4th gen 4710hq and Nvidia 840m gpu. In laptop it says windows can't use this device. And now I am confused what to do. Is it possible to use looking glass in Linux and then pass the gpu to a windows host to game on 2nd/3rd gen? Anyone tried that route? I want to try that but my job is taking nearly all my time for last 2 weeks.

Update: the card ran fine on my MSI GP60-2PE laptop with one single problem. The card is crippled by the gen 1.1 1X bandwidth on GDC beast. Now looking for a 2nd hand 4690 and MSI z97 gaming 5 to run this. Still no luck with 2Nd gen Intel though. It would be so good if I can run the card on my 2Nd gen Intel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

i wonder can i get a 104 working with an x3470 dont know much but willing to resarch and work on it lol